PDA

View Full Version : I haven’t used/started my 16 in 2+ years..

dr
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
What if anything should I DO prior to or be SENSITIVE TO other than what one normally does first time out at the beginning of the season, IE check hoses, belts, fluids, etc
It’s a 95 and was winterized and stored inside for much of that time (winters)….tank was topped off and had stabilization added… I don’t have the hours used but they have to be very very low….
I have never done anything extensive/preventative IE bearings, impellers other than change fluids, inspect and clean plugs etc…
Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated…
Thanks,
David

Nmbr1GMfan
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
IMO the safest would be to let a service guy go over it but if you are handy you could check all fluids and give it a complete going over.

Tidbart
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Also, I would turn it over without starting it, to build up oil pressure before you run it. (ground the coil wire)

Bob

yeller
07-07-2010, 01:26 AM
As far as the engine goes, here's my backyard mechanic way:

Regardless of fuel stabilizer. I wouldn't trust 2yr old fuel. Replace with fresh fuel and replace the fuel filter.

Change the oil and filter.

After sitting for 2yrs, all the oil will have drained back to the pan and your rotating assembly will be fairly dry.
Get an old distributor and pull the shaft out of it. ($5 at a wreckers. I assume it's SBC). Grind the end down so it fits in a drill. Pull the engine distributor and valve covers. With your make-shift shaft in the drill, connect it to the oil pump and spin it until oil pumps out the lifter push rods. (A 500rpm drill won't cut it. You'll need to spin it faster than that).

Pull the plugs and give each cylinder about a tablespoon of oil. With the plugs still out, turn the engine over to coat the cylinders and help seal the rings. Put everything back together, cross your fingers :crossfing:, and fire it up........hopefully.

.......or just turn the key and see what happens. Not what I'd recommend.........but that doesn't mean I haven't done it myself. :boggled:

austinmark
07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
In addition to everyone else's comments/suggestions, I would also put a new water pump impeller kit in your rig PRIOR to firing it up. I would suspect your impellar may be a crispy critter.......I would also suck out the old gas, oil, plugs, etc. and crank, don't start several times to circulate oil as much as possible. :cool!:

dr
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the information so far....thus far 7 calls to the county trying to get information/approval RE disposal of old gas...

if I recall correctly the tank is qround 30 gallons...is that correct...they shot down the idea of a large barrell IE 55 gallon, suggested it be in 2 liter bottles..

Thanks again. David

McGary911
07-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the information so far....thus far 7 calls to the county trying to get information/approval RE disposal of old gas...

if I recall correctly the tank is qround 30 gallons...is that correct...they shot down the idea of a large barrell IE 55 gallon, suggested it be in 2 liter bottles..

Thanks again. David

For the gas, you may try putting up a free ad on Craigslist giving it away. I wouldn't run it in a hi-po motor, but It's likely there's a local landscaper who'll run it in his 2 strokes. I've used a site called freecycle.org as well. People will take ANYTHING on freecycle.

It's up to the taker to pump it out......

Tidbart
07-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks again. David

Do the rest of the prep first and then see if it runs. Gas may be good. You can always pop off the sender and take a look in the tank, see if there is any junk or lacquer.
I bought a boat year ago that had been laid up for 5 years. 50 gallon tank. At first I tried taking out a gallon and burning it. That would have taken about a month. Looked in the tank, looked good. Took it out and ran it. No problems.

B

mike o
07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Do the rest of the prep first and then see if it runs. Gas may be good. You can always pop off the sender and take a look in the tank, see if there is any junk or lacquer.
I bought a boat year ago that had been laid up for 5 years. 50 gallon tank. At first I tried taking out a gallon and burning it. That would have taken about a month. Looked in the tank, looked good. Took it out and ran it. No problems.

B +1..:yes:. Put in a drum if its CLEAN and put in your car in 2-3-4 gallon increments, to a full tank and burn it up.

MOP
07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
A couple of squirts of Marvel Mystery oil in all the cylinders left to sit a day or so to soak into the ring lands along with the other good ideas posted.

dr
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks again for some really good advice…

I’d rather replace the gas and not take a chance of having a problem on the water so I’m going to try McGary911 brilliant idea of ‘giving’ the old fuel away…

I think I’ll even take that tack this fall and advertise ‘free mulch’, noting of course you have to rake, bag and haul the ‘mulch’ after its all off the trees…

mattyboy
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
what mop said Marvel Mystery oil plus add a little to the crankcase oil and the new gas as well.

I would change the oil first then run her and change the oil again after the run check the oil if it looks good

Kirbyvv
07-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I did what Mike O suggested about the gas a few years ago. I put it in the car tank, a couple gallons at a time, used some in the lawn mower, weed wacker, etc. I never noticed any issue.