PDA

View Full Version : Z33 Crossbow performance questions

nbasch
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Bought my first Donzi and very excited, just have a few questions about what to expect, my first Donzi is a Z33 87' Crossbow, boat has twin Crusader Marine model 350 454's. TRS outdrives with Mercury Mirage Performance 23 pitch props, my question is what type performance...Cruise speed/range/top speed/ etc should I be expecting? I have GPS but besides the small test drive I don't have much time behind the wheel, the boat has a 120 gal fuel tank, any info would be appreciated, this boat may be for sale if I cannot get an indoor facility to store it, motors run great, have all appraisal records Thanks in advance :nilly:

LKSD
07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
They are nice boats & Congrats on yours. Hopefully you will find a spot so you can keep it. I am in Northeastern PA If I can help with our facility.. :)

Anyway, they in my opinion are laid out nicely & have classy lines. The TRS is a good drive, but can be a bit of a pain to sometimes find certain parts for, but there are options should you have issues.. As far as the power & speed, they can run thru some pretty good stuff, but those hulls took a lot of power to be pretty fast, so don't expect big speed #'s out of her. It is more of a very classy boat with a good amount of space & respectable speed rather than a lightning bolt.. ;) However if you want to go faster it can be done.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

nbasch
07-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Jaime, thanks for you input and response, I have no intentions of having a raceboat so I am sure I will be happy with the performance of the boat, I read alot about these boats before the purchase, I know the 454's are probably alittle small but they hit a mean lick :pimp: I like the lines and the layout of the hull, if I need any help or info I will look you up, thanks again

LKSD
07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
No problem, Im here if ya need me.. In the mean time enjoy that boat!.. ;) :) J

glenncal1
07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Where are the pictures. :nilly:

The Hedgehog
07-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Nice boats. Enjoy

Shawgo
07-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I have a 1987 Z33 Crossbow which I recently restored. New transom, some aft stringers, new bilge area repaint. I put in 502HP 502's from GM performance parts (crate motors) I also replaced the outdrives with mercruiser (X drives? I think, bought them from Scott VanAlstine) The boat runs up to 68-70 (Livorsi GPS instuments) with 24 pitch 4 blade bravo I props at 5000 RPM. The boat has torque and jumps out of the water and accelerates rapidly to the top end. When I was determining the correct props I put on 4 blade bravo 1 22 pitch props, the boat went to 70 easily but at 6000 RPM, I did not leave those in due to engine RPM's.

I am a little disapointed in the ride of the Z33, I am at the lake of the ozarks and the boat is just too small to use when the water is rough on weekends. I have too much money in the boat to sell it so will probably do something different for the rough weekends. I found an awesome 45 Wellcract Excalibur on I-boats that says it runs 60+. Pretty fast for a 45' cruiser. Keeping my eye on the boat for them to lower the price

I also like the lines of the Z33. There are some pics of the engines and the boat in the engine section of this site.

Hope you enjoy your boat.

The Hedgehog
07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Small and rough ride are a matter of perspective.

LOTO has some big water. Steve Whitney hits it in his 18 on a regular basis. When I say hits it, I mean hits it. Ask anyone that has ridden with him. Not for the faint of heart.

If a Z-33 comes up short in wave crushing ability, you should try some other 33-35 foot boats. Maybe one of the fountain perhaps.:nilly:

nbasch
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I have a 1987 Z33 Crossbow which I recently restored. New transom, some aft stringers, new bilge area repaint. I put in 502HP 502's from GM performance parts (crate motors) I also replaced the outdrives with mercruiser (X drives? I think, bought them from Scott VanAlstine) The boat runs up to 68-70 (Livorsi GPS instuments) with 24 pitch 4 blade bravo I props at 5000 RPM. The boat has torque and jumps out of the water and accelerates rapidly to the top end. When I was determining the correct props I put on 4 blade bravo 1 22 pitch props, the boat went to 70 easily but at 6000 RPM, I did not leave those in due to engine RPM's.

I am a little disapointed in the ride of the Z33, I am at the lake of the ozarks and the boat is just too small to use when the water is rough on weekends. I have too much money in the boat to sell it so will probably do something different for the rough weekends. I found an awesome 45 Wellcract Excalibur on I-boats that says it runs 60+. Pretty fast for a 45' cruiser. Keeping my eye on the boat for them to lower the price

I also like the lines of the Z33. There are some pics of the engines and the boat in the engine section of this site.

Hope you enjoy your boat.

The smooth ride I read about while researching was one of the reasons I bought this boat, plus I feel like I got it at a really good buy but who knows the way the economy is shifting lately, I bought it with my brother, we plan to update the cabin and give it a makeover and enjoy it, river trips, the lake and maybe an occasional trip to the Alabama gulf coast, thanks for the replies guys

nbasch
07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Have to post pics when i get back in town, does anyone have any interior pics of the OG interior, I want to update mine but want to see what else is out there for some input

The Hedgehog
07-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Have to post pics when i get back in town, does anyone have any interior pics of the OG interior, I want to update mine but want to see what else is out there for some input

trueuser did a nice interior on a Z-29.

Cuda
07-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Donzigo tore out all his interior and made a dayboat out of it. He did a great job. He knows about all thing for a Z33. I was running with him in Boca Ciega Bay saw him jump a wake. I didn't think it was possible to catch air in a Z 33, but I saw the bottom of his hull.

Donzigo
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Cuda,

I remember that day quite well and exactly where it was. You were in that gorgeous Formula with the Arneson drives. And, yes, I do jump waves often now that the boat has even stronger engines --------- 2 496HOs.

Take care. I heard you are doing much better in the health department.

Shawgo
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Donzigo was very helpful with my boat restoration, he offered some great ideas and pictures of what he did, he even directed me to a guy in Ft. Lauderdale who made a new windshield for me which fit PERFECTLY!

He has some nice interior pics which I used to convert mine to a day cruiser as well. I took out the head, closet, sink, etc and put in benches with an a couple of high wattage amp stereo and sub woofer for some great sound.

Yes, I have also had mine out of the water when jumping the wake behind some pretty large plowing vessels at the lake.

Love the acceleration of the boat!

The Hedgehog
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Donzigo was very helpful with my boat restoration, he offered some great ideas and pictures of what he did, he even directed me to a guy in Ft. Lauderdale who made a new windshield for me which fit PERFECTLY!

He has some nice interior pics which I used to convert mine to a day cruiser as well. I took out the head, closet, sink, etc and put in benches with an a couple of high wattage amp stereo and sub woofer for some great sound.

Yes, I have also had mine out of the water when jumping the wake behind some pretty large plowing vessels at the lake.

That is some cool work you did there. I like it.

z33donzi
07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
no sht thats looks nice makes me wish i still had my z33 so i could do the same to it i really miss that boat nice work there

Shawgo
07-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I appreciate the feedback, it has taken some time to get the boat to this point.

COOL CROSSBOW
09-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Those pics are great. They gave my friend and I some good ideas. His Z33 didnt come with a galley nor a head, so he is renewing his.

nbasch
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Hopefully i can get mine restored and remodeled the way I intended, if not she is going up for sale, hate to part with it but I am not finding anywhere I can store her inside to remodel and hate to see it set outside during the winter