PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an 1987 Z21 this weekend

rsummers
07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Need advise. Looking at a 1987 Z21 this weekend. How and where do I inspect the stringers? Under the engine...at the transom. Tap with a small hammer? Use mirror under the engine? what are the signs of damage.

I searched the site for Z21 and read all the posts. Gas tank stuff and all. I will accept some risk but wish to inspect throughly before buying. Never had to inspect stringers or gas tanks before.

I had a Z25 years ago and loved the boat. Now looking at a low price go fast for the boy. Classics may be too hot for him now.

LKSD
07-17-2010, 07:10 AM
You can check those places for starters. If you can push into the frame peices or transom anywhere or the glass flexes over the frames or transom if you push on it those are some signs. If the glass has the paint off of it and you can see dark discolorations compared to the rest of the laminated wood then those are also signs.. The frames do run up and under the floor as well, eventhough most of the time if rot is present it is predoominantly in the back area of the boat, it is certainly not impossible or out of the question to be further up in spots too.. I am not trying to be an Azz here , but it may be wise to have it surveyed or checked by a trained eye or professional.. ;)

Good luck on the boat, they are a cool ride. We just wrapped up a Z-21 for a one of our Canadian customers.. :) Jame / Lakeside

rsummers
07-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks Jamie. Just saw the boat pics. Awsome! I may need an interior redo. Do you guys redo the complete interior on that Z21?

LKSD
07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes we did. I guess you just saw the post I put up on the Z21. Give Jamie a call if you need us.. Also you can check out our site on what we offer. It is just so hard to post everything we do on the forums :)

Kristin