PDA

View Full Version : New member-not a Donzi owner. Yet.

John C in PA
07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi folks, John C in PA here with my 1st post. Currently we (wife and I) own an '08 Bayliner 20' cuddy. Nice rig. OK for a sleepover. I've always wanted to own a Donzi and last week, I spotted a 1985 22' 2+3 for sale. Unfortunately we left the lake before meeting the owner but I he's going to call me to talk about the boat.

Now, here's something I noticed. I've been reading thru this and the Donzi Restoration board to bring myself up to speed and it seems the majority of the posts are about someone rebuilding his boat, or looking for parts to rebuiilt it, or looking for information about setting something. Are Donzi's somewhat poorly built? Or do most of you drive the daylights outta them? Are there no manuals for Donzi's?

Fortunately for me Lakeside is about an hours drive from here. However, your comments are appreciated. If it looks like I may drive up to look at the rig, can you recommend a list of items to check?

I appreciate anyone's input to help me make a decision.

John C in PA

gcarter
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the madness.

Many of these boats are 10 to nearly 50 years old.
I don't think you'll find another brand w/the following that Donzi has.
Well, maybe Bertram.....but certainly not Bayliner.
Donzi has been owned by several different corporations and some have been better than others in construction.
Donzi is definately a niche brand. The boats are immediately recognizeable by most anyone that's at all cognizant of the world around them and not committed to an institution.
Also, many of the owners are a little older, have a little discretionary cash to spend, and have many talents.
I suppose it would be fairer to compare Donzi owners to a group of hotrodders rather than boat owners.
Who ever had a hotrod that was "finished"?

John C in PA
07-20-2010, 09:27 PM
George, good point about the age of the boats. I was a speed shop mechanic in the 1960's so I don't mind working on motors and such. And when I retire in 4 years, I'll have more time to play with my Big Boy toys (guns, boats, model trains). But, as I mentioned, it seems the available Donzi info and parts may be a little thin.

As for "finishing" a hot rod, I look at this more like firing my Class 3 guns. They're kinda tempermental and need to be kept clean to function reliably in full auto, but I'd prefer to shoot them than work on them constantly.

In any case, I'm still waiting to hear from the seller so I don't even know if I can afford the boat in the first place.

BTW: our Bayliners don't last 50 years or go over 80 MPH but don't underestimate owner loyalty :biggrin: We like ours. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/813552/IMG_0786.jpg

John C in PA

Donzi Vol
07-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Also, many of the owners are a little older, have a little discretionary cash to spend, and have many talents.

Oh crap. Looks like I'm way off :wink:

John, like George said, most of these boats have age on them and naturally require some attention at times. But like anything else, they're worth it on that evening with the perfect sunset in front of you and the rumble of a V8 behind you. I tell people that my 1970 18 is kind of like the women I date. She's real pretty to look at, but sometimes she's unreliable and she's always tempermental.

Welcome aboard!
-David

LuauLounge
07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome,
I'm more of a reader than a poster, but you share the same feelings for Donzi's that I have had for the last 30 years. Being on the left coast, the only place we ran across them were at Lake Tahoe. In the 70's I knew I had to own one. We went through a number of boats, small to large, and I have always wanted a classic. We ran across a "too good of deal to pass us on a 22Zx", so that is where we are today and I can see another in our future. California has a whole lot of Bayliners, SeaRays, MasterCrafts, etc, but the Donzi's always get the attention. Being the style capitol of the world, why would they not?

John C in PA
07-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Well, the bad news is the owner of the 22 2+3 still hasn't called. Perhaps his wife mis-spoke when she said it was for sale :frown:. OTOH, although we haven't discussed a dollar limit, the better half gave me the OK to buy one if I like it :) . So it looks like I'll be an owner sometime in the future.

I went thru a lot of the ads on this site and it looks like prices are all over the place.

John C in PA

tmh
07-25-2010, 06:46 AM
If it's anything like my house, you believe she gave you permission but you'll be in trouble when you bring one home. My wife has yet to go out with us on the Donzi but she's getting closer. My kids told her they didn't believe she could still get up on a slalom and we've tried to bait her into an attempt.
T.M. Hayes

John C in PA
07-25-2010, 07:33 PM
If it's anything like my house, you believe she gave you permission but you'll be in trouble when you bring one home. My wife has yet to go out with us on the Donzi but she's getting closer. My kids told her they didn't believe she could still get up on a slalom and we've tried to bait her into an attempt.
T.M. Hayes

TM, my wife is a real find. We worked out spending on my toys a long time ago when I bought my first machine gun. The agreement was you can't have too much ammo or makeup. We were boatless for a few years and when I spotted the Bayliner we wanted while on a business trip to CT, I called her and she said "buy it". That's the one in my second post.

