PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Vent Hose Connection

RedDog
07-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Fuel Tank Vent Hose Connection -

My cheapo plastic through hull fuel vent broke. While replacing it with a new all metal one, I noticed the hose between the through-hull vent and the tank had a bit of a droop to it creating a trap - like a p-trap under a sink basin. That didn't seem right to me so I shortened the hose so it is a more direct path between the tank and the vent. Did I do the right thing? I assumed the loop/trap must be the reason I always spew fuel out the filler cap when adding fuel.

mrfixxall
07-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Fuel Tank Vent Hose Connection -

My cheapo plastic through hull fuel vent broke. While replacing it with a new all metal one, I noticed the hose between the through-hull vent and the tank had a bit of a droop to it creating a trap - like a p-trap under a sink basin. That didn't seem right to me so I shortened the hose so it is a more direct path between the tank and the vent. Did I do the right thing? I assumed the loop/trap must be the reason I always spew fuel out the filler cap when adding fuel.

no you did the wrong thing,,now the water splashing on the side of the boat will let water enter the fuel tank. remove it and get a piece 3' longer and put a loop in the hose then wire tie the loop in place,,this will prevent the water from entering..i put a one way check valve in mine then removed it and did it this way....the check valve cause me to vaper lock..

gcarter
07-18-2010, 05:52 AM
The hose should be as high as possible under the deck. From that high point, it should be downhill to the tank and the vent.....maybe add one of those zip ties w/the little screw hole in one end and screw it to the deck.
Whether you add anothe low point is up to you.

RedDog
07-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Well back underneath I go. Better get started while is still cool out (relatively anyway).

Thanks

RedDog
07-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Fixed - better than new. Put the loop back in only instead of being the low point it is now the high point secured to the bottom side of the deck with a tie wrap. I also eliminated the inline check valve.

Not what I wanted to be doing first thing Sunday morning.

Carl C
07-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Fixed - better than new. Put the loop back in only instead of being the low point it is now the high point secured to the bottom side of the deck with a tie wrap. I also eliminated the inline check valve.
Not what I wanted to be doing first thing Sunday morning.

Sounds good. That's how mine came from the factory.

Cuda
07-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Fixx is right. The droop serves much like a P trap, and keeps water from splashing in.

Cuda
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Mud daubers love to make a nest in the fuel vent.

Tony
07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Reddog, I'm glad you figured this out before you had trouble. I, too, switched fittings one year, did not have enough of a loop, and installed the new fitting with the opening facing downward. Well, duh, after ingesting lots of Lake Michigan into my fuel system I stalled - and had to endure the dreaded Tow of Shame.

:nilly: