PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on these 2 powerplants

mattyboy
07-05-2010, 10:54 AM
looks like some funds will be freed up, good grades do payoff ;)

one of these 2 will be dropped in soon as the existing motor ( I use that term loosely) is a real cluster@#ck

I have been going thru my options and these come with high recomendations from the local marina guys

the 351w would be a no brainer except for the exhaust and possible clearance issues

so the 302 is the front runner thoughts??

http://www.promarperformanceengines.com/marine-performance-engine-ford-302-CI.asp

http://www.promarperformanceengines.com/marine-performance-engine-ford-351-CI.asp

gcarter
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Matty, I don't know as much about engines as some here, but you can buy "NEW" crate engines from Ford w/forged rotating assemblies for maybe similar prices. They aren't "marine" engines, but there may not be that much difference.
Also, the prices listed are list, and I know that a lot of dealers will discount significantly.
So, check this out;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp

Click on "Small block 302 based engines"

Unfortunately, the first column is "NLA", but the third looks interesting.

BUIZILLA
07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
347 roller motor..............................

mattyboy
07-06-2010, 07:42 AM
I was under the impression marine engines besides all the bolt on stuff like starter ,dist,and alt. were built a little differently like extra water passages thru the heads and constructed to work under extra load????

if you order a warmed up street motor like the 347 @400 hp isn't the cam to aggressive and reversion an issue?? not to mention exhaust limitations??

I am by far no motor guy and just basically change fluids, this is just the impression I have gotten from hangin around.

so If I can order a street motor for 7k and need to order a custom CMI setup for exhaust for what 5-6k ? I am in the rip it all out and drop a scorpion stroker and a bravo neighborhood?????

the grades are good but not that good ;)

so I think I am back to my original 2 choices

Sweet Cheekz
07-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Matty
You are right the exhaust can eat you up on a lot of choices in a hurry. Based on the budget they look good but do you know anyone that has one in his/her boat?
Parnell

Forgot to look Whats the warrenty?

mattyboy
07-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Parnell,

I have talked to a few car guys who know their work and a few marina guys have confirmed they do good work.

I am researching references that have their marine motors in place especially fords.

I've been tempted to try and do this myself, I have no fear about dismantling it, putting it back together is where I have no confidence in my abilities. I would over tighten something or not tighten it enough causing a leak or worse. not knowing the little in and outs of how to build a motor doing something out of order or forgeting something. I mean I always have spare parts when i build something patio furniture ,storage shelves same goes for putting together a motor right?? ;)

BigGrizzly
07-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I am in the 351 camp, something like a PCM exhaust to start cheap. A 351 marine is like a truck engine.

mattyboy
07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Grizz would love to have a 350hp 351 but i don't think the osco risers will let the motor breathe the way it needs to I have a set on the 302 now.

the motor builder states it needs a performance exhaust so I think it would need hiteks or cmi

BigGrizzly
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Actually they have center rser for them. you can do 350 with them, not much more.

mattyboy
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
a buddy just sent me this link

wonder if they can do a marine version

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lWE7hRMOw&feature=related

Conquistador_del_mar
07-09-2010, 11:57 AM
a buddy just sent me this link

wonder if they can do a marine version

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lWE7hRMOw&feature=related

That is about the same engine as I have in my Shelby Cobra, but mine was dynoed at 489HP. They are fairly pricey, but they certainly make some great HP. Go for it - :yes: Bill

motorcity
07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=
Unfortunately, the first column is "NLA", but the third looks interesting.[/QUOTE]

The 3rd one is a Boss302 based engine, I would think he would have a hard time finding exhaust manifolds for this application. They would be the same as a 351 cleveland, which I would think is very rare to find manifolds for a marine application.

gcarter
07-09-2010, 08:06 PM
The 3rd one is a Boss302 based engine, I would think he would have a hard time finding exhaust manifolds for this application. They would be the same as a 351 cleveland, which I would think is very rare to find manifolds for a marine application.

