PDA

View Full Version : 89 Donzi z22 trim falls in 3 hours or so.

89 Z22
07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Any ideas? Also my trim tabs work but leave oil marks on top of tabs? Any help is very thankful.

MOP
07-07-2010, 08:44 PM
The rams are starting to weep, if the bores are Ok you can put new Orings. If they are all scratched up you will need to replace them. I am a salt rat when I haul out I make sure my tabs are full down to keep any and all water out of the bores, that helps to keep the bores from getting scratched.

Phil

89 Z22
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
The rams are starting to weep, if the bores are Ok you can put new Orings. If they are all scratched up you will need to replace them. I am a salt rat when I haul out I make sure my tabs are full down to keep any and all water out of the bores, that helps to keep the bores from getting scratched.

Phil

This may sound dumb but are the rams on lower unit or tabs? I am guessing they are on lower unit and there is one on each side I assume? How big of a project is that to do? Will I notice anything that confirms this is my problem? Thanks

Planetwarmer
07-08-2010, 03:09 AM
This may sound dumb but are the rams on lower unit or tabs? I am guessing they are on lower unit and there is one on each side I assume? How big of a project is that to do? Will I notice anything that confirms this is my problem? Thanks
Both. The rams on the tabs are clearly leaking, leaving oil. Replace the seals on the tab rams.

The rams on the drive is what you were asking about (trim). Remove the rams (one on each side of the drive) and disassemble. When you have the apart, carefully inspect all internal surfaces for scratches. If all looks good, replace the seals.

I youtube everything before I start a project. It helps a lot having someone perform the project infront of you before you ever even try to tackle it yourself. Also google an exploded diagram of your rams on both the tabs and the trim rams.

89 Z22
07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Both. The rams on the tabs are clearly leaking, leaving oil. Replace the seals on the tab rams.

The rams on the drive is what you were asking about (trim). Remove the rams (one on each side of the drive) and disassemble. When you have the apart, carefully inspect all internal surfaces for scratches. If all looks good, replace the seals.

I youtube everything before I start a project. It helps a lot having someone perform the project infront of you before you ever even try to tackle it yourself. Also google an exploded diagram of your rams on both the tabs and the trim rams.

Thanks I will do just that.

brwn234
07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
If the drive is not leaking oil externally than it's an internal leak in either the rams or the pump. A couple years ago I had the same problem and didn't want to just search blindly for my problem so here's what I did:

Raise the drive to the full up position. Block it up or use a jack with a block of wood to hold it temporarily. Remove both hoses from the pump, make sure the drive is blocked up or it'll hit the ground and oil will go everywhere. Join the two hoses with a inverted flare union. I got mine from the auto parts store in the brake fittings section, I forget the size. Now remove the jack. If the drive eventually falls again then the leak is in the rams. If it stays up the leak is in the pump.

My drive stayed up for days so I disassembled the pump and found a bad valve seal. Took less than 10 mins to hook it up. Saved alot of time, easier than diassembling everything.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-09-2010, 01:23 AM
If the drive is not leaking oil externally than it's an internal leak in either the rams or the pump. A couple years ago I had the same problem and didn't want to just search blindly for my problem so here's what I did:

Raise the drive to the full up position. Block it up or use a jack with a block of wood to hold it temporarily. Remove both hoses from the pump, make sure the drive is blocked up or it'll hit the ground and oil will go everywhere. Join the two hoses with a inverted flare union. I got mine from the auto parts store in the brake fittings section, I forget the size. Now remove the jack. If the drive eventually falls again then the leak is in the rams. If it stays up the leak is in the pump.

My drive stayed up for days so I disassembled the pump and found a bad valve seal. Took less than 10 mins to hook it up. Saved alot of time, easier than diassembling everything.

Great way to diagnose the problem. When you disconnect the hoses at the pump, will the pump leak out the remaining fluid? Bill

brwn234
07-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Only a bit if I remember right. The reservoir is below the vavles.

89 Z22
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Only a bit if I remember right. The reservoir is below the vavles.

Perfect thanks for help.