PDA

View Full Version : New 22' ordered, need help!

cigarette30
01-09-2004, 09:06 PM
I have placed an order for a 2004 unique 22' Classic. The dealer and factory have been unbelievably accommodating in many custom features, including the color combination. One of my many requests, was to install "original" vents, I am not much on the new Perco/Attwood replacements. I came accross the availability of the replacements on this site, but have run into a little snag with Rick/optionline. I am sure he is tring, but does anyone have any suggestions. Help me make this boat one the Registry would be proud of. By the way, comments came back from Donzi, that this site and its members, are extremely respected, and influental. Quite a compliment! Many of my upgrades/requests were derived from the "search" function of this site.

Please help me guys, Many Thanks.

Team Hula Girl
01-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Cig,

what are some of the unique or custom options that you have ordered? What is the color combo and power package? Did you consider the yellow 40th SE at all?

John

Also would like to hear comments about your dealer's role if you have any.

cigarette30
01-10-2004, 03:57 PM
John,

The retro honey hull, deck, and bottom, with the midnight blue hullsides, and stripes. Solid dark blue interior w/tan piping, honey carpet.

496 H.O. with the Imco Shortee & lab finished prop
also ordered.

Custom dash with the Mercury Smartcraft 5200, Garmin 182C G.P.S. chartplotter. (I think this is the first for a 22')

Duel 3700 Rule bilge pumps

BLACK duel ram bennett tabs

Accon stainless recessed bow light

Deleted all the extra cleats, and eyes except the original two lifting rings (thats why I NEED those vents)

Duel batteries in a specific location

Fresh water flush

Custom steering wheel/bezel

In addition, all the other factory options, gauges, silent choice etc., (except the sterio), I have noted the other points from the drainage from the upper stringers, to the deletion of the through hull horn, as the "Registry" has recomended.

The only upgrade I did not do, was the 500 E.F.I., as I may upgrade to the 525's in my 30' Mystique, and then have two extra. I also had good luck with the 496 H.O. in another boat, with the freshwater cooling, easy drainage.

It should be a real sharp, but tastefull package.

Barry Phillips
01-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Will Donzi upgrade that plastic windshield? Talyor makes an SS upgrade for Chris Craft and they only crank out 450 boats a year.

cigarette30
01-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Good question on the fuel fill. I first speced it to be moved back, THEY said the "REGISTRY", wanted it moved, to hard to reach to fill, and when fuel spilled, it spilled on both sides, etc. Any truth? Made sense. Any other comments? On the windshield, reviewing the previous posts, it seems pretty mixed, I don't mind the new one. By the way, on the Criterion, if it is reintroduced, I would not be happy, as I would have held out, loved the first one I saw, the blue one of John Chishom's tied up on 188th st., but I quess it would be a way to sell more boats.

Barry Phillips
01-10-2004, 10:21 PM
I like the new fuel location on my 22 it's on the same side as my truck. I am going to change it out for a flush mount billet style though, the key is a pain to keep track off. I also added 4 slimline pull up cleats, 6' in the stern and 4" a mid ships. They work great. Next I'm going to loose the Grant steering weel, it's interesting that Donzi installs the pueter MOMO on there fish line and everyone other sport boat builder is installing color keyed versions of the same wheel, including the 40th aniversary 22. I'm sorry for bitching but I am a designer and the lack of attention to detail on Donzi's part concerning the Classics is frustrating. I know opinions are mixed concerning the plexly windshields but, I for one HATE it. I'm glad I was able to find an 02 left over.

integra
01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
lab finished prop
also ordered.

I'm sorry, what is this option?? I cannot understand..

