PDA

View Full Version : Monza 19 is it a Donzi knockoff?

macjazzy
07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
I recently saw a 1973 Monza 19' advertised for sale. The guy went through the whole boat, repainted it, built a new 454 for it, put a rebuilt Volvo drive on it. redid the seats etc.

He wants 6500 bucks for it. I joined this site because the Wife recently gave me the green light to buy us a second boat for a runabout and have always wanted a 18Classic. Is this a Hull-pop of a Donzi classic or just a wanna-be?

1996Z15
07-18-2010, 12:19 PM
This one?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62624

onesubdrvr
07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Monza did clone the Donzi's, but they weren't badly made boats either.

Depends on if it has to say "Donzi" on the side of it or not,.... but I can't answer as far as any kind of handling differences / similarities between the two hulls

Wayne

macjazzy
07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
yes that is the one. So is it a hull pop of a Donzi or just Monza trying to capitalize on Donzi's name by making a look-alike?

Ghost
07-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Many of the small performance boats in the 16-24 range are similar, but I am unaware whether the Monza 19 is a clone of any Donzi. I don't know what Donzi it would be duplicating, were it a clone. My instinct is that it is not one. I sure don't think it's the same as an 18 classic below the rubrail. Anybody know for sure?

Mike

Cuda
07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Monza was a clone of a Pantera. There is a guy who lives near here that completly redid one. It was a beautiful job. I think it was a 21 footer.

BlownCrewCab
07-19-2010, 08:00 PM
This thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/225645-info-old-1969-19-monza-boat.html Has a tid-bit of info on the Monza...Even the exact boat in question.... :)

72Hornet
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
The Monza 19' was not a clone of the Donzi line. It was built in Hollywood Florida and was a very qualtiy built boat. The boat ws an upscale high performance boat of that era to compete with Donzi. I believe that Kenny Elkind may have been a part of Monza at that time. The Monza offered jet drives and Volvo Sterndrives and Holman Moody engines. I owned one, a 1969 and sold it to a buddy of mine. It handled quite well, had left hand drive, and the two plus three seating arrangement. My engie was a HM351 290 HP that was original to the boat. Another nice feature was the spring loaded front bicket seats to make the boat ride smoother for the driver. I must admit that it did not handle as nize as my 1972 Hornet. The engine hatch opened on 1960 Chevy engine hood springs to make the engine hatch open easier. They Mention the Monza in the Aronow book. They talk about Don test driving one from a customer and not being used to the jet drive. He apparantly hit he dock as he came back on the canal on 188th street. Don was not impressed!
If you want pictures, I can send you some of my old Monza.