PDA

View Full Version : 289 hi po brought back to life in 66 Ski Sporter

BobinCovington
07-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Had to join in the engine threads...Here is a picture of the engine we are "re-vitalizing" in our boat as we go through things. It is an old 289 hipo engine that was originally built for my dad in 1966 by Dave Zueschel in Southern Calif and then just kept up over the years with very few hours on it. I would estimate there are less than 200-300 total engine hours. He special ordered the Hipo 289 new from Ford and had the motor built. Not super horsepower, but balanced everything so it runs smooth and reliable (but I can vouch it does have some good power). I found the receipts from Zueschel's shop and also Ed Iskendarian Cam company and Modello Heads...awesome to see all those legends were involved. Also have the Dyno records showing the 260 horsepower The original Donzi supplied engine was swapped out and this was put in.

The original Eaton Series 16 was great, but at one point I remember twisting off the shaft. Dad had the whole outdrive re-done by a machine shop with new shafts and gears throughout. Had an inboard shaft with an inboard style prop put on.

So now it is back in and running smooth, ready for a test run in a few days. We replaced oil pump, fuel filters, plugs, wires, coil, converted from dual points to electronic and a new fuel line. Not to mention all the other misc things and checks and adjustments. Now if they just had leaded 94 octane...

I will post up more when I get some photos of the reworked motor back in.

BobinCovington
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
"Refreshed" Motor is back in...

CaribouLou
07-22-2010, 02:15 PM
That motor sounds AMAZING when its running....and the whole boat looks so cool in the water. We should meet up soon on the lake Bob.

BobinCovington
07-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Kelly,
There is a chance we might take it out on Lake Wa this Sunday for a spin. Golf Tourney on Saturday...otherwise it would be sooner.