PDA

View Full Version : New Centroid sender for my 18 C

Bigman99
07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Has anyone installed one in an 18 Classic? Just looking for any advice before I tackle the job this weekend. As well does anyone know the fuel tank capacity on a 1996 18 ? I've seen lots of info on putting one in a 22 but wanted to know specifically if I need to shorten it or any other tips.

gcarter
07-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Take a look here at what's going on right now;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62513

Conquistador_del_mar
07-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Has anyone installed one in an 18 Classic? Just looking for any advice before I tackle the job this weekend. As well does anyone know the fuel tank capacity on a 1996 18 ? I've seen lots of info on putting one in a 22 but wanted to know specifically if I need to shorten it or any other tips.

I installed one in my 1971 18' Donzi when I restored it. I cut the tube to about 1/8" from the bottom of the tank. If you empty the tank first, you can both do a visual inspection of debris in the tank when you have the sending unit out and it makes it easy to set the empty calibration pot. You can then set the full calibration pot screw when you first fill the tank. It might not make any difference, but I connected a battery charger when setting the calibration screws to bring the voltage to the same level as when running with the alternator supplying the extra voltage. I found it to be an easy job. Bill

Ranman
07-13-2010, 12:43 PM

I installed one in my 1997 18. The tank is 40 gallons. I did have to shorten the sender, but I don't remember by how much. Seems like I stuck the sender in til it hit bottom and measured up to the flange + 1/2" for "bottom clearance". If I recall correctly, I used a plumbing tubing cutter (Imp tool)to cut the outer tube and maybe a fine hacksaw for the inner tube. The trouble I've had is getting the flange to seal up. When the tank is really full, I get gas seepage through the tapped flange bolt holes onto the top of the tank.

Tidbart
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM

From your post, I gather that you already purchased it. Correct?

If you are interested, can return the one you have, want more accuracy, can wait a little longer for the part.......... read the post George referred to and respond there.

Bob

Tidbart
07-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Oh, the capacity should be 40 or 41 gallons. Pull the cooler cover off, pull the inspection plate, read the tag, and post the info here for me, will you?

Thanks, Bob

Bigman99
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Will do so this weekend time allowing. Yes I already purchased before I saw the other thread. Thanks for all the advice guys