PDA

View Full Version : Im sure into this dash project now!!!

Planetwarmer
07-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Pics

Planetwarmer
07-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Pic 1- beginning the process. I didnt want to screw up the wiring, so i took off the old gauge, and wired up the new one before moving on.

Pic 2-after the old panel was removed.

Pic 3- new wheel I had custom made. The wheel is 1 piece of aluminum, and the front half is wrapped in white leather. The new wheel and the old wheel are the same diameter.

Pic 4- I had the center cap laser etched--Thanks Axel

Pic 5- this is the rough cut piece of stainless that will replace the old panel. I will show pics of the process later.

Planetwarmer
07-05-2010, 12:54 AM
The 1st pic is me cutting the holes, the second is about 1/4 the way through hand polishing (about 10 hours so far, which is where I am now:boggled:).

Planetwarmer
07-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I moved the bennet trim tab switches up to where it was more comfortable for me. I hated the cheap black plastic, so I machined a new one.

Planetwarmer
07-05-2010, 01:04 AM
I have about 30 hours into this now. I should have just worked over time and paid someone to do it for me. And Im only half way dun!!!!!!!!!:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::b onk::bonk:

jonzis donzi
07-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Looks great! This work is something you will be proud of every time you take the boat out and will be one of a kind. Congrats!

Bobby D
07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Nice work, project is well though out and when you are done it will be the way you like it. New wheel may be hard to keep clean.

CHACHI
07-07-2010, 10:26 AM
PW, moved my tab switch to that location a loooong time ago.

Much more user friendly than the dash. Also rewired my switch at the same time. I find that more user friendly.

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
That steering wheel and etched bezel are awesome. Did you have the bezel powder coated with clear? Bill

CaribouLou
07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I did a stainless dash a few months ago, quite similar to yours....let me find a pic or two

axelkloehn
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Pic 4- I had the center cap laser etched--Thanks Axel

Wooow, that cap really looks good!

You're welcome, Nathan, glad I could help you. Good luck with the rest.

Planetwarmer
07-08-2010, 03:17 AM
That steering wheel and etched bezel are awesome. Did you have the bezel powder coated with clear? Bill
All of the metal is bare as of now.

I can powder coat stuff for myself. Do you think I aught to powder coat all of the polished Al clear before I install it?

Conquistador_del_mar
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
All of the metal is bare as of now.

I can powder coat stuff for myself. Do you think I aught to powder coat all of the polished Al clear before I install it?

If you powder coated the parts, they will not oxidize. Otherwise, they will likely need constant buffing which would probably ruin the etching.

Planetwarmer
07-12-2010, 02:06 AM
1.Polished to a mirror finish-10 hours
2.I drew a grid pattern-3 hours
3.I started the burnishing, and didnt like how it looked. I re-polished the area that I started, cried, redrew another grid pattern (1/4" squares)-5-6 hours
4.The process of the burnishing-7 hours
5.Fini !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now its time to cut/drill the fiberglass, rewire everything, and assemble.

Notice that I painted the helm red. Ill paint the trim around the glove box, and the shifter. Ill replace the plastic stuff on the shifter with some stainless to match the dash.

I'm off to study for my organic chemistry mid-term.

Planetwarmer
07-12-2010, 02:07 AM
THAT WAS A LOT OF CIRCLES!:shocking::shocking::shocking:

I'll be cross-eyed for a week!:bonk:

axelkloehn
07-12-2010, 03:12 AM
I like the "drew a grid pattern- 3hrs, wiped it off, drew another grid pattern" LOL

Did you really do it with the 10 inch ruler? Why not a grid print-out (on thin paper) and mount it with spray mount?

Anyway, looks fantastic!! It was worth the time you spent on it!

Planetwarmer
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I like the "drew a grid pattern- 3hrs, wiped it off, drew another grid pattern" LOL

Did you really do it with the 10 inch ruler?

Why not a grid print-out (on thin paper) and mount it with spray mount?

I used the 12" ruler for the vertical lines, and a 36" ruler for the horizontal lines.

AND

Now you tell me!

bertsboat
07-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Would you mind sharing the steering wheel source> It looks great. You are doing a fantastic job on that dash. Keep it up!

zelatore
07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
It looks fantastic, but just fyi you do know you can buy engine turned s/s, right? I bought a sheet for my dash last year from fpm metals.

Planetwarmer
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
It looks fantastic, but just fyi you do know you can buy engine turned s/s, right? I bought a sheet for my dash last year from fpm metals.
I wanted to learn how to do it myself, and I personally get more satisfaction if someone compliments my work if I did every bit.

Planetwarmer
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Would you mind sharing the steering wheel source> It looks great. You are doing a fantastic job on that dash. Keep it up!

I got the wheel from http://www.budnik.com/

I wanted a 60s hot rod look with a modern(ish) flare.

It is a car steering wheel, so you have to buy a hub that will fit it. I got my hub at Rex marine

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=steerhub9-1pcIL

Planetwarmer
09-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I finally got around to posting a pic of the mostly completed dash project. I will probably fab a glove box lid and paint it the same red as the current red trim, and put "DONZI" on the lower left side of the new lid.

Planetwarmer
09-11-2010, 02:47 AM
One of the toughest things to do, was match the radius of the curve on the ends. I had to burnish the metal flat, the cover the ends with tape to protect the finish. I then held the metal up where I wantwed it, and made marks where I needed to bend it out on the ends. That took several hours to complete. Every time I had to check every minute bend, I had to climb in the boat. To bend or correct a bend, I had to climb out of the boat to do the work.

Im glad its on the boat. It is unique, and I feel it gives a nice custom Rod look. Its better than the 1980s rectangle plastic. Now, I have to paint the lettering to mark what the indicators and switches do.

The breakers are mounted to a stainless panel under the center of the dash. If you lay on your back between the seats, you are staring at the panel.

Planetwarmer
09-11-2010, 02:55 AM
OH. I also have a gauge bezel for the hour meter. I'm probably going to put the hour meter in the engine compartment, and put a depth sounder in its place. I separated that gauge from the others, because the original plan was a depth sounder, and I didn't want to mix the digital display with the analog gauges. I also really like the key being on the right side of the steering wheel. I had several inspirations for this project, one of them was the dash of a Shelby Cobra. That is why I chose that steering wheel design, and the placement of the key. I was tempted to use a wooden Shelby wheel, but like I said before, I wanted a custom hot rod look.

Planetwarmer
09-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Im going to keep the stock shifter. I am going to paint it red and do a urethane clear like I did with the helm and the original glove box trim. I will also insert some stainless with the same treatment the metal on the dash has. I had a friend laser track the oval shape of the helm base. Im going to enlarge that shape by about 2 inches and cut a piece of stainless and burnish it as well. Ill mount that oval under the shifter base to kind of "spice up" the original shifter. I think this will tie the dash and shifter with each other.

You can see that I mounted the kill switch under the dash, cuz its ugly.

tmh
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Great job!

I have to comment on how much I like the Dana shifter. They look very nice in my opinion but mine has such a nice smooth feel for the slightest of changes in speed. They aren't cheap but considering what a plastic one costs you do get something for the money spent. They also come in red. You'd think I was a salesman for them but I really like the way mine works and looks. I found a used one that was brand new.

T.M. Hayes

The Hedgehog
09-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice work. Simple and clean with the proper amount of bling. I like it.