PDA

View Full Version : New guy $$ ??'s

Nmbr1GMfan
07-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Been a member here for years as a lurker. I have never owned a boat or been in a 16 18 or 22 but have for years loved sweets and classics. I have been recently watching the for sale Donzis out there, not knowing much I went to the NADA website to get a good feel for a value of a classic. I see boats for sale close to the "guide value" and others 5k above, what gives? I found a '94 "sweet 16" for over 10k but the book says its worth $5500?????? Am I missing some key elements? Thanks for any info.

Tidbart
07-06-2010, 06:45 AM
NADA is just a guide. When it comes to boats it is very hard to put a book value on them. There are so many variables involved. Most boats, especially Donzis are customized to some level and that can change the value dramatically. If you also notice, NADA has no 'mileage' (hours), or condition adjustment for boats. It's much different for cars. Big difference between an engine with 150 hours and one with 1500 hours. Best you can do it keep an eye on current sales and when you find one you like have it surveyed by a pro.

Bob

mike o
07-06-2010, 07:55 AM
And adjust your Ins coverage amount accordingly...........:yes: That little book can hurt.:nilly:

MOP
07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
NADA does fairly well with cars but has been proven to be Whacked Out on boat values!

Just Say N20
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Like everything in life, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay you for it, no matter what any price guide says.

Like already mentioned, the guide doesn't have any correction for the "use" factor. And, Donzis are desirable boats, and tend to hold their value very well.

If it is something you really like, the bottom line question is, what are you willing to pay to own it? Some of the boats out there have prices that are a little whacked, but they also tend to be for sale for a long time.

I am aware of many mid-80s classics that have recently sold for $12,500 or more, but they were all very nice boats.

There is a 1971, Classic 18 for sale on the board right now ( http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58750 ) for $30,000 and you couldn't touch it for anywhere near that amount if you were to do it yourself. It is a BARGIN at that price, even when you consider a new 18 is around $50,000.

Good luck with the search. It is very rare to find a "nice" used Donzi for less than $5,000 to $6,000. My $5,000 Donzi has cost me $13,500 so far, and it still isn't done eating my wallet.

Nmbr1GMfan
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Very good, thanks for the replies.

Donzi Vol
07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
When I went to the bank for mine (yeah...I financed it...will pay off soon enough), the loan writer was curious why I was paying what I did for the boat since the NADA is somewhere around $2700. I explained that the NADA simply reflects a 40 year old boat. It does not reflect the fact that it is a classic/antique/collector boat which also happens to carry a very pricy name. We sent some finished ebay and classified sales to the bank and insurance company. Both worked out well at the end of the day.