PDA

View Full Version : Wind-A-Away

RedDog
06-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I put a Wind-A-Way on my 22 yesterday. What a difference. The wind has always blinded me and the wind noise was terrible. I'm fairly tall (6-1) and my head sticks way above the windshield. With the Wind-A-Way I can hear the motor like never before.

http://www.windaway.com/

realbold
06-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Great invention. Why didn't I think of that?

Carl C
06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Yup, they really work and I've tested them to over 85 mph :). Kiss them good-bye if you stuff the boat good....... :nilly:

BLACKIE
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
I put a Wind-A-Way on my 22 yesterday. What a difference. The wind has always blinded me and the wind noise was terrible. I'm fairly tall (6-1) and my head sticks way above the windshield. With the Wind-A-Way I can hear the motor like never before.
http://www.windaway.com/

Reddog, do you think they could be mounted on an 18c??? Maybe to the weenie bars?? :crossfing:
Blackie

fogducker III
06-21-2010, 07:57 PM
They fit an 18C but have to be slightly modified to fit the "stepped" lip on the windshield frame........if you need, I can post pics of the mods.......I bought one and was happy with it so I used it as a mock-up and made one out of Lexan and nylon blocks for the fasteners.....:wink:

BLACKIE
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I forgot to mention that my 18 does not have a windshield, just weenie bars. I'm getting tired of picking bugs out of my teeth... Could they be adapted to fit on the bars?

LuauLounge
06-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Greetings,
I bought a pair for my 1998 22Zx with the fiberglass fairing. The fairing has a significant taper, small to larger as it approaches the hull. I haven't figured a way to fasten them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Planetwarmer
06-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Greetings,
I bought a pair for my 1998 22Zx with the fiberglass fairing. The fairing has a significant taper, small to larger as it approaches the hull. I haven't figured a way to fasten them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
Duct tape.

LuauLounge
06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Duct tape.

Where do I find the speed rated kind?

RedDog
06-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I forgot to mention that my 18 does not have a windshield, just weenie bars. I'm getting tired of picking bugs out of my teeth... Could they be adapted to fit on the bars?

I think it could mount on the weenie bar but I don't think it would help. The top edge wouldn't be any higher than a standard windshield. The standard windshield height is worst than having no windshield in my opinion.

JeffH
06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Blakie,

I spoke with these people a while back and they say it can't be mounted to the bars that I have as well... I suppose you could mount a bracket of some sort, but I didn't want to go that far.

JH

MOP
06-22-2010, 04:42 PM
The motor cycle foils that Kenny found let him wear his a hat running hard, they are much more stream lined and look like they belong on the windshields edge. The real beauty is you do not have to sit right behind the foil like on my 22, if I lean over to grab something my hat goes bye bye not on Ken boat.

RedDog
06-22-2010, 04:54 PM
The motor cycle foils that Kenny found let him wear his a hat running hard, they are much more stream lined and look like they belong on the windshields edge. The real beauty is you do not have to sit right behind the foil like on my 22, if I lean over to grab something my hat goes bye bye not on Ken boat.

I tried a sample strip of this and it didn't do the job for me

MOP
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I tried a sample strip of this and it didn't do the job for me

U B taller then Ken!!!!:shades:

Tony
06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm just shy of 6' tall. I mounted the motorcycle reverse venturi system like Ken has, all the way across my windshield. (Saeng Micro Swirl Edging: http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=551&category=80)

For me it gave about an extra 5" of lee, which put the wind blast just above my head instead of right into my eyes.
I like the effect, and the looks too.

:beer:

CHACHI
06-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey what can I tell ya, I'm short.

Ken

DonziJon
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Here's an idea that is pretty simple and was invented way back in the early days. (1920s) Simple: just bend a piece of aluminum sheet...or today I might use 1/8 ..or maybe 1/16 Plexi. Just bend it and fix it to the existing windscreen. The CURVE is absolutely important to deflect the wind away.

The boat is TEASER, 39'10", powered by a 600 HP, 1,948 ci Wright Typhoon V-12. The boat averaged 52 MPH on a run up the Hudson River racing a train.

Planetwarmer
06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
There is a little 16 footer with some "wind aways" mounted to the sissy bar in the classified section titled donzi/formula

Bobby D
06-24-2010, 09:13 AM
FWIW height doesn’t matter at 6’ 4” tall, with a 38” inseam and a 37” sleeve I’m built like an albatross therefore most of my height is under the dash. Long arms allow me to drive the Donzi with the seat fully extended so I sit further away from the steering wheel than most. Sitting down I appear to be of average height however standing up is when the difference is realized.
In other words LOA does not matter it’s the measurement from the waist up that applies here.

CHACHI
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
FWIW height doesn’t matter at 6’ 4” tall, with a 38” inseam and a 37” sleeve I’m built like an albatross therefore most of my height is under the dash. Long arms allow me to drive the Donzi with the seat fully extended so I sit further away from the steering wheel than most. Sitting down I appear to be of average height however standing up is when the difference is realized.
In other words LOA does not matter it’s the measurement from the waist up that applies here.

Like I said, I am short.

Ken

Tborisch
06-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Yup, they really work and I've tested them to over 85 mph :). Kiss them good-bye if you stuff the boat good....... :nilly:

LOL! you stuff a 22 classic going 85, and you can kiss more then your wind a ways goodbye! :)

I were goggles. Willey-X! :)

DonziJon
06-24-2010, 06:24 PM
LOL! you stuff a 22 classic going 85, and you can kiss more then your wind a ways goodbye! :)

I'm thinking you can Kiss Your ASS goodby.....OH WAIT. I Can't say that here...............:bonk: Only the President can use the A word...............:)

fogducker III
06-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Here's an idea that is pretty simple and was invented way back in the early days. (1920s) Simple: just bend a piece of aluminum sheet...or today I might use 1/8 ..or maybe 1/16 Plexi. Just bend it and fix it to the existing windscreen. The CURVE is absolutely important to deflect the wind away.

The boat is TEASER, 39'10", powered by a 600 HP, 1,948 ci Wright Typhoon V-12. The boat averaged 52 MPH on a run up the Hudson River racing a train.

Living where I live the old boot-legger history is rich, I love this style of boat and they were WAY ahead of the times with some of them, wind deflector included.

The pic below is the same boat recently brought back to life....:wink:

Ed Donnelly
06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Ken; You are not SHORT

You are height challenged................................Ed

DonziJon
06-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Living where I live the old boot-legger history is rich, I love this style of boat and they were WAY ahead of the times with some of them, wind deflector included.

The pic below is the same boat recently brought back to life....:wink:

YUP: Looks like Lake Tahoe...home to quite a few Oldies. In chasing antique boats for twenty years I only saw that boat twice I think. Both times at the Antique Race Boat Regatta in Clayton New York..Thousand Islands.

http://www.abm.org/

CHACHI
06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Ken; You are not SHORT

ED, you are so PC.

Ken

Ghost
06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Ken; You are not SHORT

:) That PC's so last Tuesday. You can't say 'challenged', then it sounds like something's wrong.

He's independently heighted.

HOWARD O
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm just shy of 6' tall. I mounted the motorcycle reverse venturi system like Ken has, all the way across my windshield. (Saeng Micro Swirl Edging: http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=551&category=80)

For me it gave about an extra 5" of lee, which put the wind blast just above my head instead of right into my eyes.

Thanks to Chachi, I tried them too and they're still on my windshield. I'm right at 6' and while they did help a tad, not nearly enough. Although they have helped my shorter passengers. My 22' is a 1982 and I believe it has the shortest windshields of all the 22's and does NOT have the little diverters that the newer, frameless windshields had. I absolutely have to wear some kind of eye protection and lately I've been looking around for some clear lenses for when it's getting dark or at night. I can also appreciate how quiet and nice it is to run when I am ducking out of the wind for those brief periods.

I'm not crazy about the look, but I believe I'll order up a set of these for the sake of enjoyment. I don't remember any of these problems with the 16', but I've come to the conclusion that the windshield directs ALL the wind right into my eyes. What a design blunder!. :boggled:

I think I'm of average height, but as I get older, I really wish I were a few inches shorter. A few inches narrower would be nice, too....... but that's another matter entirely! :cool:

HOWARD O
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Like I said, I am short.

Ken

and a much bigger man than most...... :yes:

(oops, need to clarify that remark....I mean bigger as in better, Ken isn't fat!)

Cuda
06-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks to Chachi, I tried them too and they're still on my windshield. I'm right at 6' and while they did help a tad, not nearly enough. Although they have helped my shorter passengers. My 22' is a 1982 and I believe it has the shortest windshields of all the 22's and does NOT have the little diverters that the newer, frameless windshields had. I absolutely have to wear some kind of eye protection and lately I've been looking around for some clear lenses for when it's getting dark or at night. I can also appreciate how quiet and nice it is to run when I am ducking out of the wind for those brief periods.
I'm not crazy about the look, but I believe I'll order up a set of these for the sake of enjoyment. I don't remember any of these problems with the 16', but I've come to the conclusion that the windshield directs ALL the wind right into my eyes. What a design blunder!. :boggled:
I think I'm of average height, but as I get older, I really wish I were a few inches shorter. A few inches narrower would be nice, too....... but that's another matter entirely! :cool:
I wore goggles on that boat. The windsheild is worse than worthless. It channels the wind right in you face. My Minx had a slight turn up on its windshield. Both were about the same height. I'm not tall (5'9") but I'm short legged and long waisted.

Cuda
06-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey what can I tell ya, I'm short.

Ken
You should sue the city for building the sidewalk so close to your butt!:)

Carl C
06-26-2010, 10:03 AM
The wind-aways do not detract from a boat's appearance IMO. They are almost invisible from a short distance away. I really like mine and recommend them.

HOWARD O
06-26-2010, 06:58 PM
You should sue the city for building the sidewalk so close to your butt!:)

:rlol::rlol:

Carl C
07-23-2010, 03:07 PM

lol No I don't run 85 in "stuffing seas"! I stuffed it good about 30 mph on Lake Erie. That is a rude smack in the face! At least only one wind-away was mounted at the time. I don't know how my prescription shades stayed on:cool!:!

blackhawk
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM

This really raises where the wind hits you by 5"? Any problems with them staying on? Seems like there would be a lot of pressure on them.

Thanks!

HOWARD O
07-26-2010, 02:10 PM
They have a strip of adhesive on it's edge and applied directly to the top front of the windshield. It won't come off easily, certainly not any boat speed will tear it off. My experience wasn't 5 inches of deflection, maybe 2.

CHACHI
07-26-2010, 07:15 PM
This really raises where the wind hits you by 5"? Any problems with them staying on? Seems like there would be a lot of pressure on them.

Thanks!
I am on my third year or so with the micro edge and there has been absolutly no problem with it staying put.

My boat now runs mid/upper 70's and I can still wear a hat.

Ken

HOWARD O
07-26-2010, 07:58 PM
I am on my third year or so with the micro edge and there has been absolutly no problem with it staying put.

Ken

I don't know how the height of my windshield compares to the framed type like yours. I've got to think it's quite a bit taller. My seat also sits on a box, not a pedestal too. Wonder if mine sits higher?

But heck with all that.....maybe this Micro Edge trim only works on FAST boats like yours? Speaking of which, Ken....... don't you still have a 454 mag/Bravo combo? Is this new found speed taken with a GPS and running with a very strong current or what? Please tell us how you're managing mid to upper 70's in that thing! Inquiring minds want to know! :yes: :confused: :cool: :kingme:

G-MAN
07-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Anybody ever try any of these products on a ZR?

CHACHI
07-27-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't know how the height of my windshield compares to the framed type like yours. I've got to think it's quite a bit taller. My seat also sits on a box, not a pedestal too. Wonder if mine sits higher?

But heck with all that.....maybe this Micro Edge trim only works on FAST boats like yours? Speaking of which, Ken....... don't you still have a 454 mag/Bravo combo? Is this new found speed taken with a GPS and running with a very strong current or what? Please tell us how you're managing mid to upper 70's in that thing! Inquiring minds want to know! :yes: :confused: :cool: :kingme:

Yep, it is a 454 MPI (stock) with Eddie Marine exhaust and a -2 shorty spinning a 28 labbed Bravo.

Running into the wind and current, I saw 75 on the GPS and it was still climbing. Boat started to chine walk so I lifted. But boy was I some pleased.

Ken

HOWARD O
07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Ahh, Kenny's now got a shorty! I KNEW IT! :yes:

Congrats!!!! :kingme:

DonziJon
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Kenny himself is also short and doesn't present much wind resistance...:nilly:

blackhawk
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I may have to try the micro edge. But I think I sit higher in my boat as compared to a Classic 22. I have windaways and I hate the way they look. Plus I wacked my head on it within 5 minutes. LOL

I was thinking about doing something like this picture by cutting my windaways down and angling them.

CHACHI
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Here is the Micro edge installed on my windshield.

Ken

CHACHI
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Kenny himself is also short and doesn't present much wind resistance...:nilly:

Width wise there is a little more resistance than I want.

Ken

RickSE
07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Here's my first iteration of a wind deflector. It worked great so I'll probably take it to the next step, clean up and downsize the clamps along with pinning the deflector into the clamps so it can be easily removable. My biggest problem is that I've lost air flow at slow speeds and get hot behind the wheel so I'd like to be able to easily remove the deflector(s) at slow speed. I probably will also cut dowm the deflector material since it doesn't need to be so tall. Again this was a first iteration and I just wanted to get something on the boat to see if I liked or disliked the wind deflection. It certainly is nice to be able to hear the motor now and not the wind.

Planetwarmer
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Im 6'5". I bet your wind deflector isnt tall enough for me. Im thinking of mounting a windscreen off of a Honda Gold Wing!

Actually, I like the wind in my face and bugs in my teeth. I do however have the "eyebrows" on my windshield. I wonder if that even makes a difference, seeing that I am so tall.

blackhawk
07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

Ken

What are the chances you could measure from the floor to the top of your seat cushion and from the floor to the top of your windshield?

