PDA

View Full Version : New shifter advice please...

Bigman99
06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Having run the boat quite a bit for the last few weeks I've come to the conclusion that the shifter sucks and needs replacing. Here's the catch; I've searched all the relevant threads and can't find anything related to a Volvo install.

The boat is a 1996 C18 with a 5.7Gi and a DPS Duoprop. I think the shifter is basically an OMC unit badged as a Volvo.

What are my options for replacement? I like the Livorsi but don't know if it's compatible.

What do you guys think?

VetteLT193
06-21-2010, 09:42 AM
The livorsi unit is compatible with the Merc and 33C cables. I am guessing Volvo uses 33c cables. worst case scenario is you change the cables too.

FWIW the Livorsi one is a blinged out Teleflex? shifter (someone else will surely confirm/correct that). so if you don't want the color you can get the same thing for less money in black/silver.

Tborisch
06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
The livorsi unit is compatible with the Merc and 33C cables. I am guessing Volvo uses 33c cables. worst case scenario is you change the cables too.
FWIW the Livorsi one is a blinged out Teleflex? shifter (someone else will surely confirm/correct that). so if you don't want the color you can get the same thing for less money in black/silver.

yup. Blinged out is about the best description for the livorsi billet piece. I just installed a Dana billet side mount. It's pretty sweet and uses merc or 33C cables.

The Dana shifter is so nice, I have to switch out all my gauges and the steering wheel just so they don't look so bad...

If you want, I can post a pic of it in my 22C.

Tom

LuauLounge
06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I did the Dana too. Had the Quicksilver 3000, now docking is a dream. Before, I hated docking the boat. Now, F/R as needed, no lockout, no throttle overrun. A little pricey, until I used it, now I view it as a bargain. Best improvement you can make if you have a single lever contol.

mc donzi
06-22-2010, 10:16 AM
yup. Blinged out is about the best description for the livorsi billet piece. I just installed a Dana billet side mount. It's pretty sweet and uses merc or 33C cables.

The Dana shifter is so nice, I have to switch out all my gauges and the steering wheel just so they don't look so bad...

If you want, I can post a pic of it in my 22C.

Tom

Hi Tom,

A couple of pictures would be nice.

I have a 22C with the Volvo DPX. Love the package... hate the shifter- the neutral gate is so small-pull it into reverse and the bow almost goes under. Pulling into a dock can be embarrassing.

I have been told that there are adapters to go from Merc. to Volvo. Haven't verified that yet.

Regards,

Dave

Donzi LG
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I did the Dana too. Had the Quicksilver 3000, now docking is a dream. Before, I hated docking the boat. Now, F/R as needed, no lockout, no throttle overrun. A little pricey, until I used it, now I view it as a bargain. Best improvement you can make if you have a single lever contol.

Amen, brother!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

John

LuauLounge
06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi Tom,

A couple of pictures would be nice.

I have a 22C with the Volvo DPX. Love the package... hate the shifter- the neutral gate is so small-pull it into reverse and the bow almost goes under. Pulling into a dock can be embarrassing.

I have been told that there are adapters to go from Merc. to Volvo. Haven't verified that yet.

Regards,

Dave

Pics

Bigman99
06-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok, so I'm slowly being talked into the Dana. Question remains; will it fit the stock cables in my Volvo setup? Anyone know what type cables the Volvo/DPS combo uses? Also, has anyone done a Dana on an 18 that would like to share a pic or two?

tmh
06-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Call the guys at Dana as they were very helpful. You will love the Dana once you adjust to it. I'm still breaking the habit of wanting to push the throttle to put it in gear. I wish neutral had a bit more of a stop or notch feel to it but the throttle is a large improvement over the stock Mercruiser unit. It is smooth as can be and I can adjust RPMS by the slightest amount which is useful for skiing. I did have to change cables so it was not cheap, but I'm glad I spent the money as the result was a substantial improvement. It also looks unique and has a quality feel.

The Hedgehog
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I actually own a Livorsi. To some extent it is a blinged out Telex. They all have to have the same action and throw to mate up to Merc and Volvo packages.

I have taken mine apart and it is a much better piece of equipment than the Telex. It is a great upgrade and well worth it. Much better action than the telex and much better looking.

The Dana is a great looking product. I would love to drive a boat with one. I have heard nothing but great comments about it.

rtgogo
06-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I have a billet livorsi on my 22zx and really like it. HUGE IMPROVEMENT. Stock plastic blows! I compared with Dana and may push you to go that route if money is not a factor. I wanted a single lever so Livorsi was a no brainer... Either way you go its a big improvement. Stock is not worthy of boat....enjoy the upgrade!

Bigman99
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone. Going to take the weekend to figure out whether the single or dual route is the way I want to go. Either way everyone seems positive about both products so I shouldn't go wrong with either one.

Thanks and I'll post pics when I'm done.

mc donzi
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Pics

Tom,

Thanks for the pictures

That really looks good!!!

Is the red base compatible with the Donzi red?? I'm going to phone Dana to ask about shifter cables for a DPX.

Dave

LuauLounge
06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the pictures

That really looks good!!!

Is the red base compatible with the Donzi red?? I'm going to phone Dana to ask about shifter cables for a DPX.

Dave

I might be hesitant to mount a red shifter on a red background, but if there is some distance between the reds it works fine. The red upholstery compliments the shifter, the steering wheel really doesn't, but you don't really notice it. The Dana is work of art.

mc donzi
06-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Ok, so I'm slowly being talked into the Dana. Question remains; will it fit the stock cables in my Volvo setup? Anyone know what type cables the Volvo/DPS combo uses? Also, has anyone done a Dana on an 18 that would like to share a pic or two?

I talked to a guy at Dana- Bob Jeanblanc-951-279-5005- about a side mount for my 22C with the Volvo DPX. I emailed him a couple of pictures of the throttle cable connection. He confirmed that it was a 33 series cable. So all that I need to buy is the shifter. Also, on their instruction guide it shows a picture of the cables that WILL work and WILL NOT work.

Hope this helps.

Dave