Congratulations for your choice, very nice boat, and very esciting the 30 Mystique too... :)

cigarette30
01-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Barry,

Your not "bitching", we just like things right! Details make everything. I have specified the very steering wheel you have referanced. Regarding cleats, the boat will remain covered on a lift, therefore with the priorty of a clean original deck, I wanted no cleats, just the rings. I am sure they would have done the "pop-up", I just NEVER tie up where the rings would not suffice. A lab finished prop, has thin and sharper blades, will not hold up as well, but can be good for 2-3 m.p.h., combined with the shorty, should be an honest 75 m.p.h., on a "black" motor. (low fuel, average humidity air temp, etc.)

Appreciate your insight greatly.

Thanks.

Also, regarding the eariler post on the "dealer" input, both the dealer and Donzi, were VERY easy to work with, and met all of my request(s), with the exception of a larger fuel tank, stating the USCG flotation requirements could not be met with the older 70 gallon option. Also, We all have our opinions, I am not much on the yellow, hence the question regarding the 40th. But I can APPRECIATE it!

Barry Phillips
01-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Integra a lab finished prop is merely a prop that has been refined in the machineing process. The blades are balanced and thinned and if you choose to do so you can add pitch an cup depending on your application. A lab finished prop can add RPM in a given application.

Cigarette 30, now that I'm off my soap box, where are you positioning the batteries,? I have duel batteries in my 22 which are positioned in a staggered arrangement front, back, on either side of motor compartment. What are you changing? Also what style steering wheel are having Donzi install. Donzi will do just about anything you want these days, the poblem can be finding a dealer to work with you. I was going to order a boat in 02, and working with the dealer was like pulling teeth, he seemed not to want to spend the time. I wanted the recess cleats and he told me that they would be installed after the boat was delivered, kind of stupid. I think he was makeing work for his shop. I gave up working with him and found a great deal on a inventory boat with a custom trailer.

Barry Phillips
01-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Cig 30, I dived in with out reading you post, sorry. You ansured most my questions, as well as Integra's, but I'm still curious about where the batteries are going. Also on Dana Marine's web site there is a neat disk shaped recessed pop up cleat which can be ordered in just about any color, might be a cleaner look for dream 22, check it out. Can't wait to see pics of the new ride.

integra
01-11-2004, 12:04 PM
ah ok, thanx, I think It's the same options I have ordered for my 26 ZX too, it was called:

-prop Hi performance

I think so, isn't it??

cigarette30
01-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Barry,

I will check the Dana right now, I have to provide the bow light and the VENTS. I want the batteries all the way to the stern, turned 90', as currently they limit access to the sides of the motor and bilge. The boat will be shipped without the batteries or brackets, I will provide an upgrade of both. I keep PERFECT bilges, and in order to wipe them, one has to get down there. If this requires a relocation of the trim pump, it will also be done. I really want the original vents, do you think there would be any interest of anyone with an older Donzi, to trade for the new ones, plus say $500.00. I am referring to someone, that may not be as funny. (can't think of another word)

Hanker
01-11-2004, 12:36 PM
I personally am willing to sacrifice convenience for aesthetics. I think the filler on the side of the boat really breaks up the lines of the boat.

I have never found it that big a deal to fill from the middle. Usually soneone is with me anyway, and I just have them hand me the hose, while I'm in the cockpit. It has the added benefit of not being concerned with which side of the gas pumps I have to be on. And spills.....give me a break.

One of the reasons we love these boats is their beauty. It's a shame to sacrafice that because the manufacturer wants to keep production simple, or because we're too lazy to make a little more effort.

Maybe Cigarette should put Rubrails on the new Gladiator (http://www.cigaretteracing.com/boats/boat_main.htm) , then captians would have to make less effort to dock their boats.

But I have no strong feelings on this subject........ :D

C30; Poodle and I have talked about getting original vents done. I can't believe there wouldn't be people interested. I'm low on cash, but I am very interested, I hate those cheesy perkos.

