PDA

View Full Version : Boyne Thunder Poseurs

jonzis donzi
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Since I have not seen one iota of info on Boyne Thunder this year, which took place last weekend, I will tell a little about it. Remember the poseurs from last year? We took our 16 Donzi out again to run with the big guns. As the boats came through Charlevoix out through the pier heads, I saw more Donzis than I can remember being in this event. There was an orange one that looked identical to the one on Donzi Marine's site that is a factory race boat. A beautiful blue one that was somewhere around 40', a red one with ILMOR plastered on the side, an orange and blue one, and a few others. As the boats went out there were several hundred people lining the piers and a helicopter was hovering very low, less than a hundred feet, taking pictures. We, as four poseurs just like last year, went out in Lake MI around 1:30.
Many boats had already made the circuit and had come in. They weren't as tightly grouped as last year and very few people were on the pi ers. We spotted the red ILMOR powered boat, which looked like it might be having cooling problems or something as it took a loop back out into Lake MI and returned toward the channel and idled with the hatches open. We donned our helmets and life jackets, for poseur anonymity, and followed them into the channel in our 16 Donzi complete with fake orange number.
As we came out of Round Lake into Lake Charlevoix we received a standing ovation from people on a pontoon boat and several other boats clapped for us. As we cleared the no wake zone, the ILMOR boat started to get up on plane. I put the hammer down and passed them accelerating to our low 50's top end. After a half mile , or so, they caught up to us and ran neck and neck beside us. With all the chop, we were coming completely out of the water but kept the hammer down. I looked over at the ILMOR boat and they looked like they were out for a Sunday drive, barely wavering, which made me laugh! They then motioned for us to take the lead and backed off the throttle slightly and they followed us for about another mile until I turned off while we still had our canardleys if you know what I mean. Pretty COOL on their part. I guess I picked the ILMOR powered Donzi assuming that meant Viper engines as I have a Viper at home in the garage, anyway it was a fun time for all!

DonziJosh
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice! That was us in the orange factory 38 ZRC you saw. There were four 100+ mph Donzis in the run that day. Us, the metallic blue 38 ZRC, Rob D'Angelo's candy apple and silver 38 ZR with 700s, and Paul Ray's Ilmor 710-powered 38 ZR. We saw you briefly, and also saw a really pretty green and red 16 near one of the card stops, and a really nice Hornet and a custom 22 Classic at the lunch stop in Bay Harbor.

Great weather, gorgeous water, and a really nice run!

Josh

jonzis donzi
07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
And that's what makes me proud to own a Donzi no matter how miniscule it is. Is that cool or what?

Captain Nemo
07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Jonzi - It was great to see you guys running alongside our red Ilmor 38. We were having a blast watching you. We took some cool video which we can send you if you get us a mailing address. Lake police had warned us to keep under 55MPH on Charlevoix so it was a Sunday drive for us. We had been running flat out to Beaver Island and back though so no complaints. Boyne Thunder is such a great event, we look forward to it every year.
No cooling issues by the way - just got to Charlevoix way too early so went for another high speed spin before heading into the next card stop.
Hope to see you next year.

jonzis donzi
07-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I'd love to have some video of this. Anything you can send. Cool user name by the way. My mailing address is: Jim Boss
13074 Cedar St.
Charlevoix, MI 49720

Yeah, I'm a native of Charlevoix, beautiful place to live and raise kids.
Your boat is awesome and sounds very different with those V-10s and I'll bet it's pretty much bulletproof as they are torqe monsters!
Also sending you a pm to be sure you get this. Thanks

Tony
07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
That is an awesome scheme. I think I remember reading about it last year and getting quite a kick out of it. With four in the 16, my guess is that there was quite a bit of raucous laghter!

Is that run the same weekend every year? Last year I took some pics of the boats as they arrived...that was pretty impressive.

Do you boat Lake Charlevoix regularly? I spend a fair amount of time down around Frankfort, a bit to the south. We try to get up to Torch, Glen, and Charlevoix once in a while, though.

:pimp:

HOWARD O
07-22-2010, 05:04 PM
If there's any way you could share that video with us sometime, that would be really fun to watch! Sounds like you guys had a GREAT time!