The only question now is "will she ride in a go-fast?"

John C in PA

gcarter
07-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I went thru a lot of the ads on this site and it looks like prices are all over the place.

John C in PA

Prices generally reflect the condition of the boat or maybe the ego of the seller. :wink:

Last Real Texan
07-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Oh crap. Looks like I'm way off :wink:

I tell people that my 1970 18 is kind of like the women I date. She's real pretty to look at, but sometimes she's unreliable and she's always tempermental.

Welcome aboard!
-David
Reminds me of what my grandfather told me years ago....
" If it has tits or wheels you ARE going to have problems with it "

Words to live by...

Tex

glenncal1
07-27-2010, 09:11 AM
John C-good luck with your search. I think for any boat in this market you will find prices all over the place. The Donzis for sale section of this board is a good resource as guys will post ads they come across for Donzis even if they have no connections to the boat or seller.

deanco
07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
That's what my wife asked me the first time she was on board and I took her for a little ride at about 70. Donzi 18s (with 5.8L) do not have seat belts but do have hold handles which I thought she was going to rip out of the fiberglass. She didn't like the lack of home conforts but did like the fact she could barefoot behind it! Happy day the first day you hear that Donzi roar, feel that wind, try to keep your heart from jumping out of your chest. Good luck.

John C in PA
08-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, the original deal fell thru due to the price the owner needed to recover the cost of a new motor installed recently. It was a 22'er and after going over lotsa posts on this site I decided an 18 Classic is what I want. If any of you kids knows of an 18 Classic thast does not need major refurbishment and within a 6 hour drive from Allentown, PA please let me know.

Any buying advice is appreciated.

John C in PA

Marlin275
08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
If any of you kids knows of an 18 Classic thast does not need major refurbishment and within a 6 hour drive from Allentown, PA please let me know.
John C in PA

How about this one?
2 hours 6 mins
2 hours 30 mins in traffic

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61641&highlight=Restored+original+X-18

John C in PA
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
How about this one?
2 hours 6 mins
2 hours 30 mins in traffic

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61641&highlight=Restored+original+X-18

Real nice lookin' boat. Unfortunately anything over 10K is more than we're willing to go. I appreciate the response.

John C in PA

gcarter
08-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Well, the original deal fell thru due to the price the owner needed to recover the cost of a new motor installed recently. It was a 22'er and after going over lotsa posts on this site I decided an 18 Classic is what I want. If any of you kids knows of an 18 Classic thast does not need major refurbishment and within a 6 hour drive from Allentown, PA please let me know.

Any buying advice is appreciated.

John C in PA

Here's some advice;
Expect to spend maybe 30-40% more after the purchase.
Just wait and see.
Buy the very best boat you can possibly afford.

Carl C
08-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Yes, Bayliner has loyal fans!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bayliner-Offshore-Racing-Team/115678801780188

Marlin275
08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Here's some advice;
Expect to spend maybe 30-40% more after the purchase.
Just wait and see.
Buy the very best boat you can possibly afford.

This is true
very true . . .

mattyboy
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
I would say that statement is true for an 18 under 10k and the buyer is not looking to go really fast, look really pretty and just wants stock enjoyment . at that price it usually puts you in an older boat and trailer that is not in great shape so it is going to need work either mech or cosemetic. if the budget is strecthed a good shape stock boat on a decent trailer can be found and that the expense afterwards can be minimized.

I looked at 2 16s when i bought my boat both 1967s with same power plants my budget was under 6K

one for $5k needed paint/gel,interior,and was on an old tandem trailer

the other was $8500 just painted good interior and a 2 year old custom tandem trailer

I decided that for $3500 there was no way I could get the 5k boat to the condition of the 8.5K boat the paint alone would be that. so I upped my budget

one word of advice I would give is widen your budget and your search area a little it may put you in a boat you'll end up loving .

so a boat a little higher than your budget might just save you money in the long run. Plus a boat like Marlins has some other Donzi ju ju going for it as it is limited production and will probably return a little more on the investment.

