PDA

View Full Version : OK, Not a Donzi but...

txtaz
07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Dad and I decided to go in on a new (to us) boat. It was a pretty good find. 2005 with only 98 hours on it. Now, I need to get it out of Fort Myers and up the East coast to Maine before the oil hits.
It has twin 1008 hp Cats, 1400 gallons diesel, 400 gallons fresh.
Top speed should be around 30knots.
Here are some pics.

zelatore
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Flemming?

30 knots sounds a bit ambitious. I'm going to say 27 knots with 1000 cats. I'm guessing those are C18s?

Nice - I had no idea you were into large cruising yachts.

zelatore
07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
This is driving me crazy. I should be able to identify that sucker!

I want to cancel my Flemming guess and go with GB Aleutian...

zelatore
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Yup, pretty sure it's a 59 Aleutian. The 1000's should be the top motor for that thing. Pretty sweet!

Now I'll have someplace to stay if/when I go back to Maine! :wink:

txtaz
07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Yep, Grand Banks Aleutian 60. Good guess.

We have been into big boats off and on for all our life. This is our biggest. I wanted Dad to have it since he will not be able to boat much longer. His health is not good and Maine is a great place to boat in the summer. I have never seen so many islands to hop. Can you say lobster bake?

I have a buddy who is a captain helping take the boat up. We head up next week. Now to work on my 25 ton captains license. I'll get plenty of time at the wheel.

And you are welcome to stay on the boat or the house anytime.

BUIZILLA
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
wow..............................

Jraysray
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
More like holy crap to me....... Geez Taz. Work is going well I take it. BTW the "not a Donzi but...." Just dosen't seem to fit, it's a friggin Grand Banks!

superhatz
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I LOVE that boat!....nice!

CaribouLou
07-08-2010, 05:26 AM
:shocking:Amazing!

CHACHI
07-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Wes, excellent!! Congrants and enjoy the cruise north.

Ya know, from Maine it is only a tank of fuel to the Thousand Islands from the Atlantic. :wink:

Ken

mike o
07-08-2010, 08:09 AM

We have been into big boats off and on for all our life. This is our biggest. I wanted Dad to have it since he will not be able to boat much longer. His health is not good and Maine is a great place to boat in the summer. I have never seen so many islands to hop. Can you say lobster bake?

I have a buddy who is a captain helping take the boat up. We head up next week. Now to work on my 25 ton captains license. I'll get plenty of time at the wheel.

And you are welcome to stay on the boat or the house anytime.What do you NEED that for now..........:kingme::kingme::kingme:, Congrats.:wink:

Team Jefe
07-08-2010, 08:16 AM
No bad for a SMALL cruiser:boggled:

Carl C
07-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Is that last pic really a photo?

Just Say N20
07-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Holy Crap is right!

That is gorgeous! A truly spectacular yacht. You should enjoy it greatly.

Congratulations.

90,000 lbs is almost 41 tons. I was aware of a 100-ton license, I didn't know there was a 25 ton. Would that "work" with a 40 ton vessel?

I have trouble feeding our 38 CARVER, and it is only $1,000 to fill the tank, and we get .4 mpg at cruise. This gets .2 mpg if cruising at 25 knots, so every 300 miles it would be a $5,400 fill up! :shocking:

I know, everything is relative.

txtaz
07-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys. I never thought I would go for something like this. And if it were just for me, I wouldn't.
The pics were taken by the surveyor. You should see the ones the broker sent. I think they came straight out of the brochure. The last one looks like the showing of the home tour. I'll take more next week.

Ken, Great idea. I don't know if Dad is up for a week trip. But I would like to see the area. And yes, filling this thing up costs some money. I have a feeling I will be staying on the boat when we get up there. The house doesn't have AC, the boat does.

Jefe, Just how many red bikinis do you think we can get on this thing?

N2O, I'm not sure what license I need. I just started looking at getting it. Capt Jefe?
I don't know what the difference between 25, 50 or 100 is. I'm a newbie in this size.

zelatore
07-08-2010, 04:00 PM

And you are welcome to stay on the boat or the house anytime.

Don't bother with the 25 ton - go straight ahead and get a 100 ton if you've got the time under your belt. The testing is the same, or at least it was a few years ago when I took the tests.

Sweet boat, and although I haven't cruised Maine when I was there I took one look down from the plane when we were on approach and said 'yup, I could cruise here!'

tjags
09-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey Taz-

If you and the boat are headed to Casco Bay anytime soon or in the future shoot me a message. I'm out of Falmouth (next to Portland). Only have a sweet 16, but the island hopping is fun.

penbroke
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
You don't need a license to drive the boat unless you do it for hire.

The "tonnage" is based on the volume of the vessel and not the displacement. My 25' SeaRay weighed (displaced) about 5000 lbs. and was a 5 ton vessel. The calculations are in Chapman's and elsewhere I'm sure.

Apply for the 100 ton. They will knock you back to one step above the largest size you have significant sea time on. The biggest boat I had real time on was a 5 ton cruiser so I ended up with a 50 ton license. As I understand it when I renew it will be automatically kicked up to 100 ton.

Nice boat by the way... Where is it now?

Frank

thriller
09-03-2010, 01:15 AM
That Beauty needs to be Christened with some really fine Scotch Wes!:boat:

LKSD
09-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Very nice.. Good luck with it.. That thing is bigger than my house!.. lol