PDA

View Full Version : Sweden Classic 22

fysis
06-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Hello over there sending som pictures of my 22 Classic .For this season i´ve built a 540 for it.Last summer i had an HP 500 (blue) installed and run 81.65 MPH at our official Shootout over here and got the 1 Price up to 22"
hopefully i will ad some speed this year . What´s the official 22 classic speed record if there are one serious measured. If you have any question about my Donzi please mail me. Bjorn Carapi:sweden:

axelkloehn
06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Very nice boat!

michibesler did 85.6 mph (gps) in his whipple charged Shelby a few weeks ago...

one advice, remove the Z from the Donzi logo cause it isn't a Z.

BUIZILLA
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
good looking rig ya got there...

I might suggest you change the carb fuel line setup and the center stud for the carb arrestor is too short..

looking good

fysis
06-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Very nice boat!

michibesler did 85.6 mph (gps) in his whipple charged Shelby a few weeks ago...

one advice, remove the Z from the Donzi logo cause it isn't a Z.
Thank´s for you answer and interrest. so 85.6 is the top official reading for a 22 classic? What do you mean by the Z isn´t a Z it´s the same Z as in the register logo and looks very nice to me and everyone else that´s coment the boat so far.Regards Bjorn

BUIZILLA
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
actually, your goal should be 105+

but 85 is nothing to sneeze at

fysis
06-19-2010, 04:30 PM
good looking rig ya got there...

I might suggest yiou change the carb fuel line setup and the center stud for the carb arrestor is too short..

looking good
Hi Buizilla. And thanks for your reply.Today was the first time i put in any coments on this site and i´m thankful for any god tips about setups and interresting " fast "22 Classics and experienced owners of thoose boats.Earlier tonight i spent over an hour reading about guys on this sight that find their Classics so scary to drive over like 60 MPH so they just keept on moving the trim tabs up and down to get them forward.?????
Please explain to me about the fuel line and center stud. Regards Bjorn

gcarter
06-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi Bjorn;
Your boat is a Classic. Classics come in three sizes; 16', 18', and 22' like yours. Classics have been in production off and on since the beginning in the 1960's. The 22' Classic has been in production in one form or another since about 1979 I think.
"Z" boats are newer, having gone into production sometimes in the 1980's.
Z boats are of a completely different form and look more like other brands of offshore boats. http://donzimarine.com/
Anyway, your decal with the large "Z" is intended for a "Z" series boat and not a Classic. I'm sure where you live no one knows the difference.
Donzi's are relatively low production boats and over time you will see production boats with "X" dimensions (the height of the engine crankshaft and outdrive above the bottom of the hull at the transom) of varying heights. These differences, along with the selection of propellors can impact the handling.
Most any newer stock 22 wil exceed 70 MPH. There're a number of boats here that belong to members that will exceed 80 MPH. Some are supercharged and some naturally aspirated.
A very few, maybe fewer than four will exceed 100 MPH.
It takes a lot of time and investment to go over 80 MPH. You need to thouroughly get used to your boat, try various trim combinations, and try different propellors to discover your best performance.

BUIZILLA
06-19-2010, 06:08 PM
fysis... your engine room is really well layed out and sanitary.... LOVE the headers in black... nothing is there without a purpose and the harness is hidden, and not draped over the top.. can't say mine looks that good..

a couple things that I noticed >> one is the fuel line to the carb splitter tube should be 1/2" ID blue USCG hose, then 3/8" tube to the carb bowls, you should NOT use rubber hose and clamps as I see... not a big visual change there, but it would be MUCH safer and clean things up 100%... you NEED 1/2" hose up to the splitter to feed those 540 rats that live under those gorgeous valve covers...

the other is >> the center stud for your air cleaner should be 2-3 threads through the nylock nut, but not hitting the hatch.... right now it can vibrate loose... and thats not a good thing...

then >> it looks like you have a standard lower unit, so a 2" shorty IMCO would pick up a ton of speed, but they aren't cheap... the 4 blade prop is holding you back a few grunts as well... with the short single ram tabs you have there is a handling quirk about 84-88 but a shorty and good 3 blade prop like a TXP or Hydromotive should help stablize that...

hope this helps amd welcome aboard

mrfixxall
06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
By the way USCG means united states coast guard,you being in sweeden i dont know if your coast guard follow the same rules?

Take Buiz's good advise and make some changes. it will do your little motor some good :)

Also our rules apply to,,you should have double hose clamps on every connection (fuel and exhaust which i see your exhaust has..

welcome aboard and vary nice ride!

axelkloehn
06-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Thank´s for you answer and interrest. so 85.6 is the top official reading for a 22 classic? What do you mean by the Z isn´t a Z it´s the same Z as in the register logo and looks very nice to me and everyone else that´s coment the boat so far.Regards Bjorn

Sorry, no offense with the "Z", but I think it will look better with just the chromed Donzi or with the pennants like the old school logos. I can witness the 85.6 mph with michis shelby cause I was on board. Sure there will be some guys faster with their 22. Welcome on board, Björn. By the way, I with my Donzi GT and michi with his shelby live in Hamburg, germany, not too far away from you.

ezervos
06-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Bjorn, beautiful boat! Would like to see some more pictures up front - dash etc... Your interior is nice also - is it stock or did you have it redone in Sweden ?

knots2u
06-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Zoom the picture of the interior, excellent! :yes:

thehow33
06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't know what Buiz is talking about your flame arrestor stud being too short for because there is no way of really telling with out taking the arrestor off. i think it looks great....I do agree with changing your carb feed lines. they don't look safe to me, i would not use simply hose camps on fuel lines. use solid metal feed lines with fittings.

Planetwarmer
06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't know what Buiz is talking about your flame arrestor stud being too short for because there is no way of really telling with out taking the arrestor off.

Click on the picture of the top of the motor and then zoom in. Then look at the locking nut in the center of the flame arrestor, and you will see that the stud doesn't stick all the way through the nut. The stud needs to have a few threads exposed. As it is now, the nut isn't performing as a lock nut.

tmh
06-21-2010, 07:13 AM
What are you using for a tow vehicle as the car in the one picture looks small in relation to the boat?
T.M. Hayes

thehow33
06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Click on the picture of the top of the motor and then zoom in. Then look at the locking nut in the center of the flame arrestor, and you will see that the stud doesn't stick all the way through the nut. The stud needs to have a few threads exposed. As it is now, the nut isn't performing as a lock nut.

got ya, I didn't notice that before.:bonk:

fysis
06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
HiBuzilla thank´s for your interrest in my Donzi and sharing your experience with me. We have a forum like this over here to but for all brands. They once a year put toghether a shoot out that i was happy to bee on the top of the podium for the up to 22 " class with my Donzi . bought it 6 months earlier less engine ,trans. trailer. was a 98 smallblock. Did the trailer, interior. Imcosteering ,railing, plexi and so on .Used an HP 500 blue with a Bravo x, 27"turbo propp, and a shower for the drive. It al worked well and felt steady at top speeds of 81.5mph or 71 knots as the proper term are at the water You MPH everywhere guys.(Just kidding)About the enterence on this site . Sorry about the Z decals .did´n know the story behind them , just thought they looked nice and was factory stuff. about my fuel supply: Ok maybe it dont look 100% proffessional and safe , but it´s very functionaland tested by me even at 14 psi . With the Mallory 140 GPH behind it, at 7 psi at the carb it flows to feed more ponys than i can hoist in my engine compartment. Have you ever clocked your fuel supply system to see how much it actually gives at the carb??The stock Mercruiser Hp 500 that i used last season if i compare fuel systems was in my opinion questionable with it´s 90 degrees turns , T fittings and very thin lines i saw preassure drops more than ones.About the flame arrestor bolt that was another subject that came up .I promise you al that the plastic lock nut that i used for years won´t shake loose under the worst conditions and i always tight it by hand. I just make thoose points to tell you that very few details in my pet projekts are left without a lot of thoughts.This sounds like a vise guy but that´s not my intention.My intention is to exchange ideas with you about going fast in a 22 because there are so many of you over there with that experience i think. Buzilla you said that a 2 inch shorter drive would increase speed and i think so to but like the never ending noscone discusion that ´s going on here my "guess " would bee that the advantage of it would come alive and give some benefits at around 80+ mph and up ???Some of you guys must have some valid figures about the gain on a 22?? and the drawbacks when it comes to turn and grip.One Question . What did you meen by the trim tabs quirk at 84-88???by the way they are 4 inch longer than on the photos but i never use them under speed. Just to "tax" with to keep the noose down.Yes i´m going to try some 3 blade propps for top speed. Thank´s for al your tips Bjorn sweden:sweden:
fysis... your engine room is really well layed out and sanitary.... LOVE the headers in black... nothing is there without a purpose and the harness is hidden, and not draped over the top.. can't say mine looks that good..

a couple things that I noticed >> one is the fuel line to the carb splitter tube should be 1/2" ID blue USCG hose, then 3/8" tube to the carb bowls, you should NOT use rubber hose and clamps as I see... not a big visual change there, but it would be MUCH safer and clean things up 100%... you NEED 12" hose up to the splitter to feed those 540 rats that live under those gorgeous valve covers...

the other is >> the center stud for your air cleaner should be 2-3 threads through the nylock nut, but not hitting the hatch.... right now it can vibrate loose... and thats not a good thing...

then >> it looks like you have a standard lower unit, so a 2" shorty IMCO would pick up a ton of speed, but they aren't cheap... the 4 blade prop is holding you back a few grunts as well... with the short single ram tabs you have there is a handling quirk about 84-88 but a shorty and good 3 blade prop like a TXP or Hydromotive should help stablize that...

fysis
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM

a couple things that I noticed >> one is the fuel line to the carb splitter tube should be 1/2" ID blue USCG hose, then 3/8" tube to the carb bowls, you should NOT use rubber hose and clamps as I see... not a big visual change there, but it would be MUCH safer and clean things up 100%... you NEED 1/2" hose up to the splitter to feed those 540 rats that live under those gorgeous valve covers...

Hi Buzilla . Again take you up on your advises on the most but what about the tabs 84-88 quirk ??? the boat will hit water this week and i let you know about the progress after proper engine break in (get the rings to seal as tight as possible) And the basic settings done.:sweden:

Planetwarmer
06-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Those are some serious warning indicator lights.

mrfixxall
06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Buzilla . Again take you up on your advises on the most but what about the tabs 84-88 quirk ??? the boat will hit water this week and i let you know about the progress after proper engine break in (get the rings to seal as tight as possible) And the basic settings done.:sweden:

you want to open up a serious case of whoop ass put this on your boat:yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62429

fysis
08-02-2010, 03:41 AM
yes the Black Hawks looks so right. For next year there will be an imco shortie. At the shoot out this weekend i run 87.5 mph with a TXP 29 other guys there that had tried the TXP:s had the experience that it was kind of "heavy" taking exess of power compared to other brands. I don´t now ?? the boat was as stable as with the turbo fysion 27 4 blade the only draw backs was grip when getting up of the water and some slight vibrations at lower speeds around 2500-3500 rpm compared to the 4 blades. I would like to try another propp 28 or 29 . 3 or 4 blades. suggestions??? Regards Bjorn:sweden: