PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching to a GPS Speedo

techspecial
07-16-2010, 11:51 PM
'86 Minx with the original speedo...I'm so sick of the stinking thing working until the smallest imaginable piece of crap gets in there and fouls the pitot. I've upgraded the engine to one of those 355 c.i. Blueprint engines from Summit and like to show off occaisionally. Where's the best deal available for one of these? I realise that I'll have to replace the gauge and install the puck under the dash. I'm not real picky about an exact match but I'd like it to be black to match the rest of the original gauges. Any vendors on the board sell these at a reasonable price? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! Mike

LKSD
07-17-2010, 07:03 AM
We sell Gauges & Gps speedos from a few different vendors. Id be glad to try & help you. 3 things up front tho. 1 the gps units are noticeably more than water psi speedos, they come in just speedo form & they also can have a speed recall feature depending on who's kit you go with, 3rd there wont be one to mach you gauges directly if you have the black VDO series that would likely have been in your boat that has the square rims & plastic lenses. However I can get black analog faced or digital faced GPS units.. :) Feel free to give me a shout this week if it may interest you further.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

gcarter
07-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Do you think one of the Gaffrig/Livorsi SST pitots would perform better?
I know the opening is much larger and less likely to plug up than the little plastic tubes.
Also, good Bourdon tube type glycerine filled speedos are as accurate as a GPS (but may not read exactly the same) for a fraction of the price of the GPS speedo.
If this sounds workable, Jamie could help there also.

LKSD
07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes I can..Give me a shout on Monday...:) Jamie

techspecial
07-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Fellas!!
I'll give you a buzz on Monday Jamie

mrfixxall
07-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Do you think one of the Gaffrig/Livorsi SST pitots would perform better?
I know the opening is much larger and less likely to plug up than the little plastic tubes.
Also, good Bourdon tube type glycerine filled speedos are as accurate as a GPS (but may not read exactly the same) for a fraction of the price of the GPS speedo.
If this sounds workable, Jamie could help there also.

thats what i have george,i had to adjust the piot tube but its spot on to my gps..

LKSD
07-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks Fellas!!
I'll give you a buzz on Monday Jamie

Sounds good. I will catch up with you then.. :) J

Cuda
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
My speedo on the Minx was real close to my gps numbers. You couldn't tell by eye which was faster.
You always have the option of drilling out the pitot tube to make your speedo read faster, without having to work on the engine. I also had a 355 in mine. That's a .30 over 350.

techspecial
07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
You know I like the idea of drilling the pitot...
That way it will go as fast as I've said it goes.
At least the speedo will back up my "little white lies"...
I know I'm probably alone in my truth streaching!!!

techspecial
07-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Cuda,
Can you remember what prop you were happiest with?
I'm not really unhappy with mine but I've never tried anything else...
The 64 MPH I have posted was actually an anomaly going under a bridge
in Salem NJ running with a 15 knot ripping tide with my little gps on peak hold.
I think I'm actually around 60 with a stock Alpha One. I'm peaking out at about 4800 RPM...I know I have a 23 pitch but it's a generic I got on E-Bay
cheap. I've been running it for three years...No chine walking...Very little
porpusing (sp) to speak of when I tweak the trim...Thanks, Mike