Barry Phillips
01-11-2004, 02:02 PM
The fuel fill was in the center on my 18, OK at the gas dock but a pain on the trailer, the 22 is a much taller boat so I like the convience of the side mount. The fuel fill is a standard item and I misplaced the little crome key already, I never used the one from the 18 anyway, since it swings on the key chain and marks up the dash. A plastic key I bought dose not fit on the new boat. I am eye balling a neat flush mount billet style with a little flip up grip and can be ordered in any color. As you can see I'm not in to retro, just my own tast, the key is to keep it simple. Weather retro or riged with the lattest and greatest any Classic is a thing of beauty. I love the factory hot rod 22 SE and I have gotten a lot of ideas from it. I replaced the cheezy switch for the Quick and Quiet Plus with the military style toggle switch, same used on the SE 22 and it looks great with a custom bezel. I have something special in mind for a replacement steering wheel. Details count.

Cig 30 what vent covers are you trying to get, I have seen some pretty old Donzis and they look the same to me.

cigarette30
01-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Barry,

The deck to engine room vents were used through about 1990, a chrome plated bronze, the Registry's Rich@optionline had the exact vents untill recently. I really think the new Perco/Attwood look bad. The gas fill is not a dead deal, I too think I like the center mounted. I have ones on my 30' that require no key, I will check the make.

Thanks again guys, sure appreciate any assistance you can offer.

cigarette30
01-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Barry,

Sorry for the additional post. Could you enlighten me on your improvement to the Merc. switch, for the silient choice. I know what you mean I think about the black switch and bezel.

Any chance of a picture.

Mad Poodle,
Your input has also been very much appreciated.

Got a private message, and E-Mail from another member, my vents may be available !!!!

RedDog
01-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I guess I don't know what I am missing - would someone please direct me to or post a picture of the "old style" vents

oldLenny
01-11-2004, 08:03 PM
I have 7-8 of the old ones here, loose, but I plan on using them again. I would be curious as to getting some more done as well. If I was to want to buy them they would HAVE to be the ones that had DONZI cast in them...

Any takers or donors. Our dollar works in your favour and there are many capable foundry's here...Who has a donor DONZI engraved, cast vent to "plug" ?

Barry Phillips
01-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Cig 30, my boat is an 02, so it dose not have the Gaffrig Monsters let into the dash, but the older style powder coated aluminum dash panel with white Gaffrig 2s mounted in polished bezels. With that said the normal location for the Quick and Quiet Plus cut out switch on the new 22s is in the gunnel area under the trim tab location. Since the dealer did not order my boat with through hull exhaust, it had to be a retrofit. The mechanic mounted the standard black switch on the dash panel just above the key switch and base aligned with the speedo. Nice location but an ugly switch. He wanted to use an inverted rocker style to match the others, but it did not fit. So I ordered the same pewter military spec. toggle switch used in the SE as well as a small round beveled switch bezel finished in white powder coat and mounted everything into the same half inch whole the mechanic drilled. As it turned out I did need not need he bezel but it was a nice finishing touch. Both were sourced through nisongermarine.com. I've only seen the round switch bezel on rexmarine.com though. The steering wheel I have in mind, is in my case a red leather Isotta racing wheel also new from Livorsi Marine. I was also sold on the MOMO until I saw this wheel, very cool and kind of retro, it well look great in my 22. Cigarette is using it in its new 38 Top Gun featured in this months Power Boat. It's available in both full round and racing style rims in four colors. It can also be sourced through automotive suppliers. Just type in Isotta steering wheels as a key word; I think you will like it. The grip is leather and the spokes are polished.

I well try to post a picture of my dash with the new switch.

Barry Phillips
01-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Try this link, www.cynoptics.com/Isotta/IsottaVallelunga.asp (http://www.cynoptics.com/Isotta/IsottaVallelunga.asp)

cigarette30
01-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Barry,

You got me thinking. My problem is with the honey, and tan, I did not want the standard white. In the "package" they specified black, however that also did not sound right. My second choice was to try to match the remaining Monster gauges (remember they will be shifted 18" to the left, and minus the speedo, for the Smartcraft and Garmin installation) with a stainless or chrome wheel. I have great Momo now, and may also consider another, although your Isotta look even better. I don't want to make anymore changes to the factory order, but I am requesting every brochure I can get, (Dana, Rex Accon etc.) to make a few additions, if desirable at the dealer level. By the way, Dana offers my "pop up's", 30% less than going to accon direct, THANKS.

