PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the Bilge

oledawg
07-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Uh oh, 2nd time in the past week that after the 22C has been hanging in the lift for a day or two that I am seeing a pool of oil in the bilge under the engine. Other than the obvious, any suggestions on how to check this out? Each time it takes about 2+ quarts to get back to full..... I am thinking that I am into a "pull the engine" scenario unless there are some thoughts on other things to check first. :boggled:

gcarter
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I would imagine there're only a few possibilities;
Oil filter hoses
Oil filter seal
Oil pan drain plug seal
Pan gasket
Valve cover gaskets
Timing cover gasket
Front or rear crankshaf seals

Many of these can be replaced or tightened in situ.

Barry Eller
07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Before I replaced my 454HO with the 502, rust had eaten a hole in my oil pan. That will surely put oil in the bilge.

mrfixxall
07-15-2010, 04:33 PM
The logic thing to do would be to leave it run and watch for a drip under the engine with a mirror..i say if its 2 qts then its probable leaking from the oil filter adaptor or a rear main seal..

gcarter
07-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I've seen the rusted out oil pans too.
The Merc black paint is applied w/o any primer under it and the paint seems to be quite pourous.

oledawg
07-16-2010, 11:17 AM
My tech is going to make a house call ( boathouse ) to see what he thinks. He has to come repair the Accel ignition anyway, keeps frying the electronics after a couple of weeks......not sure that it was made for marine use....came that way from the previous owner.

Thanks for the input :cool!: