PDA

View Full Version : Not on our news! War may be extremely close!

MOP
06-20-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.debka.com/article/8862/

Cuda
06-20-2010, 11:18 AM
A Navy Admiral had to take early retirement when he said a few months ago, "That ankle biter is not closing anything. I've got two nuclear carrier task forces out there".
Those Isrealis don't play. The only thing that kept them out of Iran during the first Gulf War was pressure from the US.

dr
06-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I hope I don’t offend anyone but I’m painting with a big broad brush here, with limited pigment, having only assumptions and no facts, being politically incorrect perhaps racist certainly ignorant….however….…..can someone to me why the state of Israel and its citizens are (or has an image of being) aggressive, assertive, proactive, ‘tough’, tough minded, ect but Jewish people residing in the US have an image considerably different…

BUIZILLA
06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I hope I don’t offend anyone but I’m painting with a big broad brush here, with limited pigment, having only assumptions and no facts, being politically incorrect perhaps racist certainly ignorant….however….…..can someone to me why the state of Israel and its citizens are (or has an image of being) aggressive, assertive, proactive, ‘tough’, tough minded, ect but Jewish people residing in the US have an image considerably different… because there is no Palistine over here

yet..

Cuda
06-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I hope I don’t offend anyone but I’m painting with a big broad brush here, with limited pigment, having only assumptions and no facts, being politically incorrect perhaps racist certainly ignorant….however….…..can someone to me why the state of Israel and its citizens are (or has an image of being) aggressive, assertive, proactive, ‘tough’, tough minded, ect but Jewish people residing in the US have an image considerably different…
Because they are tough. They got kicked around pretty good in WWII, and moved to the desert that nobody wanted until the Isralis made something of that country, now the Palestinians want to take it away. As I understand it, there never has been a country named Palestine.

LadyGrizz
06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
My history may be a little fuzzy, but as I recall, prior to WWII the entire area was known as Persia and was a British protectorate (i.e. colony). The Palestinians are called that because they were the people that were occupying the area that the League of Nations allowed Britain to carve up out of the defunct Ottoman Empire into 2 administrative territories called Palestine and TransJordan. TransJordan is now modern day Jordan. The British controlled the territory of Palestine until 1948. Jews had been emigrating to Palestine (that in ancient times had been the country of Israel, prior to the Roman's taking it over) in a small trickle prior to WWII and that was ok with the locals. They were nomadic, the Jewish settlers were not. This became a problem when the Jewish immigration became a flood after WWII, much like our own Native Americans vs. European settlers...very different ideas on "land ownership". And, like our own history, it became a fight for survival (in the minds on both sides), myth and propaganda giving way to fear and hate, reprisals, revenge, retaliation, on both sides. Our own aboriginal people were either assimilated, killed, or allowed small pockets here and there (the circumstances, conditions, and psyche/cultural destruction conveniently overlooked) . If the times had been different, and they had had the equivalent weaponry of the European settlers of the period, our story may very well have been similar to what's going on in Israel now. Neither side is willing to trust that they could all live together in the same place. How do you blend a nomadic culture with a settled one? The racial bigotry there is toxic on both sides. Everyone has a horrific story to tell about why the other guy doesn't deserve their trust. It's all very sad, and very frightening in this day and age.

tmh
06-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Those are great points but keep in mind that many of those nomadic people have made solemn pledges for the destruction of Israel and the death to Jews and they devoutly teach this idea throughout their media and in their schools to the children at the youngest ages. I don't believe that parallel philosophy exists with the Jews which is a large distinction.

gcarter
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi Barbara;
A little more info might be helpful too.
One of the early things the UN did was to vote that the country of Israel was to be a county in fact. Of course as soon as it happened, all the surrounding countries invaded, but not until those same surrounding countries encouraged the "Arabic Palestinians" to vacate Israel until the Jews were squashed, and then the Palestinians would own it all. Many of the Palestinians (I don't remember the number, but several hundred thousands to one million?) did leave, the war started, and a miracle happened....the Jews won. That was pretty remarkable as they were almost unarmed, the British had seen to that.
Once the Jews won, the displaced Palestinians were immediately homeless and dispossesed.
To some extent, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the Palestinians that had been a part of the plan set forth by the other Middle Eastern countries. After all, they played an active part in a plan that didn't go according to their script.
No one else wanted them either. Many of them had set up camp in Jordan and after they realized they couldn't go back to israel, they attempted to take over the Jordanian govenrment. The King wasn't having any part of it and unleashed the army on the Palestinians and drove them into southern Syria and Lebanon.
They don't assimilate any of the cultures they are in. They purposely remain "Palestinians". They keep waiting for their deliverer to remove the Jews from Israel.
They (the Palestinians) could decide today to become part of a culture and to be productive. Their leadership won't allow that to happen. The leadership carefully keeps these people in miserable conditions to keep the anger up against the Jews. If they were allowed to practice commerce in freedom, it would all be over immediately.
It's really a sad situation.

Cuda
06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Iran was Persia.

Walt. H.
06-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Iran was Persia.
Yep! It sure was, back when it known for their belly dancers and the forty thieves....:lookaroun:

Ghost
06-25-2010, 11:19 AM
As a quick aside, I think a large measure of the land within the modern Iranian border was previously called Persia. But to really make useful sense of it in the history of Israel's emergence, I think the area has been a lot fuzzier and messier than that. In reality, I think the whole Middle East was pretty blurry and fluid before WWI in terms of borders and national governments. It simply did not exist as a region of nations.

I'll take the rest of my comments to http://getoutthepopcorn.org/ ...

tmh
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I wonder if the military presence is related to Iran planning to send aid ships to Gaza that I just read were no longer going to go. It sounds like a lot of potential firepower.

gcarter
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
As a quick aside, I think a large measure of the land within the modern Iranian border was previously called Persia. But to really make useful sense of it in the history of Israel's emergence, I think the area has been a lot fuzzier and messier than that. In reality, I think the whole Middle East was pretty blurry and fluid before WWI in terms of borders and national governments. It simply did not exist as a region of nations.

I'll take the rest of my comments to http://getoutthepopcorn.org/ ...

You're right Mike, the Ottomans didn't take to anyone defining any area in the region as other than their empire.
They did run the region for close to 1000 years.

Cuda
06-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Yep! It sure was, back when it known for their belly dancers and the forty thieves....:lookaroun:

And Maglc Carpet rides.

Cuda
06-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I wonder if the military presence is related to Iran planning to send aid ships to Gaza that I just read were no longer going to go. It sounds like a lot of potential firepower.
That little sawed off punk doesn't run that country, the oil companies run that country. Iran knows they need our money. They can't eat or drink the oil.

gcarter
06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
That little sawed off punk doesn't run that country, the oil companies run that country. Iran knows they need our money. They can't eat or drink the oil.

Joe, don't include us in that statement as the US hasn't bought anything from Iran since about '79.

Cuda
06-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Joe, don't include us in that statement as the US hasn't bought anything from Iran since about '79.
I'm reasonably sure we have, one way or the other. There are ways around embargos.

Walt. H.
06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I believe we buy pistachio nuts from them and G.E. is still dealing with them last reported and its not with home appliances either!:garfield: