PDA

View Full Version : need help on gps selections

raym80
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
i am tossed up between the Si-Tec GPS 95cp, and the Garmin 441, they are about the same price the si-tec has a bigger and higher resolution screen but i am worried it wont be as refined as the Garmin. Does anyone have experience with either of these gps's. Thanks

zelatore
06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
I haven't used the SciTec, but I can tell you that with any GPS, the bigger the screen the better. You'll have less zooming in/out to see what's ahead while still seeing details.

Also check the price and availability of charts for the unit for your boating area(s). What format does SciTec use? Garmin uses a proprietary chart, so while they are generally available, they aren't exactly cheap. Also double check the level of detail on any built-in charts - they might have a basic built-in, but will you still want to buy the detailed version of the chart for another $200?

I have a Garmin 5-something (546?) on my 22 - it's OK, but over-all I'm not a huge fan of Garmin gear. I do think it was the best option in that small size range, but I don't exactly love the user interface and it failed completely once on me (replaced under warranty by my vendor). I've had mixed results with other small Garmin hand-held units as well. On their larger units, I tend to steer clear as then I get into a lot of better competitors such as the Raymarine gear I use on my Carver.