PDA

View Full Version : What is proper nav and anchor light setup for 16

BobinCovington
07-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Wanted to check with folks on what the correct light setup should be for my 16 ski sporter. It has a small front bicolor red/green nav light in front, then a similar one with a white light on the deck just in front of the cockpit. It also has the stern white light flush mounted in the rear behind the hatch.

I assume the front bi color nav light is ok, but are the other two white lights ok? Does the rear stern light suffice or does it really need an anchor light on a post? Should the pull switch for the lights have two "on" positions, one for running with nav lights, gauges and one for just anchor lights? Since it is an old boat, I would like to keep it as stock as possible, but also legal.

Can anyone offer any help on the subject?

Tidbart
07-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Front sounds correct. Switch sounds correct with 2 positions. Not sure where you 2 white lights are. White light must be seen for 360*. That is why they are on a post. Must be above everything else. Of course none of this matters if you don't run at night.:wink:

B

austinmark
07-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Sounds like your running lights are fine (bow & stern). The problem would be the white light on deck....many DONZIs & others had a screw in recepticle on their deck (just forward of the dash/windscreen) for an Ancor light mast. Sounds like someone changed it on your boat to a deck mounted anchor light, which I would not expect to be correct/legal (too low for proper visability). Your switch positioning sounds right. :cool!:

gcarter
07-07-2010, 07:50 AM
A lot of folks are adding a plug in mast on or near the transom so it doesn't blind you like the mast in front of the windshield.
On the TR, I'm filling in the hole for the front deck mast hole and mounting the rear mast where the rear lifting ring formerly lived.

mattyboy
07-07-2010, 08:09 AM
It left the factory with the running lights up front the mast light on the fore deck and it should have a stern anchor light at the top of the transom.

all that has been mentioned is true the fore deck light if it is not high enough can cause glare and blindness.

my 16 was setup the same way someone added the rear mast light.

I wired my switches ( two one position off/on) one to activate the nav lights and the rear mast light one to activate the foredeck mast and stern transom anchor lights.

I never really anchored out on the water at night and very rarely used the fore deck removeable mast light but those times backing into a slip at night the stern transom light was great

here's a guideline most boats our size use figure 2 also notice midship mast lights are different from stern mast lights. If you use a stern mast light it cast light in a 360 degrees pattern the midship mast light should not cast light rearwards towards the driver so not to impact his vision

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/4_2_b.php

BobinCovington
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the input...I am thinking I will remove the clamshell vent on the bow and filling the hole. Also I am considering removing and filling the hole from the bow white light too. Just want to make it true to original and legal, but want to keep the flush mount compass in the deck (since it brings back memories of those trips to Catalina as a kid with my dad).
I have thought about one of those mast style anchor lights on the rear deck too.

Greg Guimond
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the input...I am thinking I will remove the clamshell vent on the bow and filling the hole.
Bob, you have one of the coolest original 16's on the board. If that clamshell is original from the factory in 1966 consider keeping it in place and using it to house some type of led flood light. Only you will know it is there, it will draw no power, very handy at night when approaching a dock or your trailer.

Also I am considering removing and filling the hole from the bow white light too.
Was this white light that I see turned on in your photo original from the factory? I recognize that its intended purpose is to act the way a pole mounted stern 360 degree white light would act in modern times, but I could not determine if that was a factory location back in 1966.

Just want to make it true to original and legal, but want to keep the flush mount compass in the deck (since it brings back memories of those trips to Catalina as a kid with my dad). I have thought about one of those mast style anchor lights on the rear deck too.
Agree 110% on keeping things original first and foremost. That is one rare piece you have there! You might be able to sneak a stern light fitting in where the two cushions join in the rear. Hard to tell from the photos what is there but if you could, it would conceal the fitting for the few times you would need a modern, elevated stern pole light to meet code.

BobinCovington
01-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I need to talk to my dad about what was original and what if anything was added. I kind of like the light idea in the vent.

BobinCovington
01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
So question answered...part way at least. I talked to my dad and he said that he had installed the bow clam shell vent and the compass, but the front mounted white light was there when he purchased the boat from Balboa Marina in Newport in 66. I checked the photos of the boat during the test in Boating news and I can see the little white anchor light on the deck (So it stays and the vent will go). But I am still keeping the compass for family nostalgia reasons.

I probably won't be doing a lot of night running anyway. There is no way I am taking this boat 30 miles offshore and running at night like he did. Lakes are just fine :)