PDA

View Full Version : Volvo thrust washer won't come off

CL JesseJames
06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
69 16 Ski Sporter w Volvo 250
I take the prop off every year and lube the shaft when it goes back on in the spring. I am thinking about a Solas prop so I got a couple different size thrust washers/ bearings but I can't get the old one off. It spins but won't come off the shaft. Any ideas?

Cuda
06-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Don't force it...........use a bigger hammer. :)

BubbleBee
06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
3 finger claw hook up on a slide hammer

mrfixxall
06-22-2010, 10:21 AM
may have some fishing line between the bushing and the prop shaft..also you may not have had the prop tight,did you use a plastic shim washer under the prop cone? the bushing may have been spinning on the prop shaft and gulled the metal under it..take a pair of vise grips and lightly clamp in on the bushing and with a screwdriver and a hammer,get behind the vise grip jaws and try tapping it off..

mattyboy
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
what fixx said I have one that is boogered up a bit and was a pain to get off but if it is spinning that is some good news.

found out it had a few burrs in it causing it to be a pain.

Cuda
06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
If you take my advice about the bigger hammer, either use a brass hammer or a brass drift.

CL JesseJames
06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Thx all. I have not seen a three fingered claw but I'll try the vicegrips later in the week.
Mr Fixx, the nose cone holding the ALU prop on is just one of the hard plastic jobs so no plastic washer was used with it. I have a volvo screw on nose cone with the allen bolt through it which I am planing on using with the Solas and it came with a plastic washer. Is it not recomended to use this plastic washer?

mrfixxall
06-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Thx all. I have not seen a three fingered claw but I'll try the vicegrips later in the week.
Mr Fixx, the nose cone holding the ALU prop on is just one of the hard plastic jobs so no plastic washer was used with it. I have a volvo screw on nose cone with the allen bolt through it which I am planing on using with the Solas and it came with a plastic washer. Is it not recomended to use this plastic washer?

No matter which prop i run i use the outter plastic washer or 2. it helps the prop cone from digging in to the prop and you can get the prop cone tighter with it in place..