PDA

View Full Version : blower timer??

ZekesterbluH3
07-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Hi all,

Merc 330, 86 Hornet III,

I have some type of timer interlock on my ignition switch, the blower has to be on for a certain period before you can engage the starter. If you try to turn the key to start you get nothing. I take it this timer grounds the ignition coil and does not allow it to close to get power to the starter? The issue is, it is taking longer times on occasion to start...

Can anyone enlighten me as to where I might find the timer? I'd like to remove it. I'd rather I was the timer, and had it start more reliably...

Planetwarmer
07-12-2010, 02:16 AM
I have never heard of that. Is it aftermarket? I have an 87 22C with the stock 454/Alpha combo. Mine doesnt have that (unless someone removed it?).

If you don't have a timer, may be your remote mounted slave solenoid for the starter.

mrfixxall
07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

Merc 330, 86 Hornet III,

I have some type of timer interlock on my ignition switch, the blower has to be on for a certain period before you can engage the starter. If you try to turn the key to start you get nothing. I take it this timer grounds the ignition coil and does not allow it to close to get power to the starter? The issue is, it is taking longer times on occasion to start...

Can anyone enlighten me as to where I might find the timer? I'd like to remove it. I'd rather I was the timer, and had it start more reliably...

do you have the combonation pad?? if so theirs a series of wires to disconnect if your going to bypass it..its a black box with a few strip wire coming out of it that go to series of modules.. if it is still working i would just leave it alone..
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_441217_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=441217

ZekesterbluH3
07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
no, nothing like that...

what I thought was a timer couldn't be a bad coil could it? lol, it's been consistant for about 10 years, blower on, wit a minute, then it fires.

if no blower, or not enough time, key turns but starter doesn't, not even a click...

MOP
07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Check the slave solenoid located by the 50amp breaker on the engine, it transfers power to the starters solenoid!

ZekesterbluH3
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
would it fail and be intermittent like that?

DonziJon
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
would it fail and be intermittent like that?

YES: But not for 10 years. :bonk:

BTW: I have never heard of a TIMER on the blower..Period...no offence intended.

ZekesterbluH3
07-13-2010, 09:13 AM
None taken, I talked to the PO, and he says yes there is a timer lol...so now we have 15 years of a 30 second delay to starting...it's atimer, or an awfully consistant fault...

hope to get at it today, and will report back