PDA

View Full Version : 2 more puestions, prop's and a supercharger for a 502

CLASSIC 22 WITH A 502
01-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions the shorty sounds like a plan. Any one with a 502 go from a 25 mirage to a 24 4 blade bravo 1 if so let me know how it turned out. Do you think its worth it, how much speed did you gain if any at all. Some one suggested a super charger what do they run $$$$ is the bang for the buck worth it. I am running at 4800 rpm with the stock 502 and the 25 mirage, people say she can handel more rpm's. So many ways to go WOW!!!

Thanks again guys for your help I've got nothin but respect of you!!!
Ryan C.22 W.502

ps. I'll post up pics. as soon as I get the beast out of storage.

Barry Phillips
01-10-2004, 08:57 AM
None of the suggestions made here are inexpensive. Frankly I would run the boat for a season and get used to it, mid 70,s is nothing to sneeze at. Anyway I would not fool around with props until other moods are made first. I'm not sure about the 502 but Whipple makes a great kit for the 496, which adds some serious HP. Frank can really address your blower questions, he bolted a Pro-Charger on a 502 in his 22ZX which upped his top end into the mid 80's if I'm correct. I know a guy, who had a Whipple on a HP500, which stock puts out about 470hp and pushed his 22SE from 75 to 79 mph depending on who you believe to 96 mph, but the blower was not the only modification. I know that they spent a lot time on set up. You can contact Frank through Typhoon Performance Marine, I'm sure he would be glad to give you some insight. I also know the installation on his 22ZX proved to be reliable. Again I can't stress enough that you well need to address your steering, dual ram external hydraulic is the way to go. Considering that you can easily spend 10 to 15 grand on these mods and set up, a repower would not be out of the question, the HP500 and the 525 are bullet proof HP. Again live the boat for a while and get used to it.

SO-SLO

roadtrip se
01-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Classic 22 with a 502,

Todd here, WELCOME! I have a 2001 22 Classic that came with a 502, so I can relate exactly to what you are going through!

Your decision path on what to do to make that thing go faster has a lot of forks in the road and let me leave it at that. Ironically, at first glance when you go to one of our meets all the boats seem to look the same, but when you look more closely we all have mechanical and cosmetic modifications.

Your choices are unlimited and so are the opinions here. My suggestion would be to plan on attending some of our gatherings this year, AOTH and Lake George are two great ones early in the summer, and come see and learn for yourself what folks have done to make'em go faster.

In the meantime, a couple of things to keep in mind. At the risk of sounding repetitive, steering is NOT an option over 70. Set-up is key. Things like rigging and weight balance. Dependability, some guys like to tinker with their toys all the time; I don't.
Props are a voodoo science at best.

Do some key word searching out here and you will find a lot of this ground covered. As an example, last fall I broke a seat mechanism. After a quick search here, I reviewed what people had done in my siutation, ordered the much superior supports, and they are now on the boat.

Finally, I'd be happy to chat with you and give you my opinions on what works and what doesn't.
Email me a number at somewisbey@comcast.net.

Later,

Todd