PDA

View Full Version : Help no water through exhaust with garden hose

martzmotors
06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm a new owner of a ZX22 donzi with ho 496. Went to run in driveway with hose hooked to bravo and no water through exhaust. I dont have ownes manual. did I forget to prim the system or relieve pressure some where? I probably fryed the impeller now any info on how to R&R impeller and prime system once I put new impeller in? it has a closed system with antifreeze.

Carl C
06-20-2010, 04:15 PM
When on the hose you have a limited water supply and it takes a while to work it's way out the exhaust. If you have Q&Q a lot of the water runs out the drive too. Impeller replacement is easy. Remove the belt and pump and take the pump apart and put in the new impeller using various lubes.....I use anti-freeze. Make sure the imp. is rotated the same way as the old one. You do not need to prime it unless you have a sea strainer in which case you may need to fill the ss with water first.

Cuda
06-20-2010, 04:24 PM
It takes quite a while to pump the water through. If you change the impeller, just twist it in the way it is supposed to turn. I use the stuff called Sil-Glide to lube the impellars. You can get it through JC Whitney. I don't know where my dad got the first tube, but it lasted about 30 years. He probably still has some.

Donzi Vol
06-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Seriously not being a smart *#% here...what kind of water pressure were you working with and how long did you let the water fill the motor before throwing in the towel? If you're like me, you're paranoid about burning something up, so better safe than sorry. Just a couple thoughts...might still be in the clear here.

thehow33
06-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Seriously not being a smart *#% here...what kind of water pressure were you working with and how long did you let the water fill the motor before throwing in the towel? If you're like me, you're paranoid about burning something up, so better safe than sorry. Just a couple thoughts...might still be in the clear here.

he has a closed loop system so it shouldn't take as long

FISHIN SUCKS
06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
When you slide the water muffs on over the water intakes of the outdrive, did you remember to put a piece of duct tape over the 4 holes at the front of the outdrive? You will be there all day waiting for water to come out the exhaust while you watch water piss out the front of the outdrive. However, I can be corrected if closed-cooling systems change this direction I just gave and I don't have a closed-cooling system. good luck,

tom

martzmotors
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
it has a closed system, I ran it until the exhaust started to get so hot that the rubber started to smoke. the risers where very hot. I think the impeller must be toast.

FISHIN SUCKS
06-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Sounds like toast on the impeller. Like Carl said, remove the belt, then take apart the housing (I think like 6 or seven nuts), then replace the impeller. While it is fairly easy, It takes a more time to change a Mercruiser than a King Cobra impeller BY FAR! But once all changed, remember to put your tape on the front of the outdrive!

Carl C
06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Yup, your impeller is toast and maybe the plastic pump housing too. And, yup, you must plug the small holes. I used two loops of small rubber hose stuck in them.

BlownCrewCab
06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Seems to me that his Impeller was Toasted before he even hooked up the hose.

Donzigo
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
My two cents -------------remember never to race the engine on a hose. There is minimum water going through the engine system.