PDA

View Full Version : Just some thoughts

Conquistador_del_mar
07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
In recent years, I have had to work at a much reduced pace due to my increased limitations at age 57. Many times I feel like I have lost both my abilities and my fire. The one thing that makes me feel better about myself is the number of guys who still look me up for advice or see if I would do some work for them. It has been 15 years since I did work for the public on a daily basis, but many of them still come to me wishing I still did the work - at least a dozen just this year. When I was told by a dermatologist 15 years ago that my body was saying it had had enough exposure to fiberglass and paint, that is when I built a boat storage business to take the place of working on boats. Working with fiberglass and painting Imron 70+ hours a week in the Texas heat had taken a toll on my skin (I went to the dermatologist thinking I had skin cancer). I actually get a kick out of advising guys on their projects and wish I could actually do the work for them. I guess giving advice is the next best thing. Just rambling here, but I do advise limiting your exposure to the chemicals and materials used in your restorations. Bill

cutwater
07-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Bill I've only talked to you once, but you were way more than helpful and I really appreciated it. I know we all feel very fortunate to be able to talk to those of you guys who have been there and know what they're talking about, yet still take time to help others! :wink:

gcarter
07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Yep, I feel the same way.
And you've been very helpful to me too.
Thanks Bill. :)

Cuda
07-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I didn't know you weren't supposed to wash your hands in Acetone. I did it for years anytime I used epoxy. I just had my gall bladder removed earlier this year, I didn't know it, but they did a liver biopsy on me while I was under. Between alcohol abuse and using chemicals wrong, I was amazed when the gastrologist said my liver was fine. I also had never heard of silicosis, which is from breathing too much sand. I hate to think of how much sand I've ingested over 28 years of doing tile work.