PDA

View Full Version : Volvo DPX drives

Tony
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
A short while ago someone was asking about alternate outdrive choices for our classic Donzis.
Here are some DPX's, brand new and reasonable priced;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150459759720&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

:shark:

Donzi Vol
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I think that was me. I was curious about the new Volvo drives since I'm so impressed with the 40 year old 270 that's still turning on the back of my boat.

These are at a good price, but unfortunately I'm not in the market right at the moment. Thanks for posting, Tony.

MOP
06-25-2010, 04:46 AM
Deal of the century! Timing seems to always be off when a rocket deal like this comes along this will be a major home run for someone!

maddad
06-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm drooling. Do they handle big power? Do they look good painted white?

Tony
06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
They are rated to handle 600 hp.
A guy on OSO races a custom deep vee called the "Batboat" and apparently it rocks.

HOWARD O
06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Not a DPX, but I had a DP-S duoprop on my Albemarle. It was a fantastic outdrive.

Tony
06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Somebody used the "Buy It Now" option and the drives are gone.
Anybody here the proud new owner?

yeller
06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Somebody used the "Buy It Now" option and the drives are gone.
Anybody here the proud new owner?

:shark:If I had seen this thread yesterday, it would have been me.............but it's not. :garfield:

mc donzi
06-26-2010, 06:33 AM
I have the same package as Tony- a 385HP DPX in a 2000 22C. Love the package, hate the shifter. Docking can be an adventure!!

Consequently, I'm considering a Dana side mount 2 arm shifter. I need to know what shifter cables Volvo used in this application. The tech guys at Dana say that 33 series cables(Morse or Teleflex) will work but most others are not compatible.

Need your help.

Thanks,

Dave

Pismo
06-26-2010, 08:44 AM
1.68 and 1.78 drives. Do they make a 1.5ish drive?

tmh
06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I impulsively submitted a buy it now bid last night but I'm not clear which drive I would be buying and what is the difference between a DPX, DPX-R, or DPX S1. I'd sent emails yesterday to the seller but didn't get a response. Please enlighten me. It seems like a potentially good deal if it turns out I'm buying what I think I'm buying. Please don't hesitate to tell me the good, bad , and ugly of my impulsive action. I assume gear ratios can be changed if need be. What is the better ratio for my 18c 350/300 MPI? I assume I'll drive there to pay and pick it up if all goes as planned.
T.M. Hayes

mc donzi
06-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I just had another look at the E Bay ad. I don't see any hydraulic steering cylinders. Hope they are part of the deal.

mrfixxall
06-26-2010, 12:01 PM
the way it was worded it could have gone either way all or one.. watch, their may be a pissing match because the buyer may have thought it was for all 3 + the gimbal..

Carbo
06-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I impulsively submitted a buy it now bid last night but I'm not clear which drive I would be buying and what is the difference between a DPX, DPX-R, or DPX S1. I'd sent emails yesterday to the seller but didn't get a response. Please enlighten me. It seems like a potentially good deal if it turns out I'm buying what I think I'm buying. Please don't hesitate to tell me the good, bad , and ugly of my impulsive action. I assume gear ratios can be changed if need be. What is the better ratio for my 18c 350/300 MPI? I assume I'll drive there to pay and pick it up if all goes as planned.
T.M. Hayes

Be careful.....when the eBay add says paypal you "may" not have the option to inspect and pay. And if it does not say local pickup ok you may be forced to pay $300 and await shipment.....after you have paid with Paypal as stated in the auction. Some sellers may work with you and some may say "pay me" and I will ship. Any doubt and you should contact the seller and ask before buying......just my experience.

AND....he has 1 deal on eBay 4 years ago and no other listings........do not under any circumstances western union or bank transfer any money. Credit card w/ paypal or cash on pick up only.....do not accept any excuses why you need to use any other form of payment.

BUIZILLA
06-26-2010, 03:43 PM
don't I see the short steering cylinders sticking up in the front?

TXDONZI
06-26-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't see the steering or tilt cylinders there.

gcarter
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't know a lot about Volvo outdrives, but my BIL's boat has a drive similar to this one.
The trim cylinders are about 3" long and buried in the gimbal bracket on his. If this is similar, you wouldn't be able to see them in these pictures.

tmh
06-27-2010, 08:05 AM
I realize it's the weekend but I haven't heard from the seller yet. I'm assuming he has 3 DPX units and I take my choice. If that is the case what are the differences and is one more desirable for an 18C application? I am willing to drive to Virginia from Naples to inspect and verify the unit, pay with Paypal, and hopefully see it shipped if the $300 shipping is enforced. Otherwise, will it fit in the back of a Dodge Durango or do I need to rent a minvan of some type? I hope this potential deal doesn't fall apart. Any and all feedback is welcome.
T.M. Hayes

Tony
06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
You can definitely fit one in the back of a Durango, or even three as someone (tongue-in-cheek) suggested.

I have a poster at home that pictures the history of volvo outdrives, with each model shown in chronological order. Someone, at one time, listed a link to the poster, but I cannot find it.

I could real easily be wrong, but I believe the DPX, DPX-R, and DPX-S are the 3-5 year evolution of the drive. Trouble is, I don't know how they differed. My boat is a '96 22' classic and the drive came on it stock. I believe they were made between '95 and '00.

Propsets are very pricey. $1200 new, but sometimes showing up on ebay or elsewhere for $400 - $800.
I, also, do not see the steering trim rams, so that can hopefully be resolved.

Keep us posted as to where you are at on this deal...

TXDONZI
06-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I got these three responces from the seller when I inquired about a transom shield.....

"There are 3 different drives.You are bidding on any one of the drives You can have your pick or I have match for each. If I sell more than one I need to increase my money to ebay.
Emmett 757-617-4277"

"What is included is any drive of your choice. You pick which one. The title says outdrive that is why I did not put an s on it If you want more than on I will owE-bay additional money. I do have a couple of transome sheilds.WHat do you need?"

"I do have 2 transome sheilds. I am new to this e-bay stuff and did not know how to list everything seperately. I even have more drives that have the same gear ratios and motors that were listed last week.

What do you need?

Emmett 757-617-4277"

tmh
06-28-2010, 09:21 AM
I'll believe it if and when it all comes together. I spoke with the seller and he apparently bought the drives, transom assemblies, and some 8.1 engines in bulk. The seller indicated he could not sell the drives until 12 months after his purchase which sounds screwy but plausible, and the seller does not sound like he is trying to scam anyone. The seller doesn't know about Volvo drives and says he simply bought everything believing it was a bargain price and could make a quick profit. The engines are apparently very low hours but not new. The drives are supposed to be new in the box but with no warranty. I'm supposed to get my pick and I'm waiting for him to tell me if he has a DPX-R in the 1.68 ratio. I will then find out which transom assembly will work based on a Volvo Penta guy Mike "Mr. Fixall" connected me with. The transom assembly will be another $1200 on top of the $3400 for the drive. I will jump in the car to meet the seller this weekend when he gets back from being out of town and I can pay cash, if all goes as planned. Any advice is welcome as this is an impulsive move on my part and I hope there isn't a big surprise as things unfold.
T.M.

Forrest
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Portsmouth, VA. He could have bought them from a military auction around there with a contractual stipulation.

You should be good with the 1.68. Unlike a single prop, where you know you want a 1.50 ratio, you gear these drives around the props available, rather than prop around gear set.

Only three prop sets are available:

e2 - lowest pitch
e3 - mid pitch
e4 - highest pitch

I run e2 props on my twin 1.59 ratio DPX-A drives / 383 strokers pushing my Magnum 27 Sport, and I could really use a set of e1 props if they existed.

A home equity loan is necessary to perform a gear-set change. Luckily, the props can be reworked - but only slightly.

At one time, I had multiple sets of every size.

You should see about 400 - 600 RPM difference between each size depending on variables.

DO NOT BUY ANY e-series prop set prior to trying some size for a base line. The slip is so low on these drives, that it defies conventional thinking when it comes to prop selection.

gcarter
06-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Portsmouth, VA. He could have bought them from a military auction around there with a contractual stipulation.

You should be good with the 1.68. Unlike a single prop, where you know you want a 1.50 ratio, you gear these drives around the props available, rather than prop around gear set.

Only three prop sets are available:

e2 - lowest pitch
e3 - mid pitch
e4 - highest pitch

I run e2 props on my twin 1.59 ratio DPX-A drives / 383 strokers pushing my Magnum 27 Sport, and I could really use a set of e1 props if they existed.

A home equity loan is necessary to perform a gear-set change. Luckily, the props can be reworked - but only slightly.

At one time, I had multiple sets of every size.

You should see about 400 - 600 RPM difference between each size depending on variables.

DO NOT BUY ANY e-series prop set prior to trying some size for a base line. The slip is so low on these drives, that it defies conventional thinking when it comes to prop selection.

This sounds like really good input!

+2

MOP
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Once you shake out all the dust and get it up and running it will put one heck of a grin on your face, plus knowing the black grenade is gone also helps!

Tony
06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Below is a link to the poster I was referring to. It lists all three types of DPX drives, but not too much detail about how they differ. (Thanks to penbroke for finding it!)
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56988&d=1277730100

Go to page 7 of this PDF to look at the different ratios, and what speed range the propsets are designed for. My gear ratio is 1:1.78 and is stamped on the rear hub right above the propshaft.
http://www.powerproductsystems.com/volvo-prop-guide.asp

Interestingly, with my 385 propshaft hp and 1.78 ratio, the approximate top speed is just about what I get...75mph. With the 1.68 and the same props the top speed is about 80, and with the 1.59 the top speed is alleged to be around 85. If you could tweak your engine to achieve similar power you would be flying, with excellent control to boot.

Did you ask about the steering rams? I haven't needed any parts yet, but I am betting that they are pretty expensive. For instance, the steering cylinders (Volvo Penta part # 3861556) are $375 each.

Another thought, if you've got some extra discretionary cash to invest, would be to offer him some lesser amount and snatch two drives and transom assemblies. Install one, post your results, and you can just about bet that someone else would be interested in buying your second outdrive. Remember, these things were very pricey when new.

By the way, they are back on ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150459759720&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

tmh
06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I'll keep updating my status in hopes that someone may have a suggestion that helps me through the unknowns of this adventure. I'm still in limbo trying to determine whether he has an R drive in the 1.68 ratio. Apparently the 1.78 ratio will work but it looks like the 1.68 may have higher speed capabilities with available prop sizes. Apparently the transom assemblies are for DPX-A drives and won't work on the drive numbers he has listed and will not work on an R drive, based on the Volvo guy who has been helping me. I was also told the part numbers he has listed on his Ebay ad are for DPX-A drives and to stay away from the DPX A drives as they had problems with them and supposedly only made a small number of the drives.

I'm still hoping to get a part number from the seller for the R drives to find out from the Volvo guy what it takes to get a transom assembly. Getting the drive for a bargain price may still be an expensive proposition if I have to buy the other bits to have a complete unit. I still have major concerns whether this will come together.
T.M. Hayes

MOP
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
The reasoning behind going as low as you can on ratio is available "stock" props, you having an 18 will be able to spin some of the steeper pitches. If you get one of the drives near 2:0 you will not be able to get a high enough pitched prop to be useful. Your 300hp 18 may equate close to a 385 22 in useful pitch, you need to try a high pitch set then if needed work down, with a rev limiter it is easier to start high and go down. You boat will bounce on the limiter @ 5,050, IMO if you can come in around 46-4800 WOT that will be a home run for what you want out of the boat. You will have a very good bottom end and a nice cruise, you will also be able to get a pair of slalom skiers up with ease.

Forrest
06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
. . . stay away from the DPX A drives as they had problems with them and supposedly only made a small number of the drives . . .

That's flat-out incorrect. DPX-A drives were the latest model of DPX drives built and had no more or less problem than other DPX drives. The fact is, all DPX dives are extremely durable any you should expect the highest level of reliability from any DPX drive. Also, you will find that many Ocke Mannerfelt "One Design" race boats (http://www.ocke.se/onedesign/4_browser/index.html) use DPX-A drives. Anyway, those DPX drives shown in the eBay auction are not DPX-A. DPX-A drives look like the drives shown in these pictures:

Forrest
06-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Also, I may be mistaken, but don't see why the different models of DPX drives will not interchange with any DPX transom assembly since all DPX models interchange most parts. The DPX-A does have a different cover and upper gearcase housing design though. My advice is that while you are in Portsmouth inspecting the parts, see if everything fits together.

Also remember, you will need a number of other parts to make a DPX conversion happen. For that reason, make sure that you get with the transom or elsewhere the following:

Right + Left steering rams and hoses
Power steering pump and remote reservoir
Power steering cooler
Danfoss or Char-Lynn helm unit (must be of correct size for single app)
Power steering hose set (inside boat)
Bell housing
Inside transom reinforcement pieces
All OEM nuts, bolts, specialized fasteners, and small parts (this stuff can add up and you must buy it from Volvo-Penta)
Purchase NEW Volvo-Penta brand bellows and doughnut seal. DO NOT buy aftermarket parts here!
. . . and whatever else I can't remember now.

gcarter
06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Forrest, won't the GM/Merc PS pump work w/the addition of a reservoir?

I can give some reccomendations for the Char-Lynn helm depending on the
cylinder displacement.

Hoses etc. would be required for any external twin cylinder steering setup.

tmh
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Based on more phone calls I have been told the part numbers listed on the Ebay ad are for DPX A drives in 1.68 an1.78 ratios and the transom assemblies are for DPC/DPD drives and DPG/DPE drives. The list price on the transom assemblies in the Ebay ad was $4k plus and the seller wants $1200 for the transom assemblies. The list price on the drives is $20,995. The pictures in the Ebay ad appear to be for DPX R or DPX S drives. I was told by 2 Volvo guys that there were problems with the DPX A drives. I called the guy back and he repeated that there were problems with the drives in front of big power 8.1 engines. The DPX drives reportedly had more problems than other Volvo drives but I was told they are faster than a DPE drive. The Volvo parts guys had no idea whether the transom assemblies from the Ebay guy could be made to work on DPX A, DPX R, or DPX S drives. If I remember correctly the Volvo guy told me the difference between DPX R drives is that the R has hardened gear sets in them.

The seller is out of town untill tomorrow and he is then supposed to provide me the part number(s) for the DPX R drives he has. I'm supposed to have first choice for the drive I want. I intend to drive to Virginia to pay in cash and put the drive in the truck. I'm inclined to purchase a DPX R in the 1.68 ratio if he has one in that ratio. If he only has the DPX A in the 1.68 would you buy that or go with a DPX-R in a 1.78 ratio. Volvo no longer lists the transom shield for DPX R drives but I know where I can find one.

Buying a used transom assembly, steering, and a bellhousing looks like I can spend another $3-4k so I'm really choking on whether this is the deal I thought it was. I'm a working stiff with limited resources and unlimited wants! I question whether I should bail on this or if it is worth all the trouble. I can get out of the auction if I want as a result of his ad stating that the transom assembly was part of the price. If I'd pick up 3-5 mph with better handling, a bullet proof package, and the boat is worth a bit more, it seems like it could be worth the effort but I'm questioning whether my expectations may be too high. I'd have to stick the drive in the corner until I recover financially and can afford to buy the other parts. Please feel free to offer your thoughts.
T.M. Hayes

BUIZILLA
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
why not go with a BIII instead with the new race series BIII props?

Forrest
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Forrest, won't the GM/Merc PS pump work w/the addition of a reservoir?

I can give some reccomendations for the Char-Lynn helm depending on the
cylinder displacement.

Hoses etc. would be required for any external twin cylinder steering setup.

George, the GM/Merc pump should work just fine, but the OEM Volvo-Penta setup is a ZF pump/reservoir setup. I'm just saying in the above post to TMH, is to try to get as much of this stuff as you can when you purchase the drive and transom, because it gets expensive very quickly collecting all the small stuff. Right now, I forget what CC Char-Lynn helm I'm running, but since I running twins, it should equate to about half ot that for a single.

Also, the so-call DPX failures that TMH's buddies mentioned were probably the well documented DPX failures from people mounting DPX drives too high on the transom creating a surfacing prop condition. The DPX was never designed to run a s surfacing drive like the Blackhawk, but people did it anyway. When mounted too high, certain vibration dynamics occur which causes gear-set and propeller failures. DPX drives must be mounted in all applications to run submerged propellers.

Again, don't worry about which DPX drive you get - they are all good and extremely durable. Most DPX drives were used in high-speed diesel applications in Europe in addition to the fully-warranted 540-CID DPX600 (early models used DPX-R, late models used DPX-A) that was built by Innovation in Sarasota. Besides, you will never push it anywhere close to it limits in an 18 Donzi, or for that matter, even in a 22 with any amount of usable power you can come up with. The biggest downfall with the DPX for an 18 is that it is fairly heavy and the additional parasitic losses associated with any duo-prop setup.

