PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a 26zx or 28zx

mtm87tx
06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I am looking for a 26-28 ft donzi in the sub 40k price range and these 2 models seem to fit the bill.

Is there anything I need to look into for preventive maintenance? how many hours before they need a engine/s?

Im really looking for a single 502 boat to cut maintenance and fuel cost if possible

opinions are greatly needed.

mrfixxall
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I am looking for a 26-28 ft donzi in the sub 40k price range and these 2 models seem to fit the bill.

Is there anything I need to look into for preventive maintenance? how many hours before they need a engine/s?

Im really looking for a single 502 boat to cut maintenance and fuel cost if possible

opinions are greatly needed.

think harder!! a twin small block boat would be faster then a single bb unless the bb is built to the hilt,,will probably go through a little bit more fuel but it would be worth it..

DonZi 26
06-23-2010, 04:45 AM
I just bought a 1999 26zx with a single 502 carb....trust me the boat is awesome...im not living in the us right now...im in malta in europe....we run boats in big heavy water here about 5-6ft waves and the boat can handle them easily.

when putting the boat in the water for the first time back in march sea was extremely rough and i was doing about 55mph on gps without any stress on the boat....the boat loves to go fast when its rough as it starts to go airbourne....however the landing will be soft due to the twin step hull....

Dont expect alot of top end out of this boat...keep in mind that it weighs about 5800lbs about 1000lbs heavier than a fountain fever 27...the best i could get out of mine so far was 64mph @ 4600rpm so the boat can go a little faster....maybe 66mph but not more imo. I believe that for a boat so heavy its the best for its class...my buddy has 27fever powered by a stock 502 mpi with cmi headers and he does about 62mph on gps wot @5200rpm....keep in mind that reggie's boats have a narrower beam and are way lighter than donzi's. ALso i think that Donzi's have an overall good performance over the fountain....

i think either way is a good choice whether its a 26 or a 28zx....i think that the 28 is also a fantastic boat as it is built over the 26...they say that it is a 27''7' and the 26 is actually a 26'5'' so only 1'2'' longer....however a 28zx is much more pricy than a 26zx....also regarding maintenance you've got twins sitting under the hood not one so it takes more bucks to keep....as long as its a donZi you won't be disappointed as they are great boats to have....the Ztech hull is amazing!!

WifeHatesMyDonzi
06-23-2010, 05:37 AM
My 1999 26zx with completely factory stock 502mpi/bravo runs 66 on gps.
You should be able to find this boat in the low 30k range.

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
The 26ZX with a 500 EFI will be the best bang for the buck. You don't need built to the hilt to make them run. The combo is kind of hard to find but has been done a number of times.

It will run with a 28ZX twin 350's and burn 87 octane.

I like them both but don't want to get caught up in the single vs twin discussion.:wink::shark:

nionittisexan
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
anyone have a side by side pics of the 26 vs 28ZX ?

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
anyone have a side by side pics of the 26 vs 28ZX ?

They are the same except the 28ZX has about 16" more in the bow. It looks like a bigger boat. The running surfaces are pretty much the same.

FISHIN SUCKS
06-23-2010, 08:56 PM
We love our 28ZX with the twins (pic below with the red/black stripes)! I also love Bill's aka Hedgehog (pic below w/the checkerboard 26ZX). We had originally looked at the 26 when moving up from our '91 24' Donzi Blackwidow. We were persuaded into going with twins for fuel efficiency reasons and handling plus added room in the cuddy. I cannot say the exact differences for fuel efficiency between the 26 and the 28, but I can say this:

28'ZX, twin 350's, top speed 72, 95 mile round trip = 35 gallons

24'BW, sgl 454 (+.030), tp spd 64, 95 mile rnd trip = 42 gallons

One other thing that may or may not make a hill of beans to you, I love the longer deck........we tend to stand up there when rafted off for partying purposes and it is great!!!

I agree with many of the comments above, these are great boats and run better (faster) in some rougher water. Good luck in your search,

tom

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 09:14 PM
We love our 28ZX with the twins (pic below with the red/black stripes)! I also love Bill's aka Hedgehog (pic below w/the checkerboard 26ZX). We had originally looked at the 26 when moving up from our '91 24' Donzi Blackwidow. We were persuaded into going with twins for fuel efficiency reasons and handling plus added room in the cuddy. I cannot say the exact differences for fuel efficiency between the 26 and the 28, but I can say this:
28'ZX, twin 350's, top speed 72, 95 mile round trip = 35 gallons
24'BW, sgl 454 (+.030), tp spd 64, 95 mile rnd trip = 42 gallons
One other thing that may or may not make a hill of beans to you, I love the longer deck........we tend to stand up there when rafted off for partying purposes and it is great!!!
I agree with many of the comments above, these are great boats and run better (faster) in some rougher water. Good luck in your search,
tom

I like the way you placed your boat to make it look even bigger!

That is some pretty good fuel economy. And yes, the twins will power more disco lights.

FISHIN SUCKS
06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I like the way you placed your boat to make it look even bigger!
That is some pretty good fuel economy. And yes, the twins will power more disco lights.
Okay fine, here's a 20' cig in front of us, feel better??? hahaha

We're all about the lights my brutha:yes::pimp::wink:

nionittisexan
06-24-2010, 01:31 AM
They are the same except the 28ZX has about 16" more in the bow. It looks like a bigger boat. The running surfaces are pretty much the same.

