PDA

View Full Version : Imco external sterring add on

Titan
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Just wondering if anyone has experienced stiff steering at idle after installing an external add on kit? Over the winter I installed an imco dual ram system and ever since have a hard time docking the boat as you can't turn the wheel too fast. Seems fine running when rpm is higher or maybe it's just that I'm not turning as far, doesn't seem any different than before at speed. Don"t think there is any air left in system??? I bought a new single side system off a guy that never installed it and added the second side from imco, they said that was common to do. The only difference is the rams are 5/8" instead 1". Seems like there is a restriction or an orifice that is too small. Is adding full hydraulic to the helm going to cure this problem??? Don't see an Imco tech line on their website, do they have one? It's hard to go from a one finger steer to looking like you don't know how to dock your boat, especially after spending a couple grand. Any thougths would be appreciated.:confused:

CHACHI
07-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Installed a Zieger system a few years ago and the "stiffness" at idle was a little disapointing, but then I didn't know what to expect. I am used to it after these years, but....

I have done some research on the "matter" and have found a valve in the power steering pump people say to "drill out" to build more pressure at low RPM,s, but I have not done that yet.

Ken

zelatore
07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
hmmm...I did a dual ram Zieger on my boat but didn't really notice it being stiff at idle. Maybe I'm just desensitized.