Good luck with your project.

tmh
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
The adventure continues. I've found a great used transom assembly for a DPX-R including steering rams that the guy will trade for one of the Ebay transom assemblies the seller listed. The Ebay auction I won clearly stated drive and transom assembly but the seller maintains that the transom assembly was seperate. I will now have to see if I can twist the sellers arm to throw in the transom assembly as I believe I will prevail in a dispute, but that doesn't mean the seller will honor the sale. If I ultimatley can get the drive and the used transom assembly with steering rams for $4k after all is done I will be happy with this project.

I have now heard from 3 Volvo shops that the DPX drives are not the bullet proof drives Volvo is known for, but pushing an 18 with 300hp (or even 375hp down the road) should be a relatively easy load for the drive. I was told by one Volvo shop to stay away from the DPX-A and another Volvo shop said to consider the DPX-A over an R as the R's are rare to find if there are problems. I've also been told the DPX will be a bit faster than a Bravo 3 but this is all word of mouth rather than verifiable testing. I'm still going to stick with the R assuming the hardened gears will make the unit more durable. Advice is always welcome as this is all new to me.
T.M. Hayes

cutwater
07-01-2010, 02:36 PM
The ad clearly lists the transom assembly. What's the question here? I'd be hesitant to deal with this guy the way things are going.

Ghost
07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
The ad clearly lists the transom assembly. What's the question here? I'd be hesitant to deal with this guy the way things are going.

Ditto that. The ad ABSOLUTELY said the transom assembly was included. It looks to me like he edited/relisted ad CHANGED this.

No nonsense about not knowing how to manage the technical aspects of eBay will wash. The ENGLISH in the ad said a transom assembly was included.

This is FRAUD, pure and simple.

When I bid on anything on eBay, I usually screenshot the ad when I start, in case anything funny happens.

Good luck.

Mike

BUIZILLA
07-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Ditto that. The ad ABSOLUTELY said the transom assembly was included. I read it the same way, that's EXACTLY what it said... the guys a con..

tmh
07-02-2010, 07:59 AM
We'll see what happens as I haven't paid anything yet. I do believe he has a bunch of drives and talking to him he bought a bunch of stuff he knows nothing about. I'm hoping to get him to honor the Ebay sale as described but he may simply not honor the sale and tell me to file a dispute that would simply result in negative feedback. So far I haven't gotten the impression the guy is intentionally being dishonest or that this is a scam.

If I can ultimately drive away with a new in the box DPX-R drive and a transom assembly that I can trade for the one I need for $3400 it will be worth the effort and cost. I have learned a little in the process if this doesn't work out.

I was hoping to drive up there today or over the weekend but I want actual serial numbers and matching part numbers before going further. Instead, we'll take the boat out today and I'll find out if the new set of spark plugs (NGK BPR6EFS) will push the engine to achieving peak RPM.
T.M. Hayes

Forrest
07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I too would bail out of that deal. SNAD= Significantly Not As Advertized.

Anyway, I really hate to see all this mis-information posted on this thread about the different models of the DPX drive - some models being good and some to avoid.

Here is the deal on the gear sets uses in the different DPX models. Both the DPX-R and the DPX-A use the exact same gear sets - same part numbers for both the upper and lower sets. End of discussion there.

However, the older DPX-S and DPX-S1 used a different part number gear-set in the lower unit than the DPX-A and DPX-R.

ALL DPX drives use the same upper gear-set.

My guess is that all DPX drive gears are hardened in some way shape or form, rather than just machined castings. After all, these are very expensive drives with very expensive gear-sets that can handle tremendous amounts of torque.

All DPX drives use the same part-number transom-plate assembly. There is a possibility that some smaller parts on the transom assembly are not the same between the models.