Yee i know but i`m also looking for a 26 or a 28ZX and have never seen them side by side and think it would be cool if anyone have a pic or two

/Rob

FISHIN SUCKS
06-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Sorry Rob, these are the closest I have for photos, I don't have any side-by-sides of the 26 and 28's. Had Hedge's hair dryer (procharger) not disintergrated that day those pics were taken, we could have had some taken. Well......maybe......since Hedgehog's 26 runs around 108 mph and we only run 72, it may have not been a side-by-side.

Here is an interior shot of our 28, maybe Hedge can show a shot of his interior to give an idea of what you are losing/gaining. Also kind of a hull shot.

z33donzi
06-24-2010, 07:09 AM
now dont take this the wrong way // but i think a z33 is the way to go only because i didnt want to be called the "itty bitty donzi comity "thats all i have to say the 33 will fit the bill twin 600 hp will just make that boat fly right at 76 mph and what a ride in big water or not any way thats all i have to say about that lolololololol heres what iam talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBbYu8Sv1w&feature=channel :nilly:

Cuda
06-24-2010, 09:26 AM
The 28 seems to be a much larger boat. I looked at both. I believe Mr X had a 28 with twin Scorps. It was at the Hometown Rally a few years ago, and it was mint.

The Hedgehog
06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry Rob, these are the closest I have for photos, I don't have any side-by-sides of the 26 and 28's. Had Hedge's hair dryer (procharger) not disintergrated that day those pics were taken, we could have had some taken. Well......maybe......since Hedgehog's 26 runs around 108 mph and we only run 72, it may have not been a side-by-side.
Here is an interior shot of our 28, maybe Hedge can show a shot of his interior to give an idea of what you are losing/gaining. Also kind of a hull shot.

I have some shots somewhere. My cabin looks identical but is around a foot shorter. The cockpit is the same.

I have owned both. Functionally they are the same. I do prefer the look of the 28 (not that I don't love my 26) as it looks a good bit longer (don't let that get to your head Tom).

I went to the 26 because I wanted to build a single engine step hull screamer. I did that and am very happy with the results.

There was a time that there was a large price gap between singles and twins. The gap has narrowed. The single vs twin is not really an argument that goes anywhere. There are pros and cons to both.

Shop around. There are some good deals to be obtained. You will not lose with either. Get the boat that makes YOU happy. If you go for a 28, see if you can find one with a faring like Tom's. It looks like a mini racer. I had one on my bigger boat as well.

Do a search under the chattanooga poker run and you can see a vid of mine passing a video boat at a high rate of speed. I don't remember how fast I was running. I am pretty sure that it was over 85.

The Hedgehog
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
now dont take this the wrong way // but i think a z33 is the way to go only because i didnt want to be called the "itty bitty donzi comity "thats all i have to say the 33 will fit the bill twin 600 hp will just make that boat fly right at 76 mph and what a ride in big water or not any way thats all i have to say about that lolololololol heres what iam talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBbYu8Sv1w&feature=channel :nilly:

I can respect that.

mrfixxall
06-25-2010, 05:46 PM
with vary low hours! not mine..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/donzi_scorpion-o34525-en.html

Cuda
06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I never buy a performance boat for it's cabin ammenties. I had a separate head, a fridge, couches, and a removable table in my Formula 302, but I never went below. It still had the gasket for the fridge in a plastic bag from the factory when I sold it. The head was used for storage only.

I bought it because it had twin BBC's and surface drives. I've always been enamored with surface drives.

nionittisexan
06-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Is the 28 only 1,2 foot longer than the 26? Where can i find pics from your ZX Gatherings , can be a good place to start looking for pics of both the 26 and 28ZX...

/Rob

The Hedgehog
06-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Is the 28 only 1,2 foot longer than the 26? Where can i find pics from your ZX Gatherings , can be a good place to start looking for pics of both the 26 and 28ZX...

/Rob

There are plenty of pics of mine. I can only post them once so shoot me a pm with your email address and I can email a bunch to you.

nionittisexan
06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Well Hedge i have alot of pics of both , but not one with them both together wanna see how much bigger ( longer )the 28 looks have never seen them side by side and you all says the 28 looks much bigger but its only 1,2 foot longer if i`m correct... so is there any pics from the ZX Gatherings..

/Rob

FISHIN SUCKS
06-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Sorry Rob, I am not aware of any from the AOTH events. Hedge has the only 26ZX I have seen show up to that event since 2004. If I have an opportunity, I will try and take a shot and post.

nionittisexan
07-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Please do Fishin ...

/Rob

z33donzi
07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
I can respect that.
hey hedgehog i hope you know ill full of ssssssssttt never take me serious unless its time to pay for dinner them its your turn i love all boat s big or small just like my old lady once she too was small 000hhh did i say that out loud !!!! iam glad she doesnt get on here

CJmike
07-01-2010, 11:15 AM
some pics of my current and Hedge's old 27zx in here:

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/CJMikeK/Apostle%20Islands/

The Hedgehog
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
hey hedgehog i hope you know ill full of ssssssssttt never take me serious unless its time to pay for dinner them its your turn i love all boat s big or small just like my old lady once she too was small 000hhh did i say that out loud !!!! iam glad she doesnt get on here

Nah, I think that what you did with that 33 was cool.