PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 26zx with 502 prop help!!!

DonZi 26
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
hi guys i am new to this site !!

i have a 1999 donzi 26zx with a 502 carb 415hp...my question is what prop am i gonna go for ????

rumour has it that these hulls need 4 bladed props to hook well...i have tried a mirage plus 25p 3 blade prop R/H however top rpm was 4600 and top speed at wot was 64mph on gps. Guys keep in mind that the 502 max rpm would be somwere between the lines of 5000-5200rpm so the engine with this prop was not giving its outmost!

The other prop i have tested was a L/H hydromotive quad4 24p 4 bladed which maxed out at 4900rpm but top speed at wot was around 60mph on gps....this looks very weird to me as i managed to gain 300rpm over the mirage however lost 4mph...as regards to trim angles the boat was trimmed just about the same with both prop tests....

When speaking to the factory they told me that this model came out with a bravo1 24p 4blade prop and the boat could reach speeds of up to 70mph on gps (not sure about this)

I am looking for overall good performance, however i would like a prop that gives me the max top end from the boat and good stability.

i am confused as i dont want to throw money down the drain and buy props which ar useless...

Can anyone help me please ?? any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Carlos from malta europe

The Hedgehog
06-22-2010, 04:53 PM
The 24" Bravo I will be a good all around prop. Dialed in and trimmed out right and you will see mid 60's and maybe a little higher.

You can do a little faster with the right 3 blade but it will come at the cost of handling.

I would not waste time with labbed props on that hull.

RedDog
06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a 24 Bravo 4 blade that I might make available. Got it from Hedgehog. I had some cup added to it and now am putting some more pitch in it. After that if I not fully happy with it on my 22 Classic, I could sell it. It will be a couple of weeks before I decide

DonZi 26
06-23-2010, 04:27 AM
cool thanks for your immediate reply guys !!

hedgehog i was speaking to brett from Bblades and was advised the same....he told me that a 24 b1 will be the best route to go for however he mentioned lab finishing aswell...to get the max mph...

i truly believe that 3blade props could run better @ top end...but it seems that this hull doesnt like them at all....when i try to get the boat on plane it blows and slips the props out even when sea is a bit rough i just cant manage to keep the boat on plane...its really damn frustrating...

is it beacuse the drive is mounted high on this boat that 3blades dont work well ?

if i try a 24 b1 what max rpm and top end should i expect ? and since i will be runing the boat in salt water does it make a huge difference !

thanks again guys your comments are greatly appreciated !

carlos

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Brett is a nice guy and has done some good stuff for lots of people.

He also makes his living cutting on props.

Give him a try if you like. He usually backs up what he says and may be able to unload it for you if it does not work.

The prop that Red Dog has was the Last Real Texan's prop. I have seen 68 in a 27ZX step hull with that prop. We know that it works. That is where I would start.

DonZi 26
06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
yeah i'll speak to brett and see what we can figure out....

over here i run my boat in the mediterrenean seas and it gets really heavy at times...we rarely get calm water...and this boat rocks in the rough....i leave 29 baja's all behind me...its just solid rock...im pretty happy with it...

as to trim position..does this boat like alot of trim or just a couple of clicks and that's it ??

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
yeah i'll speak to brett and see what we can figure out....

over here i run my boat in the mediterrenean seas and it gets really heavy at times...we rarely get calm water...and this boat rocks in the rough....i leave 29 baja's all behind me...its just solid rock...im pretty happy with it...

as to trim position..does this boat like alot of trim or just a couple of clicks and that's it ??

carlos

The faster you go, the more trim it will take. When you start getting close to 70 you can pull the nose up more.