PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Top Speed on a 22' classic

Tyler22classic
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
What is the fastest claimed top speed of a 22' classic?

glashole
06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
stock or the fastest we all know of?

axelkloehn
06-23-2010, 12:56 PM
michibesler did 85.6 mph (gps) in his whipple charged 22" shelby this month

mrfixxall
06-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I think mr x is braking a tad over 100 mph?????????????????????????

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 01:48 PM
ITTILFLI runs some big numbers with his 540 and blackhawk combo. Maybe 90 or so.

Mr X has the fastest combo that I have heard about on the 22.

Carl C
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Mr. X for sure. I've had mine up to 85.8. Ittilfly is faster. The "flowerpot" is probably faster as are at least a few others.

Tom Davis
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I think that Jim Denooyer's 22 special eddition with twin turbo was doing triple digits + the last time I was talking to him about props at Lake George and that was a few years ago...

fysis
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Mr. X for sure. I've had mine up to 85.8. Ittilfly is faster. The "flowerpot" is probably faster as are at least a few others. Carl is it possible to verify the speed or get in contact with one of thoose guys i just love speed records. (ps i got the official Swedish landspeed record for cars sat in 1998 199mph. in my homebuilt streetdriven De Tomaso Pantera 509 Big alum,Chevy. Took the car ower to Bonneville salt flats in 2003 to bee the first swede to brake the 200mph barrier Over there , run 222mph which is still the record for swedes over there.)Just litle of my bakground. Right now the focus are on fast 22:s because the boats are plain beautiful and fun to drive Bjorn Carapi Sweden:sweden:

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I think that Jim Denooyer's 22 special eddition with twin turbo was doing triple digits + the last time I was talking to him about props at Lake George and that was a few years ago...

Was that a Blackhawk drive?

Carl C
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Carl is it possible to verify the speed or get in contact with one of thoose guys i just love speed records. (ps i got the official Swedish landspeed record for cars sat in 1998 199mph. in my homebuilt streetdriven De Tomaso Pantera 509 Big alum,Chevy. Took the car ower to Bonneville salt flats in 2003 to bee the first swede to brake the 200mph barrier Over there , run 222mph which is still the record for swedes over there.)Just litle of my bakground. Right now the focus are on fast 22:s because the boats are plain beautiful and fun to drive Bjorn Carapi Sweden:sweden:

Mr. X is hard to contact. His PM is blocked. You could try a "shout-out" thread. I'd like to hear an update on his Ilmor 22 that has run WELL over 100. Some others like to sandbag a bit so they may not come clean. I can tell you that there are plenty of 22 Classics that run well into the 80s and do so safely.....Well, safely as long as you have some seat time in these boats:eek:. Here is an interesting thread from Speedwake about fast, small IO Vees: http://www.speedwake.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27967 Of course not everyone posts there. I am CC there and Ittilfly is on the list. You went 222 mph on the salt flats:shocking:. Congrats.

mrfixxall
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM

in this trend is said he broke 90-- God bless him for picking up 10 + mph a year later :)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57553

gcarter
06-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Let's not forget catch22 (Jim Collins) owns a '95 22C w/a 454 Magnum and a blower that goes 94 MPH, and will do 90 at will.
He's been doing this for over 5 years. It's the most effortless running boat I'm familiar with.

Carl C
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I really thought that Mr. X had said that he went in the neighborhood of 110 but the only post I can find says 103. Where the heck is he anyway? We need an update on the boat.......

MOP
06-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Hope the vid loads!!! It is Ted @ 105 several years back in his old boat.

Ed Donnelly
06-23-2010, 09:27 PM
fysis; The front end must have been getting a little light at that speed.

My 72 had a twin overhead cam with nox pushing 700 h.p.

My Criterion SS with the Gale Banks twin turbo could hit a 100 but downright scary and it was a 1 sec thing.. With the dual hydraulic steering, K-Planes
it would have handled a little better...........Ed

RedDog
06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Whats with all the new guys posting on 22 speeds? Step in (up) slowly guys. 80+ in a 22 can be hazardous until the setup and skills are all in order. I'm no where close but recognize that.

