PDA

View Full Version : Limited RPM

tmh
06-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I took the 2003 18C 350/300MPI out yesterday for the 1st time since 12/09. I drained the old gas and put fresh gas in the boat, and I did this at the fuel line in the bilge. I started the boat on a remote tank so no old fuel ever touched the engine. The oil was changed along with a new cap and rotor last week. The boat starts well and pulled the kids wakeboarding without any issues. Last year the engine had previously been running at 5000 RPM wide open but yesterday it made it to 4500RPM and then fell back to just over 4000RPM at full throttle. I could feel it surging at times. I was going to put a new set of plugs in it this afernoon to see if that helps. Someone else speculated that the fuel pump may be the issue. If the plugs don't cure the problem I'd be inclined to put a new set of plug wires on it. If that doesn't cure my problem what should be the next step?
Thanks for any advice.
T.M. Hayes

BUIZILLA
06-21-2010, 01:49 PM
fuel filter?

Tidbart
06-21-2010, 01:53 PM
TPS could be bad. Read this thread:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62348
Other boat with the same type of issue.

Can't hurt to check/change the plug along with checking the wiring and boots while you are there. But my guess would not be plugs.

Bob

tmh
06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I did change the fuel filter last week before going out. Thanks for the thought.
T.M.