Marlin275
08-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Plus a boat like Marlins has some other Donzi ju ju going for it as it is limited production and will probably return a little more on the investment.

Thanks Matty!

LKSD
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi folks, John C in PA here with my 1st post. Currently we (wife and I) own an '08 Bayliner 20' cuddy. Nice rig. OK for a sleepover. I've always wanted to own a Donzi and last week, I spotted a 1985 22' 2+3 for sale. Unfortunately we left the lake before meeting the owner but I he's going to call me to talk about the boat.

Now, here's something I noticed. I've been reading thru this and the Donzi Restoration board to bring myself up to speed and it seems the majority of the posts are about someone rebuilding his boat, or looking for parts to rebuiilt it, or looking for information about setting something. Are Donzi's somewhat poorly built? Or do most of you drive the daylights outta them? Are there no manuals for Donzi's?

Fortunately for me Lakeside is about an hours drive from here. However, your comments are appreciated. If it looks like I may drive up to look at the rig, can you recommend a list of items to check?

I appreciate anyone's input to help me make a decision.

John C in PA

John, it was good talking with you yesterday.. :) Good luck on the boat. Remember if that one doesn't work, there will always be another one at some point that comes along. Sometimes watching for the right one is part of the fun & experience.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

John C in PA
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
The Assistant Capt. just reminded me she has had 4'-itis for awhile and wants me to sell the Bayliner and buy something around 24-26'. Since we would need a new tow vehicle if we buy a bigger boat I was able to keep a Donzi in the near future.

The comments about post-purchase spending were well taken. Jamie at Lakeside told me the same thing. So, the new plan for the available bucks is to get a 16 footer now as a day tripper (which most of our trips are).

What do you boys think about H-M Volvo drives?

John C in PA

LKSD
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
John,

A 16c or 18c would do well for short trips like that.. ;)

Also the Volvo & HM set ups were built pretty well & are rather durable. I do offer many replacement parts & some upgrades for them thru us.. If they were taken care of rather well they can hold up and last for quite a while more. Maintenance and regular service is key, otherwise they can take a bit of coin and time to get back up to speed, but most things are like that.. lol

:) Jamie / Lakeside

Just Say N20
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm sure someone will chime in regarding the H-M Volvo drives.

There are a lot of sub-$10K 16s available right now. The question becomes do you have an engine preference? Many of the current 16s listed have the 4.3 V6 engine. Most of the V6 boats will run 53-57 mph depending on which 4.3 engine it has.

If owning a Donzi means it MUST have a V8 with thru-hull exhaust, then you have narrowed down your search criteria.

Do you care if it has 1+3 (driver's seat + wrap around lounge), or the 2+2 seating that some of the recent 16s have?

And, as has already been suggested, I would consider expanding your search area. You will have a better chance of finding exactly what you are looking for. A 1,500 mile drive to get a boat you most likely will own for many years is worth it if you get THE boat you want.

Buying a boat because it is close means you might end up with a boat you don't really like, but purchased because it was convenient.

The other comment to take to heart is that of buying the most boat you can afford. It is much better to get a boat that someone else has already done a bunch of work on because it would have cost much more to do it yourself later.

Most of the people on this board put their boats into great condition, many times with very expensive upgrades, because that is how they want "their Donzi" to be. It is with the understanding that the money will never be recovered when the boat is sold, and you could get a great boat for a great price.

This is a good place to search, as it is a "galactic" search engine for craigslist and ebay. http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&itm=donzi&fil=&state=&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&submit=+GO+

Here are some on the board:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62779&highlight=16

I have more $$ in my project 1967, and this boat is 29 years newer and has a nice trailer. V8!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62334&highlight=16

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61973&highlight=16

LKSD
08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Good point Bill, I agree sometimes a little extra driving & waiting can make the difference in getting a boat you really like will enjoy:bighug: Versus getting "just a boat" or maybe even a problem :eek: :mad:.

However you never know where the boat for you may turn up, sometimes it is around the corner, other times its a 2 or 3 day trip to get.. lol :) Jamie / Lakeside

John C in PA
08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Bill, thx for the advice. Yes, a V8 with thru hull exhaust is a must have. For seating either type is OK although lounge style would be preferred. However, if we want to spend the day on the hook sleepin' we can always take the Bayliner.