Cuda
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Let's not forget catch22 (Jim Collins) owns a '95 22C w/a 454 Magnum and a blower that goes 94 MPH, and will do 90 at will.
He's been doing this for over 5 years. It's the most effortless running boat I'm familiar with.
I call Catch's boat a Junior Achiever motor. It hauls for a 454. He know the only I'll get in it is if his mom is riding. Gina and Catch Sr aren't any help. Catch Sr is just like Jimmy. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

CaribouLou
06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Mine did 100+ yesterday on the way home behind my buddies 600hp S/C F150 Harley passing 4 semis :wink:

catch 22
06-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I call Catch's boat a Junior Achiever motor. It hauls for a 454. He know the only I'll get in it is if his mom is riding. Gina and Catch Sr aren't any help. Catch Sr is just like Jimmy. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Joe, why are you calling me a fruit? You know I won't go over 30mph with you in the boat. :)

fysis
06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
HI ED . when i started to take the Pantera to higher speeds +200mph i made some Special sensors for it to measure how many pounds that came of it at various speeds the lifting force was not a major factor .Of coarse i had the air through a special hood and so forth.Unfoutunatilly my friend spun it at Bonneville so we couldnĀ“t try some stuff i had up my sleeve. but the 222 was on the short track (3 mile) over there so topp speed at the finish line was cloose to 335mph the 222 is a average for the last mile where the car stil acceelerated. Nice to have pantera owners among the Donzis. :sweden:

onesubdrvr
06-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Joe, why are you calling me a fruit? You know I won't go over 30mph with you in the boat. :)
Whoo, what?!?!?

You got him in your boat?? :shocking:

The wonders will never cease lol :lookaroun:

Wayne

Cuda
06-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Sell it to the Russians, I ain't buyin'.:)

Cuda
06-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Whoo, what?!?!?

You got him in your boat?? :shocking:

The wonders will never cease lol :lookaroun:

Wayne
Once at the Hometown Rally. Jimmy was well behaved because he didn't know me. He also didn't know it would be the only time I'd get in his boat.:)

onesubdrvr
06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Once at the Hometown Rally. Jimmy was well behaved because he didn't know me. He also didn't know it would be the only time I'd get in his boat.:)
LOL,...

well, I know how you are about these things, and when I get the 16 done, you'll be welcome to drive it,.... promise you won't have to rely on my driving :eek: lol

Wayne

catch 22
06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Sell it to the Russians, I ain't buyin'.:)
:lol9::lol9::lol9::lol9::lol9:

Cuda
06-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm a bad rider, and I know it. I don't even like to ride in a car that I'm not driving.

Tony
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
The first post for "fast22classic" asked about the fastest classics attending the Lake George Spring Dustoff. Guys carefully replied that all Donzis in attendance went 45mph.

Now a newbie named "Tyler22classic" inquires about fast 22's, and guys are gushing and bragging right and left. Isn't there a possibility that this is the same new guy fishing for evidence supporting the group that opposes the Lake George events?

I'm just asking...

:shark:

Planetwarmer
06-26-2010, 01:27 AM
The first post for "fast22classic" asked about the fastest classics attending the Lake George Spring Dustoff. Guys carefully replied that all Donzis in attendance went 45mph.

Now a newbie named "Tyler22classic" inquires about fast 22's, and guys are gushing and bragging right and left. Isn't there a possibility that this is the same new guy fishing for evidence supporting the group that opposes the Lake George events?

I'm just asking...

FYI, none of the owners of these boats that posted to Tyler22classic's thread will be attending this event. There are plenty of fast boats out there. I just brought home a 170 MPH 44 foot MTI with warmed over 1200s. It wont be there either.

Cuda
06-26-2010, 09:36 AM

I'm just asking...

Huh?

Did you shoot JFK too?

I'm just saying................

Carl C
06-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm just asking...

It IS interesting....:hangum: Both new members claim to be from Michigan and do landscaping. Why register twice?? BTW, I've never been on Lake George and boat on the Great Lakes where there is NO speed limit. So......BACK OFF!!

Cuda
06-26-2010, 11:11 AM
It IS interesting....:hangum: Both new members claim to be from Michigan and do landscaping. Why register twice?? BTW, I've never been on Lake George and boat on the Great Lakes where there is NO speed limit. So......BACK OFF!!
In Florida we have the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico with no speed limits. There are no speed limits on the big bays or some of the larger lakes. On the St John's River, where I live, there's a 30 mph speed limit until you get to one of the wide spots in the river that they call lakes. Lake George (second largest lake in the state) is about 20 miles south, and Lake Monroe is about 20 miles north.