If you think that I'm blowing a bunch of smoke, then check for yourself at:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/

TXDONZI
07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Well has he came through yet? I need a transom shield but want to see what happens here.....

tmh
07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm supposed to pick up a new 1.68 DPX-R drive and the transom shield assembly that doesn't fit the DPX-R (fits a DPG or DPE) a week from Monday in Virginia. I have a Volvo rebuilder shop that has a complete correct transom shield for a DPX-R that will trade for the new transom shield. The Volvo shop indicates they'll make me a deal for the helm steering and all the bits and pieces to make this work for $800 which doesn't sound bad but I haven't shopped prices for the helm steering to know if that's a good price. I'm now waiting to see what happens.
T.M. Hayes

gcarter
07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm supposed to pick up a new 1.68 DPX-R drive and the transom shield assembly that doesn't fit the DPX-R (fits a DPG or DPE) a week from Monday in Virginia. I have a Volvo rebuilder shop that has a complete correct transom shield for a DPX-R that will trade for the new transom shield. The Volvo shop indicates they'll make me a deal for the helm steering and all the bits and pieces to make this work for $800 which doesn't sound bad but I haven't shopped prices for the helm steering to know if that's a good price. I'm now waiting to see what happens.
T.M. Hayes

That sounds like a reasonable price.

tmh
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Here's the latest on my Volvo conversion. I'll include cost information seeing that I'm a CPA and I'm choking on how much money I'm spending. I drove to Virginia and bought a new 1.68 DPX-R for $3400. I'm almost tempted to buy the other DPX-R he has but I hope this lasts a long time. The transom assemblies he had were not for this drive so I found a very good condition used transom assembly for $1500 which includes hydraulic steering and bell housing. There is almost another $900 in miscellaneous Volvo hardware and parts such as zinc electrodes, plates, hoses, pins, etc. I hope I don't have to make three trips to the hardware store each day like it seems I do for the simplest project.

A benefit to this conversion is getting hydraulic steering as part of the conversion. Should I stick with a new helm steering unit from Volvo for $1200 or is there something cheaper that will work as well? I also would appreciate advice on what type of water pump and bracket assembly works well with a 350/300 MPI Merc seeing that my drive is an Alpha 2. I figure this will be another $400. My last question is whether my existing trim pump will work on the Volvo.

I should be able to get some money back from selling the Alpha and transom assembly. I'll then need to see if I can find some props to try.

The DPX drive looks fairly compact and the bullet is smaller than the Alpha. I need to set the Volvo next to the Alpha for a side by side comparison. I'll post some pictures when I get the camera working.

I need to check my current speed with the Alpha 2 using GPS for a baseline as I hope I pick up some speed when this is all done. The boat is running very nice as it is so I'm hoping this will be worth the trouble. I'll at least learn something about the boat busting my nuckles and cutting my hands. I'm much better with accounting than I am with mechanical repairs and I'm sure I'll have to call in a real mechanic to straighten me out at times. I wonder how much I'll spend buying various tools and supplies during this project. Any advice is truly appreciated
T.M. Hayes

MOP
07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Use the Johnson crank driven pump, make sure you ask for the small block model. I mistakenly bought the big block model and have to much pressure, on a raw cooled engine you may blow head gaskets without a pressure relief valve. There are a few helms that should do the job better price than Volvo, I am sure some of the guys will chime in with ideas on that.

Phil

mrfixxall
07-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Use the Johnson crank driven pump, make sure you ask for the small block model. I mistakenly bought the big block model and have to much pressure, on a raw cooled engine you may blow head gaskets without a pressure relief valve. There are a few helms that should do the job better price than Volvo, I am sure some of the guys will chime in with ideas on that.

Phil

mop i have a older (late 80's) wp from a sbc volvo,do you think it will work for him??

MOP
07-22-2010, 06:26 AM
mop i have a older (late 80's) wp from a sbc volvo,do you think it will work for him??

Sure will! I would not bother taking my new BB pump off but would rather have the one you have.

Phil

tmh
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there a replaceable impeller type device in these water pumps? I think of a water pump on car engines as being $100 units that are replaced as maitenance items and never reused. Thanks!
T.M. Hayes

MOP
07-23-2010, 05:54 AM
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there a replaceable impeller type device in these water pumps? I think of a water pump on car engines as being $100 units that are replaced as maitenance items and never reused. Thanks!
T.M. Hayes

Yes they are also the simplest pumps to work on, just remove the cover screws take two long nose pliers and pull the impeller. To install the new impeller lube the housing ans shaft turn the impeller counter clockwise as you split it in, it will go in about 3/8" then the spline will catch and you can push it it the rest of the way. Before you put the cover back on verify the all the vanes stayed in the correct direction, I have done a lot of these pumps being a Volvo tech and screwed my own up this spring!!!!! DO OVER!!!

Phil