PDA

View Full Version : trs lower unit removal

2donzi2
07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Any tricks or things to be aware of when dropping the lower on a merc trs. I am reshooting my outdrive in imron and want to split the upper and lower. also removing upper from trans assem. Removed the 8 nuts holding the lower, but can't get it to budge. Advice anyone?

Conquistador_del_mar
07-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Why not remove the entire drive if you are going to repaint the whole drive? Why are you separating the lower foot? Keep in mind that it is a very heavy drive so you will need to lift it with something like a chain hoist. The drive is easier to remove than replace - at least that was my experience on my twin TRS Cigarette. Good luck, Bill

2donzi2
07-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Why not remove the entire drive if you are going to repaint the whole drive? Why are you separating the lower foot? Keep in mind that it is a very heavy drive so you will need to lift it with something like a chain hoist. The drive is easier to remove than replace - at least that was my experience on my twin TRS Cigarette. Good luck, Bill

I am going to remove the entire drive from the boat and have had it off before. I usually use a cherry picker to support while removing. I would like to paint the trans assem, the upper, and the lower in 3 seperate pieces. I feel I can do a better job and won't have the paint in the seams. Just have never had a lower off a trs before.

ZekesterbluH3
07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
There are 9 nuts/bolts....3 on each side, 1 at the front, one holding the trim tab, and one going the other way on the trim tab....when you put it together make sure you put the "captured" one for the tab in....

X2 on the leaving it in one piece, there are shims and stuff up there, I'd well enough alone, pull it with a hoist, lube your U joints, inspect your bellows...and go from there...

I just did this a few months ago...my 2 cents...

2donzi2
07-16-2010, 06:38 AM
There are 9 nuts/bolts....3 on each side, 1 at the front, one holding the trim tab, and one going the other way on the trim tab....when you put it together make sure you put the "captured" one for the tab in....

X2 on the leaving it in one piece, there are shims and stuff up there, I'd well enough alone, pull it with a hoist, lube your U joints, inspect your bellows...and go from there...

I just did this a few months ago...my 2 cents...

got the one under the tab, but still hard to break loose. Shims ?. I think your right. I will leave well enough alone. Nothing wrong with the drive and don't want any problems. Have the drive primed with the green etching primer and ready to shoot. Using acrylic urethane with hardener.

HOWARD O
07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Can you take some photos? I'll be prettying mine up this winter while doing the maintenance!