PDA

View Full Version : valve cover question

flying tomato
07-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I have true roller rockers and a pretty high lift cam. My stock cast aluminum valve covers just barely fit and actually touch a couple of the locknuts that hold down the rocker arms. The rocker arms do not touch the valve cover at any time. However, my question is: does there need to be more clearance between the rocker arms and the valve cover for oiling purposes.

Note: I have about 50 hrs on the set up and all looks fine.

Flying Tomato

wagspe208
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Run it.
Wags

BTW, you can run a fel pro double thickness valve cover gasket if you need more clearance. FP1604 (SBC) or FP1630(BBC). They are 2 layers of cork with a steel core. Very sturdy pieces.
We usually get a couple of years plus on a set on the drag hydro. Valve covers off and on a few times a year. This will be a lifetime in pleasure boat world.

mrfixxall
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
unfortunately your valve covers are the rubber seal style and they don't make a thicker gasket for it.. But theirs a way around it, first you will need to remove the anti squash castings that are molded into the valve cover..get the gaskets that wags suggested then you will need to get some ultra black sealer and fill the void in the valve cover that the old rubber sits in,,place the fp cork extra thick gasket over the sealed area and flip the valve covers over..set them on a flat surface and set something heavy on top of them and let them set up over night..make sure all the holes are lined up..

option 2 http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/swap-shop/232641-hardin-xs-valve-covers.html

hdsadey
07-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Centerbolt valve covers? Whats the rocker ratio, cam specs? I'm fitting 1.6 rollers under stock covers with .431 int./ .451 exh. with no apparent problems!

Cuda
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
They make aftermarket tall valve covers. I used them on the 355 I built. I only bought them because they were red.:)

flying tomato
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Nobody has responded to the main question----do I need to replace the vc's for oiling purposes, or does it matter.

Motor is a 496cid, with hydraulic cam.

The stock vc's fit. There is just very little clearance between rocker arm and vc.

mrfixxall
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Nobody has responded to the main question----do I need to replace the vc's for oiling purposes, or does it matter.

The stock vc's fit. There is just very little clearance between rocker arm and vc.

it dont matter,,just need the baffels for the breathers,,,what ever you do measure the distance of the valve covers to the exhaust manifolds..the ones on oso are a bit taller but are notched for the manifold..

upnorth
07-02-2010, 05:30 PM
As the oiling does not come out of the top of the rocker studs themselves I can't see an oiling problem, however the contact with the valve cover will cause a very tiny amount of material to be shaved off from vibration. Probably not a problem, but something to think about.

Cuda
07-02-2010, 06:08 PM

No.

As they say, a miss is as good as a mile.

Cuda
07-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Every engine I ever fooled with would get it's oil though the hollow pushrods, and the rocker arms would dispense the oil.