PDA

View Full Version : Newjack to Donzi...

CAPTBEACH
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
OK...new here...been lurking for a couple of weeks, actually the day I saw my first Donzi 16, she is a 1966 HM 302 in Bright Yella and NOT FOR SALE...I asked...

Anyway an intro...Capt Beach here...USCG Capt (6 pak) here in Hampton Roads Va. I own a 1981 Master Marine 28 Center Console (Moonie boat) with a Suzuki 250, a 1974 SeaCraft SC20 with a 2010 Suzuki DF175 (55mph) and a Kaw 1200 Jetski @ 67 mph...

I have been bitten by the Donzi bug...gotta have one...really looking for an ugly 16 sitting in someones yard or barn but considering an 18 as well...

I just finished a 15 month cap off resto on the 1974 SeaCraft $23K later (including motor) she is a jewel and def a keeper...

Now looking to do a complete resto on a little Donzi...

I am partial to Fords but SBC/BBC seems to have more potential parts wise...

I am very handy with tools, 52 years old and never had a car in the shop, shaped surfboards as a teen and have restored a 15 meter fiberglass racing sailplane as well...I ma very handy with all phases of fiberglass work and refinishing as well as turning a wrench on a motor...I have access to a dyno as well so looking to refinish cosmetics first and then drop in a nicely massaged motor and drive...

I like Dup Props for some reason...are there a lot of 16/18's out there running rather large HP motors and Volvo Duos or Blackhawks?

Thanks ahead of time for any newbie questions I might ask...

Beach

Walt. H.
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Your past experience and age has much in common with many of us, welcome aboard! :yes:

bertsboat
07-12-2010, 04:16 PM
1976 18' 2 plus 2 350 chevy volvo outdrive float on trailer with 4 new tires and bearings. not run in about 10 years. $3000.00. I am in St Augustine FL

gcarter
07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
FWIW, for the difference of two feet, an 18 is a whole lot more boat.
Has a tremendous amount of potential in comparison to a 16.
A bit more room, lots more fuel, and a engine compartment you can actually work in.

Welcome aboard!

Just Say N20
07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
1976 18' 2 plus 2 350 chevy volvo outdrive float on trailer with 4 new tires and bearings. not run in about 10 years. $3000.00. I am in St Augustine FL

Why didn't I find this when I was looking!?! I would have bought this boat in a second. It is even my favorite colors, just like my first X18!

I paid WAY MORE for WAY LESS.

16 months into the restore, and it still hasn't been in the water.

I'm going to kill myself.

Again.

22times2
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
check with younger he has a 16c with a blackhawk and a big motor 80 plus and looks very clean just what your looking for.i believe it is in the for sale section here.good luck.:)

CAPTBEACH
07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
FWIW, for the difference of two feet, an 18 is a whole lot more boat.
Has a tremendous amount of potential in comparison to a 16.
A bit more room, lots more fuel, and a engine compartment you can actually work in.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome aboard...

As far as the 18 over the 16 Yeah...I've thought about that too...a little longer goes a long way sometimes...also the increase in wetted surface area might make the 18 a little faster hp for hp...

So what about big drives for higher HP...is that the way everyone leans?

Which model of the 18 had the large fiberglass scoop on the engine hatch? Option? Aftermarket? Very Sexy and I'm sure functional moving large amounts of cooling air and intake air as well...

So should a guy stay true to his roots and go Ford or SBC/BBC? I'm thinking theres lots of Chevy Go Fast parts out there...

Not afraid to drive for the right deal...considering BumbleBees boat too...

Bertsboat...is that your boat? Additional pics possible? Inside hatch. 360 view?

Tidbart
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Now that is a nice project. I would look into this for a lot of the reasons George stated, plus, no windshield.:yes:

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Bob

CAPTBEACH
07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Now that is a nice project. I would look into this for a lot of the reasons George stated, plus, no windshield.:yes:

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Bob

YES...Asked for more pics...BBee has a nice one too...running...and FORD...

I TOO HATE WINDSHIELDS...maybe on a 22 or bigger but not on a Hot Rod...

CHACHI
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Last I heard, Younger was keeping his 16.

God, I like that 18. George any extra space in your shop?

Ken

gcarter
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
There seems to be a shortage of marine parts for a lot of Fords.

460's have quite a few parts available but at a higher price than GM.
BBC exhaust manifolds can be made to fit w/adapter plates between the heads and manifolds.

SBC's and BBC's are just cheaper.

High horsepower SBC's are becoming more popular. Merc Bravos will do well behind these engines. The small size of these engines do well in an 18.
We've had some rather sprightly 18's here.... one, w/a 427 SBC and a Blackhawk would run reliably well into the 80's.
Another w/a 430+ cu. in, procharged engine, driving through an Arnesson drive would reliably run well over 100.

The search feature is your friend.