PDA

View Full Version : Volvo drive shower?

BubbleBee
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I have shower laying around my shop im thinking of modding so it will fit the Volvo set up. is it worth it has anyone done it. If not hell ill do it
-Mike

mattyboy
06-25-2010, 12:13 PM
don't think it will make a difference, the volvo is pretty strong and doesn't seem to be as sensitive to heat as the mercs, then there is the hole loosing a mph or 2 thingy

BubbleBee
06-25-2010, 03:24 PM
MPH or 2 no biggie over the winter going to built some good power for it. Just wondering if it would be better off with it thats all.
Mike

MOP
06-25-2010, 08:57 PM
The secret behind the Volvos drive longevity is two fold, better quality and the oil pump that circulates the oil keeping the drives much cooler then most others. IE no need for a shower!

Phil

mrfixxall
06-25-2010, 09:05 PM
if you put 30w in it then you wont need it, the 30 w circulates faster and cools faster.. if you used 80w90 then put it on because the oil pump in the lower moves it slower and because of the thicker oil it stays hotter longer...

another thing to keep in mind,thicker lube robbs more power :)

Planetwarmer
06-26-2010, 01:22 AM
if you put 30w in it then you wont need it, the 30 w circulates faster and cools faster.. if you used 80w90 then put it on because the oil pump in the lower moves it slower and because of the thicker oil it stays hotter longer...

another thing to keep in mind,thicker lube robbs more power :)
Is this technique only for volvos?

mattyboy
06-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Is this technique only for volvos?
to my knowledge the old volvos are they only drives that can use motor oil as a lubricant.

Bee, also take into account that the water passages (as long as they are not sealed up like for a nose cone) for raw water run up thru the drive too and help too. if you do go with a shower concentrate on the top sides and the front the shift cover is just a big hole no need to direct water there

wonder how long an alpha would run on 30w behind decent power?? my bet would be somewhere between how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop and watching the godfather trilogy commercial free nonstop ;)