I agree, expanding my search area is a good idea. There are a lot of boats around and I'm in no particular rush. But I wouldn't just buy one just B/C its close. I haven't always had "extra" cash so I've learned to evaluate every possible purchase as thoroughly as I can to avoid mistakes. The issue of post-sale expenses was one I added to my list.

The bottom line is there are other considerations (hoping to retire in 4 years, the wife's 4'-itis, possible new tow vehicle, how many times as year either boat will be dunked, etc.) that control the available cash. Of course, the economy is the wild card. I'm self-employed and my wife carries the health insurance. She's lost a number of jobs since the economy went south so you never know when things will change.

John C in PA

gcarter
08-06-2010, 02:22 PM
The last two boats I bought I traveled over 1K miles to get.
You can have fun, make it an adventure.
There's a few here that have some sort of club (I guess my jaunts didn't count) but it has to do w/how far you go to get your boat.
Also, there have been a few even exported to Europe.

Patience and willingness to spring can nab what you want.

tmh
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Over the next 2 months more boats will become available with the end of summer. Expand your range to 1100 miles and you have Florida and mid west options. Using members of this list may allow prescreening of prospects. I drove 900 miles each way to pick up an outdrive but I don't mind driving.
T.M. Hayes

John C in PA
09-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi guys. Just checking in with the latest on my Donzi search. Its going to be a Sweet 16. A V8 is preferred (especially a H-M motor) but a 4.3 Merc V6 is OK (since Jamie told me he can heat it up a bit). Thru hull exhaust could be a problem since the local lakes are run by the Corps of Engineers and open exhaust will get you ticketed. So will going over 45 MPH (spoil sports). I've expanded my search to around 1,000 miles from PA. Trying to keep at least $2K in my pocket for after purchase expenses. All good ideas guys! Thanks.

Anybody know when Donzi switched gas tank material that is not affected by Ethanol? And how much is involved in replacing a tank on a 16?

One interesting thing I noticed. When I ask sellers certain detailed technical questions (do all the gauges work?) or use questions (how much time was the boat used in salt water?) generally result in no more replies. Something to hide I guess.

And before I forget, many thanks to Jamie @ Lakeside for helping me out in my search. :wink:

John C

badbird
09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Great posts guys,I'm also in the same boat...lol.Not in a hurry to buy the first or closest thing that comes along,It seems that there are better deals in the USA,I also think it a buyers market now the way the economy is still sluggish.
So I applied for my passport and may be going on a road trip one of these days.
I'm really enjoying this site,lots of good info and pics:wink:,and keep the boats for sale coming.

Here is one that caught my eye,what do u guys think ? it seems cheep for a classic 22 with a big block and has been for sale for a while,any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61406

Thanks again.

LKSD
09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
You are welcome John.. :)

BTW, I wouldnt be overly concerned with trying to find a HM package, unless you really just want that set up. Merc is probably one of the easiest to get parts for just about anywhere, even though I offer parts for HM & many other applications. :) Jamie / Lakeside

John C in PA
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I wouldnt be overly concerned with trying to find a HM package, unless you really just want that set up. Merc is probably one of the easiest to get parts for just about anywhere, even though I offer parts for HM & many other applications. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Jamie, you and I have talked about the variety of motors available and you convinced me yesterday that a V6 could be made to provide enough power to make me grin. Bottom line is a 350 Merc would be the perfect drive package for how we will use the boat. The H-M setup would, in my opinion, make the boat more valuable and more hi-performance parts are available but its not by any means a deal breaker.

The odd thing I've noticed is actually getting some sellers to even reply. I emailed a broker on YachtWorld.com 3x so far asking if a Sweet 16 they're selling is available and when I can see it. No reply. Nuttin'. :confused: Same with another dealer in NC. As soon as I asked detailed technical questions he stopped responding :confused: . In the dead of Winter these same dealers will be bitchin' that "nobody's buying nuttin'."

John C

LKSD
09-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, the 4.3 v6 in a little 16 does fairly well. ;)

On a different note,

I wouldnt say the HM would necessarily be of more value. Unless you are looking for or talking about originality in an old early classic in very good condition.. The HM was really only in the old early stuff.. The stuff you have been looking at for mid model or later model classics would have VP, Merc or OMC power.. ;)

I would also respectfully have to say that there are actually less performance options available to the Holman Moody marine packages compared to the marinized GM plaforms. Not that you cant tweak them, but it is actually harder to find parts for & costs more $$ to do it.. ;)

:) Jamie / Lakeside