PDA

View Full Version : Swap windshield to rail

DICK T
07-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Interested in buying mid 90's 18 Classic but prefer no windshield. Can windshield be removed and replaced with hand rail in same holes??

gcarter
07-17-2010, 09:17 AM
The windshield can be removed, but the later boats like you're reffering to have a rather large fiberglass support for the windshield and don't look as sleek as the earlier boats w/o the windshield.
Of course a rail can be incorporated somewhere, as it's nothing more than drilling holes and adding screws and nuts.
Whether or not it looks like what you're desiring may be another matter.

DICK T
07-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Thank's George. If I understand you correctly the deck on a windshield Classic 18 is molded differently to support the windshield and looks differently than the boat Mfg. without windshield. Sounds like I need to stick with a boat that was Mfg. without windshield, since that is the look I want. I don't really like the hand rail across the front either but thought it would fill the holes.

mrfixxall
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
you may want to consider a older boat like a x18? i can get pretty windy in a 18 classic with out a windshield..

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell510.jpg

DICK T
07-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the photo great looking boat. I have had a lot of time in seat of HP Bass boats and 32 Ford Roadster so I understand the wind but if you cant' feel the wind and water in your face what is the point. What is the difference between the X-18 & Classic 18 ?

gcarter
07-17-2010, 02:49 PM
The hull is exactly the same.
The X- was a marketing "special" that was styled
by notable auto designer Jack Juratovic.
Only a moderate number were built over just a few years.
Matty and a few others can tell you the years and production numbers.
As I mentioned, the X- has a restyled deck, the cockpit is the same. Also everything is in the same position.

DICK T
07-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the education. I can see the deck rises just before the steer wheel and the after deck has a little duck tail. Thanks for your help. I will log out now.

mrfixxall
07-17-2010, 03:08 PM
You can still feel the wind,i just like to hear whats going on around me when im driving (other boats and wave runners)..
with the seat all the way back you can tuck under the wind screen to hear whats going on around you..the x 18 also has taller front seats,the rear seat upper is bolted in and the lower slides in,, i believe the front seat pedestals are molded in to where the regular 18 has a swivel style bucket..they were built between 1973-1979 and 156 were made..

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/1826253368.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/1784222789.html

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
My Dad has a Century Coronado with a big windshield. Great boat but something's always missing when I'm out in it. I don't feel like I've been boating if I don't get a little wet and haven't felt the wind in my face.

Eric