PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Needed - Best Shades of Red Gel and Paint

Greg Guimond
07-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Red, can't live with it, can't live without it! Curious if anyone has re-gel'd with red and if so what manufacturer and manufacturer's color code did you use? Also interested in red paint codes as well as any pics as the deck stripe will be applied in paint. We are moving the project toward black gel primer on the hull bottom and then lipstick red hull and hull sides up to the rail. Plenty of reds out there and don't want to make a mistake :nilly:

axelkloehn
07-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Red, can't live with it, can't live without it! Curious if anyone has re-gel'd with red and if so what manufacturer and manufacturer's color code did you use? Also interested in red paint codes as well as any pics as the deck stripe will be applied in paint. We are moving the project toward black gel primer on the hull bottom and then lipstick red hull and hull sides up to the rail. Plenty of reds out there and don't want to make a mistake :nilly:

...go to Georges Carters thread (gcarter, http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476), you should find an answer there.
He did his testarossa in a beautiful red gel!
He is the expert for questions about different manufacturers of gel and paint!

gcarter
07-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes, I'm qualified to comment!
Minicraft was my supplier and advertises matching gel for most any boat mfgr.
Here's a link to their Donzi page;

https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm

There's been a few Donzi reds over the years. Probably the most seen is the 1968-1988 RT168.
This was the color the TR originally came in. It's OK, to each his own.
I don't remember the exact year the Arrownow Edition came out, but that year Donzi supplied one to the Homecoming in Sarasota. This boat was in 2003-2009 RT822

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57437&stc=1&d=1279972930

And this is how it turned out on the TR;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49708&stc=1&d=1250969971

It has a lot more orange than the original and is much brighter.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32143&d=1192048977

Which was the above mentioned '68-'88 RT168.
Well, picture and color qualities are always deceiving in photographs. Sometimes you just have to be there. :wink:

But what's so surprising is how different reds are. For instance, when I buy a piece of hardware that's been powdercoated red, like the EMI drive shower I bought, it looked bright purple in comparison.....I had to sand the powdercoat and paint it to match.

Over the years there have been some darker reds also, for instance the '94-'97 anniversary red. It's almost a maroon.

I hope this helps.

gcarter
07-24-2010, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't necessarily buy from Minicraft. I do because it's about 10 miles from my shop.
But they've just about doubled their prices in the last couple of years. Also, at times have a bit of an arrogant attitude. You'd think in this business climate they'd be a bit more accomodating. I will say their products are very good, and offer several grades of gel. One thing you'll find is darker colors are a lot more expensive than lighter colors due to the quantity of pigments required, and red pigments are the most expensive. Also, lighter colors are added to a base that includes white titanium and adds to the brightness of lighter colors, is actually much denser, and covers much more easily. Dark colors are based on a clear base so much more pigment is required to give the density needed. Dark colors are almost translucent.

Greg Guimond
07-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks Mr Carter, as you once said, each manufacturer has there own codes and there own reds. I want to make the right choice and I am sure that several members have turned red so hopefully they will add to your detailed post. Our thought is to prime the hull bottom in black, then lay the red over that. Chevy has a "torch red" that also is interesting and if we stripe in paint then I guess we could have the gel matched to that. Btw, I agree that Minicraft needs a customer satisfaction course of late.

gcarter
07-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Greg, I wish you well w/your quest.

One thing to be wary of is the black primer......it might significantly darken the red color you're shooting. I found these dark gells quite translucent.
Maybe you might want to experiment a bit........just a thought.

Greg Guimond
07-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks George,
Appreciate the feedback coming from someone of your experience level, never mind your experience with red! You bring up a good point with the black base. We were thinking that by priming the hull bottom with black it would help significantly with future wear and tear on the hull itself. That approach may call for a brighter red so will have to do some tests. This red also caught my eye, but I was not able to get the gel code manufacturer and code for it.

Any other codes and comments appreciated

Greg Guimond
07-24-2010, 09:19 AM
George,
Just want to be clear............

Photo #1 in your post = Factory Donzi AE shown in Minicraft RT822 gel?
Photo #2, and #3 is your current TR project that you chose RT822 gel

Have you ever used Minicraft High Gloss Clear? Curious how it would hold up to hardcore Florida sun

mattyboy
07-24-2010, 09:46 AM
in paint I liked this red on my 16 awlgrip sunfast red

http://www.awlgrip.com/support/colorcards/Pages/ColorCard.aspx?card=Standard

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15210&d=1128434090

gcarter
07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks George,
Appreciate the feedback coming from someone of your experience level, never mind your experience with red! You bring up a good point with the black base. We were thinking that by priming the hull bottom with black it would help significantly with future wear and tear on the hull itself. That approach may call for a brighter red so will have to do some tests. This red also caught my eye, but I was not able to get the gel code manufacturer and code for it.

Any other codes and comments appreciated

One thing Minicraft does do pretty well is match gel. I've used that serfvice more than once and it was very successful.
In my case it was on an engine hatch, but they could match a decent sized paint chip too. That service used to be about $75.00, which isn't unreasonable for the effort involved.

gcarter
07-24-2010, 10:32 AM
George,
Just want to be clear............

Photo #1 in your post = Factory Donzi AE shown in Minicraft RT822 gel?
Photo #2, and #3 is your current TR project that you chose RT822 gel

Have you ever used Minicraft High Gloss Clear? Curious how it would hold up to hardcore Florida sun

Yes, #1 and #2 both are RT822, #3 is the original RT168. Notice that the RT168 is slightly more purple than the RT822. Understand the pictures in #1 and #2 were taken w/a different camera, by different people under different circumstances. There'll always be visible differences. These computers will always lie to you.
When I bought the gel, I asked them about clear, they told me it would ultimately yellow w/age. This seems to be a new product they're advertising and I know nothing about it. They also offer a pre thinned, high gloss gel that requires little finishing. I haven't used it, but I would probably use it like a top coat. Minicraft in spite of all their baggage, are innovators, like their aerosol gel. I've used that product and it works.

OFFSHORE GINGER
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Greg Just curious have you considered using a primer made by Duratec that is used in the industry which comes in white .

mike o
07-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Greg Just curious have you considered using a primer made by Duratec that is used in the industry which comes in white .EVERYBODY SHOULD BE USING DURATEC......and leave the gelcoat on the boat, not on the floor............ :yes: and say goodbye to osmotic blistering :yes:.........forever.:kingme:

Greg Guimond
07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
OFFSHORE GINGER, mike o, thanks for the heads up on Duratec. Question for both of you and for George Carter, if we decide to gel with Minicraft RT822, would it matter if we prime with black or gray? The thought on black for the hull bottom was to help with wear and tear but now with the suggestion of white instead I'm not sure which i best.

Just to give the total picture, the hull bottom and hull sides and transom will all be red gel, then the deck, bench seat, and rumble seats and hatches will all be white, in either gel or paint, we have note decided yet. We like gel for scratch resistance, but like paint for ease of care and long term shine, can't decide :bonk: Then the topside red stripe will be laid down in paint.

The boat will also be used in salt water, and ideally left in the water for a week or two at a time. Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas.

gcarter
07-26-2010, 07:51 AM
I'd go w/white for this reason, no matter what happens, if you get severe scratches, simply fill them w/gel patch paste. This is the answer to touch up paint from the car dealer. Mix a small amount, fill the scratches, and cover w/tape until it hardens. Overfill a little because it shrinks. Color sand as necessary.
You can get quite good at this stuff!

Greg Guimond
07-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyone familiar with Cook Composites 953 Series ArmorFlex®?

gcarter
07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
No, I haven't, but it seems they are more of a mfgr, rather than a distributer since they are only listing 55 gallon drums.
It might be that they are the source of a number of other gel brands.