PDA

View Full Version : How to I remove steering cable from ram?

jvcobra
07-16-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm trying to replace my steering cable and I can't seem to get it separated from the ram. I have the "newer" style power steering ram:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809808%2096&ivar=images/COMMON/1625.png&inbr=1943&bnbr=300&bdesc=POWER+STEERING

I removed the cotter pin, pin and the cable nut but it still won't budge. Even looking at the service manual there shouldn't be anything else. Maybe it is just stuck in the cable tube (my steering is frozen). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

gcarter
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
What do you mean by "frozen"?

MOP
07-16-2010, 08:16 PM
What is the reason for the cable change? I got talked into changing mine last year which had a 1985 date on the housing, I gained -0- the cable play in teh new cable was the same as the old one. The cables just don't go bad from wear on these power assist systems, it turned out to be a waste of $$ and a few hours of labor that I could have done without!

Pismo
07-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Keep at it. It will come loose. The nut, cotter pin and large vertical pin are it. Steering cables freeze all the time. Should be a fairly easy job. It will be like new again.

jvcobra
07-17-2010, 05:37 AM
What do you mean by "frozen"?

Alot of resistence when turning the wheel (drives don't move at all). I guess I don't know my own strenght because I broke the helm trying to free it. I'll keep at it. I think the cable end is corroded to the cable guide tube.

MOP
07-17-2010, 06:17 AM
When I found one to be that bad I would cut the cable by the actuator, remove the actuator and work on the bench. Working behind the engine makes it a lot harder.

Phil