PDA

View Full Version : Donzi/Thunderbird???

Barry Eller
06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I found this on ebay...looks like a Formula Jr to me...:confused:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-Thunderbird-please-read-history-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439fdf7f69QQitemZ29044 5033321QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

VetteLT193
06-23-2010, 10:04 AM
It is a cool story, but one would think if it did that it would have been titled as a Donzi. We do know Aronow did that with the baby so it is possible but doesn't seem like documentation is available.

Regardless, looks like a nice boat.

Tidbart
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
MDZ (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=MDZ) MARYLAND HOMEMADE BOATS

Not exactly sure what this would mean considering HIN were not too popular back in the 60's.

Barry Eller
06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
The auction ends in 4 hours...I copied and pasted the history statement the seller posted.
1965 DONZI / THUNDERBIRD CLASSIC
This boat is titled as a Thunderbird and was built at the Formula plant in Miami which Don Aronow sold to Thunderbird in 1964. Aronow moved across the street and started Donzi. He took the mold for this boat and started building them as Donzis. This is probably one of the first built and is sure to appreciate in value.
I have owned this boat for 9 years and completely restored it. Am selling because I want a new toy and have no more garage space. A partial list of my restoration work is:
1) Ford 289 engine rebuilt with Edelbrock aluminum heads, intake, carb, and cam, M.S.D. ignition, 300+ H.P. with low hours -- runs great.
2) All new controls, cables, hoses, etc.
3) Alpha outdrives rebuilt prior to purchase with stainless prop.
4) Stringers rebuilt and epoxied. Deck was rebuilt prior to purchase.
5) Bright red paint with few stress cracks visible.
6) All new gauges, wiring, 2 sump pumps, stainless steel trim tabs, 32 gallon aluminum fuel tank, M.S.D. ignition.
7) Cockpit rebuilt with beautiful teak deck, dash, and trim.
8) Custom foldable windshields.
9) 5-Star trailer is like new, used for about 200 miles from new.
Note: This boat is advertised elsewhere and this auction may be canceled at any time.