CHACHI
07-28-2010, 05:53 AM
What are the chances you could measure from the floor to the top of your seat cushion and from the floor to the top of your windshield?

That would be no problem except the boat is 300 miles north.

I will be there this weekend and would be happy to get these measurements if you can wait that long.

I am sure that there is someone who get get these measurements today for you.

My boat is a 99. Stainless windshield and seats on posts, not boxes.

Ken

blackhawk
07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
That would be no problem except the boat is 300 miles north.

I will be there this weekend and would be happy to get these measurements if you can wait that long.

I am sure that there is someone who get get these measurements today for you.

My boat is a 99. Stainless windshield and seats on posts, not boxes.

Ken

I'm in no hurry so after the weekend is fine. If someone else wants to post theirs that may be helpful but I still want yours in case there is small differences between the Classics.

I am 16.5" to the top of the seat cushion and 38.625" to the top of the windshield.

Planetwarmer
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I will try to measure mine tomorrow. Seats are mounted on boxes, and I have the eyebrows. Its the ugliest windshield. I would love to have the stainless windshield, or the 2003. Im tempted to get the newest style as well. I wonder where I could get a frame for the stainless or the brackets for the newest style??

I really like how the stainless and new frameless shields match the curve of the boat. Mine may work the best, but its square, and I don't care to wear a hat when im driving!

HOWARD O
07-28-2010, 05:41 PM
I am 13" to top of seat cushion and 34" to the top of the windshield. 1982, no frame, no eyebrows and the seat sits flat on the box.

HOWARD O
07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I will try to measure mine tomorrow. Seats are mounted on boxes, and I have the eyebrows. Its the ugliest windshield. I would love to have the stainless windshield, or the 2003. Im tempted to get the newest style as well. I wonder where I could get a frame for the stainless or the brackets for the newest style??

I really like how the stainless and new frameless shields match the curve of the boat. Mine may work the best, but its square, and I don't care to wear a hat when im driving!

I looked into getting a new one from the plastics company in FL, just a like replacement since it's cracked and crazed. I think it'll run around $600 for the thick glass, not bad. But I agree, love the stainless frame.

blackhawk
07-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I am 13" to top of seat cushion and 34" to the top of the windshield. 1982, no frame, no eyebrows and the seat sits flat on the box.

Thanks! Pretty close to what I have.

DonziJon
07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Go back and look at Post #17 & the link on #23.(Very big file) "Simple Is As Simple Does". Use your imagination. YOU can do it. :yes:

Silicone Seal is your friend. If you don't like it ..just remove it. No damage done.

blackhawk
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Go back and look at Post #17 & the link on #23.(Very big file) "Simple Is As Simple Does". Use your imagination. YOU can do it. :yes:
Silicone Seal is your friend. If you don't like it ..just remove it. No damage done.

Simple and functional, yes. But also ugly as hell. LOL

CHACHI
07-31-2010, 06:14 AM
blackhawk, the measurements are.....

Floor to seat....14"

Floor to windshield.....34.25"

Hope this helps.

Ken

HOWARD O
07-31-2010, 04:30 PM
blackhawk, the measurements are.....

Floor to seat....14"

Floor to windshield.....34.25"

Hope this helps.

Ken

Wow, by those measurements you'd be a hair higher than I am. However, I believe your type of windshield has more of a vertical angle. I can tell just by looking at your photos. Maybe that makes the difference right there?

BlakeSullivan
11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Does anyone have a picture of there windaways installed on a classic stainless windshield I cannot seem to make mine fit right. Thanks

RedDog
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have a picture of there windaways installed on a classic stainless windshield I cannot seem to make mine fit right. Thanks

I can't get it to fit right either. During the third use of it, the brackets broke and the shield hit me in the face (no injury). Wind-Away sent me new brackets, but with the stainless windshield frame it just doesn't fit well.

BlakeSullivan
11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Well thats a bummer

RickSE
11-30-2010, 11:06 AM
My brackets work on my s.s. windshield up to 75-MPH. I do need to slim them down a little though and make another set. They're pretty simple, just a delrin clam shell clamp with tabs on the front to hook the brackets onto the s.s. frame. I'll post some better pictures once I get a new set made.

BlakeSullivan
11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
If you would be interested in selling your first set when you finish your second set you have a buyer ready. Thanks

oledawg
11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Clear prescription motorcycle goggles, same ones that I use on the Harley :cool!: when my kids ( young adults ) see me pulling out the goggles and the bush hat with chin strap they start looking for something to hold on to :wink:

I did purchase some of the motorcycle "deflector" to fasten on top of my windshield frame but the "round 2 it" hasn't hit me yet :pimp: