PDA

View Full Version : Morse Throttle Teak Knob from 66 Ski Sporter

BobinCovington
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I was wondering if anyone has refinished the teak Donzi Marine Logo knob on the throttle control. Mine looks good but has a crack in it. I was planning to use some west systems epoxy (try my best to match color) and then varnish. The other thought was to have a new teak knob made and then try to save the logo from the original. any thoughts or experiences out there...?

Kirbyvv
06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Bertram Boy (cliff Wind) used to have these available. I don't know if there are any left, but worth a call.

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/5-Reproduction-Walnut-Shifter-Knobs

DonziJon
06-17-2010, 12:14 PM
If you want the glued joint to hold together, the only glue I have found is Weldwood Resorcinol . If you just want to fill the crack, use whatever matches. Teak does NOT hold varnish (or glue) very well. Sand the old varnish off and Rub the teak with a piece of Bronze Wool. The more you rub it the smoother and more Radient the wood will become. You will like the results.

BobinCovington
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
after a little digging (and reading)...I guess they are walnut and not teak?

Bob
06-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Mine had a small crack. Filled with epoxy. I cut off a bolt head and screwed the threads into the knob. Put it in the drill press and sanded it at low speed. Don't use too fine a grit or the varnish won't adhere very well. Several coats of varnish and it appears as new.