Oooops!

Never was a Ford expert.

BigGrizzly
07-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a Cleveland in my Corsican exhaust are custom made. Head angle is way different. As for marinizing not an issue.--- BUT check the options. Car only guys have marine problembs with out water experience. What we find is the marine engine work better in cares then car engines in boats. Actually boat engines are better street rod engines then hp car engnes.

Christian
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Where are you in school?

dont waste $$ on CMI they look pretty but you will pay in the long run through the nose...no matter how good your grades get...

Chris
always cheering on the underdog...donzi owner whos a student...i have been there...

BigGrizzly
07-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Christian CMI stands for Custom Marine. That is the only way to get BOSS manifolds.

mattyboy
07-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Christian,

my college days and my liver are long gone, the good grades are my daughters, after her first year she has recieved an 85% scholarship for her remaining 5 years so my tuition bill is way down.
so that frees up money to put into the hornet ahead of schedule

hopefully if there's time this summer I can get this done the bar has been going absolutely nuts lately, if not the work will get done over the winter

Christian
07-11-2010, 09:14 PM
been racing for some time now with Custom marine headers on 525...nothing but issues. is there another way?

BigGrizzly
07-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Mine have an antireverson ring inside at the collector. It takes about 3/4" ont of the diameter but has NO affect on HP. I heard stories outproduced power but they are just BS. One more thing if the collector is in the 1/2 wave position it will also have an issud

mrfixxall
07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
been racing for some time now with Custom marine headers on 525...nothing but issues. is there another way?

theirs always harden marines big guns and stelling's..no issues with either!

mattyboy
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
this is a very uncommon one wonder if the bell housing is set up for merc??

from ebay

ford lightning 5.4 marine prototype

I AM PLEASE TO BRING YOU THIS AUCTION FOR ANOTHER WEIRDO OF MINE.
THIS IS A PROTOTYPE ENGINE THAT WAS GOING TO BE USED IN AN ON GOING EFFORT FOR FORD TO GET BACK INTO THE MARINE BUSINESS. THERE WERE A COUPLE OF BOATS ACTUALLY BUILT WITH THIS POWER TRAIN FOR TESTING PURPOSES AND THIS IS ONE OF THE ENGINES FROM THE SCRAPPED PROJECT.
FULLY SELF CONTAINED. HAS A STAND ALONE HARNESS AND A COMPARTMENT FOR A PROCESSOR WHICH IS NOT THERE ANY LONGER. COMES WITH A TUNED AIR INLET AND A SET OF STAINLESS STEEL BOX TYPE HEADERS WITH INTER-COOLING FOR FRESH WATER.
THIS CAN EASILY BE USED AS A STREETROD PACKAGE. THE BELL HOUSING IS OBVIOSLY UNIQUE TO MARINE BUT CAN BE UN-BOLTED AND A STANDARD MODULAR TRANS. BOLTED TO IT.
I WAS TOLD THAT THE PROJECT WAS SCRAPPED DUE TO THE MARINE INDUSTRY CHANGING THEIR STANDARDS ON EMISSIONS WHICH THIS ENGINE DID NOT PASS FOR MARINE USAGE. UNIT CAME FROM A COMPANY CALLED ENGINE CENTER WHICH WAS A FORD POWER PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTOR FOR STAND ALONE ENGINE PACKAGES SUCH AS THIS. UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
FREE FREIGHT IS FOR THE 48 CONTINENTAL U.S. STATES ONLY.

BigGrizzly
07-15-2010, 11:08 AM
First is that engine hates log exhaust for starters.

The Hedgehog
07-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Lot's of others have had problems with the 525 headers. They have some weak points. E-tops are more durable.

Lightning may be able to do some for the Fords. You should probably check into that.

mattyboy
07-17-2010, 08:58 AM
First is that engine hates log exhaust for starters.

Grizz,

do you know anything about that project?? would be interesting to hear what really happened??
what were the specs on the 5.4???