PDA

View Full Version : Donzi newbie

88ragazza
06-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Hello all. I just purchased a 1988 Raggaza 21' bowrider with the 4.3 OMC with the 4 barrel carb. She's going to need a little bit of TLC. I've got a few questions for the more experienced owners out there.

What should I use on the hull to get her to shine? She's a little faded.

Where do I get the "DONZI" letters that go on the sides of the hull at the rear?

I would like to add a extended swim platform. Does anyone have any particular manufacturer that is familiar with this hull?

She has anti fouling paint on her that is chipping and peeling. Is it better to repaint or remove it somehow? She will only be used on the weekends and not kept in the water so I don't think the paint is necessary for me.

Where can I get the circuit breakers that are on the instrument panel? It's missing one and I would like to get some spares.

Thanks in advance for any help and I will post some pics as soon as I can.

DonziJon
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
She has some bottom paint on her that is chipping and peeling. Is it better to repaint or remove it somehow? She will only be used on the weekends and not kept in the water so I don't think the paint is necessary for me.

Chipping and peeling bottom paint must be removed entirely. There are chemicals available that can be used for this. Make sure they are compatible with fiberglass.

I prefer 100 Grit Wet/Dry sandpaper used WET. Be sure to wear kitchen type rubber gloves or the paper will take the skin off your fingers.

Do you know if the bottom paint was for use in salt or fresh water. Salt water "Anti fowling" bottom paint comes in both Hard and Soft varieties. The Soft paint will come off pretty easy with the 100 Grit.

What you find after you get the paint off will determine whether you need to paint it again. Sand it right down to the gelcoat. Some times you may find hairline crazing which still retains old paint and will be unsightly and will require repainting with a Non Anti fowling (boat is trailered) paint to cover up the crazing.

If the gelcoat is in good shape, follow the 100 grit with sucessive finer grades of wet/dry until the surface is as smooth as you want.

88ragazza
06-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the tips on the bottom paint. As far as I know, the boat has never seen salt water. Looks I have a small project to clean that off.

Donzi Vol
07-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Welcome aboard! Glad to have another in the Donzi family.

Try finding the lettering on ebay. Not neccessarily from the factory, but some seem to scoot around on there quite often.

All the best,
David

88ragazza
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
So I've doing some searching and have found what seems to be the best solution to my anti fouling paint. Has anyone tried using baking soda blasting on their boat and what are your thoughts? Looked at videos and it looks like it works it really well. I got a quote of $250-$400 to do it.

Have tried contacting Donzi parts now 4 times with no success. They don't return their emails or phone calls. What kind of business are they running over there anyway? I guess the miniscule amount of money I would be spending on a few parts isn't worth their time.:boggled: Whatever, parts can be had other places.

gcarter
07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Call Jamie @ Lakeside Restorations.
He has a banner ad at the top of the page.
He can help you.