Keep it coming!

Barry Phillips
01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Cigarette 30, not to confuse matters but there’s a lot cool stuff out there to personalize your dream 22. What has always budged me about the honey boats is Donzi uses the same components they install on the white-hulled boats. For example the whiteTeleflex helm cowl used on my red on white 22 looks fine but use the same cowl on a honey boat or the white rimed steering wheel, they look out of place. Same goes for using a white through hull horn cover on a boat with colored sides. Ironically my 18 used both a chrome helm cowl and horn cover, which would work great with any color gel. Why did Donzi change something that worked? I'm not a big fan of the platinum Monsters with the honey gel either. The Monster series gauges and angle bezels are available in 9 different colors. The Monster racing series gauges have 4 different standard dial colors including carbon fiber. As far as I know Gaffrig will even do custom dials like the ones used in the 40th Anniversary boat. My advice as a designer, when in doubt uses chrome. The polished Super-Size rimed Monsters with carbon fiber or platinum dials would look awesome in a honey boat. The angled bezels could be blue or polished, although poished has my vote. Super-Sized only means that the gauge dial is recessed deeper into the bezel, sort of like Auto Meters, a cool look. On your boat the switch panel will be to the right of the wheel. Again this is a standard panel and Donzi will usually install a white one with white or black flat switches which both look really out of place in a honey boat. The SE 22 had a white dash with a white panel and platinum military toggles. The military spec. toggles are pricey but are beefy and over sized and would set off your retro theme. Why I'm on a roll, see if you can source a chrome helm cowl because the black cowls that Donzi is now using looks like XXXX, especially in the honey boat, this is a standard Teleflex item. Check out the Donzi marine web site and take a look at the dash in the 40th Anniversary boat, the plastic flat switches don't add much to retro theme of the boat. The platinum bezels on the monsters look OK but imagine chrome deep-dish bezels with those custom yellow dials, COOL. Lastly Isotta offers a tan leather grip, which would compliment your honey gel and carpet, not to mention the tan piping on your seats. My boat is easy with the red boot strip, red piping and red carpet ,the red and polished wheel is a no brainier. I hope I did not over whelm you with ideas but you have many options, and in the end you need to happy. I added a link which is the same switch I used for exhaust cutout , www.livorsi.com/catalog/dashswitch.shtml. (http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/dashswitch.shtml.) Don’t be shy about driving your dealer or Donzi nuts it’s your money .

I might have a line on your pre 1990 cowl vent with the exsposed flage, by a manufacture called Victory Products.

Check this web-site www.rekord-marine.com (http://www.rekord-marine.com) under cowl vents.

Woodsy
01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Cig...

Congrats on the new "ONE OFF"! Sounds like she is going to be one sweet ride... post some pix when you take delivery!

Woodsy Von Outboard... :D
One Off Racer?

cigarette30
01-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Woodsy,

Good to hear from you. Your picture went out today Fed Ex priorty, should be there by weeks end, 2 large copies, took longer than I hoped.

Barry, I deleted that through hull horn, I will install a Cigarette horn (sweet, rich sound), hidden UNDER the deck, its plenty loud. Also, beat you to the punch on the steering wheel mount, speced chrome, no black or white. As far as the gauges, Gaffig is changing them as this is written, (copyright suit just settled) and with only the 7, easy to change, I would like a real dark blue, to match the blue accents, and will pursue after delivery. At that time I will also change the switch plate to match exact gauge trim. Even better, would be to match the steering wheel(at least the mounts) to the gauges/panel.

Barry, if this was a child, I would make you the godfather, appreciate your help, building it is half the fun, I really don't need two boats. Delivery 4 to 5 weeks from last Tuesday.