PDA

View Full Version : Varnish...

superhatz
06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Whelp....finally got around to looking in the fuel tank of my 1970 18 2+3...there's no saving this one. There are several inches of thick varnish.....:nilly:

So....I'll be pulling the deck and replacing the tank.....:party:

My question: Is there a good thread that describes the "tabbing" of the deck to hull?.....where exactly are these things?...and how much weight do I have to loose to find them??

Thanks!!

:)

MOP
06-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Are you sure about the several inches? A 55 gallon drum ends up with maybe 2 inches, I know a forgotten cap closed cap forgotten over the winter showed me that. Acetone will dissolve the sludge, you being in fresh water the tank could very well be in fine shape. My 22 is an 86 previously fresh water boat and the tank is fine and still in use. A few gallons of acetone and a few miles of trailering on bumpy roads may save you!

hdsadey
06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
check these people out! fuel tank cleaners on site. there are in Florida but maybe you can find someone close to you that does the same. from what I hear it works great and reasonably priced.

http://sludgesuckers.net/

gcarter
06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
I think a far superior method of fastening is through bolting. By using using 1/4-20 csk screws and nuts through the joint and #10 csk screws and nuts through the rail is a VERY secure method. In the area of the sides of the cockpit and all the way forward in the bow, you can install TEE nuts, and screw in the fasteners from the outside.
It's neat, sanitary, and very strong.
No more re-tightening the screws through the rail.

superhatz
06-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Interesting on the sludge removal....I'd much rather do this. I couldn't find much info that led me to believe it was worth trying. I'd love to not take this boat apart yet....:)

hdsadey
06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
what i've been told is they come out to your boat pump in a solution that breaks down the varnish and then come back in a few days of first pump and remove it then do it again if need be. a friend if mine has a Maverick flats boat that sat for 8 years and he talked to these guys. they said no problem, but he hasnt had it done yet. he was refered to Sludge Suckers from a tarpon boat captain out of Boca Grande Fl. who apparently has had good experience with the company. the Maverick has a 32 gallon tank and i think the quote was around $200-250, believe it also came with a guarantee

Cuda
06-16-2010, 07:29 AM
what i've been told is they come out to your boat pump in a solution that breaks down the varnish and then come back in a few days of first pump and remove it then do it again if need be. a friend if mine has a Maverick flats boat that sat for 8 years and he talked to these guys. they said no problem, but he hasnt had it done yet. he was refered to Sludge Suckers from a tarpon boat captain out of Boca Grande Fl. who apparently has had good experience with the company. the Maverick has a 32 gallon tank and i think the quote was around $200-250, believe it also came with a guarantee
I couldn't afford to cross the bridge into Boca Grande. They charged me extra because I was driving a dually. Most of the people in town drive golf carts.:wink:

hdsadey
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
LOL! yep them bastards charge you extra for 6 wheels instead of 2 axles and if your on a motorcycle its like 2.50

The Hedgehog
06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
If the tank is in good shape you can save it.

I have heard good things about the fuel sludge guys. I wish that we had some up here. I would love them to do the tanks on my Roamer next time I get low on diesel.

If you don't have much in the tank, I would try MOP's trick first.

Cuda
06-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I had an old Jet Ski with two stroke oil and gas sitting in it a long time.
It looked just like No.1 Permatex.

superhatz
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I poured 2 gallons of acetone in this morning.....I'll keep you guys posted!

:)

AIRGRADY
06-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I used sludgesuckers a few years ago when i needed to get rid of about 20 gallons of six year old stale gas in the Hornet. They came right to the house and were kind enough to look over my fuel tank when there. I cannot recall the charge for the service but I do remember it costing more than I anticipated.

mrfixxall
06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I couldn't afford to cross the bridge into Boca Grande. They charged me extra because I was driving a dually. Most of the people in town drive golf carts.:wink:

try living in illinois,you have to pay a toll on every highway ranging from .50 to 5 bucks every 10- 30 miles..it sucks here!

tmh
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I just got done draining and disposing of 28 gallons of gas in the 18c from last December. Perhaps the gas hadn't gone bad but I hadn't used a stabilizer and I didn't want to have problems. It cost almost as much to dispose of it as to buy it. I should have filled up the lawn mower with it ( 5 gallon tank). I thought I'd use the boat some over the winter but I finally got a new tow vehicle. I'm all set to go this Sunday.
T.M. Hayes

MOP
06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
A tank I did awhile back ended up taking 8 gallons of acetone also fresh gas and driving around the neighborhood. With our V tanks you get a fairly concentrated mass at the lowest point, let the acetone sit and work on it for awhile probably a few days then add a few gallons of fresh gas and go for a ride.
The sloshing around it important, after awhile check the consistency. I use a yard stick to scape at the bottom to check the muck every so often. When you get to the point that you no longer can get anything to stay on the end of the stick drain it out, then put 5 gallons of fresh gas for the last slosh and drain that should leave it decent.

Cuda
06-17-2010, 08:30 AM
try living in illinois,you have to pay a toll on every highway ranging from .50 to 5 bucks every 10- 30 miles..it sucks here!
That's one reason I don't live in Illinois. The other reason is that cheese grits and catfish aren't on the menu.:)

hdsadey
06-17-2010, 09:53 AM
+1 on them cheese grits and catfish

superhatz
06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm thinking about adding a few gallons of E85....and maybe some large ball bearings?....then drive it around a bit (trailer).

What say ye?

:crossfing:

Cuda
06-17-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't recall what I used, probably diesel to clean it out with. I know I got it running. I had two of them to get running.

Planetwarmer
06-18-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm thinking about adding a few gallons of E85....and maybe some large ball bearings?....then drive it around a bit (trailer).

What say ye?

:crossfing:
I bet the E-85 wont do it. Acetone might. You can also buy B 12 Chem tool in 1 gallon containers. Put a gallon or 2 of that in there. Tilt the trailer nose up for a day, nose down for a day, then level for a day. That would clean it right up.

I talked to my organic chem professor about why ethanol destroys fuel systems that aren't designed for it, and he said that the fuel basically "dries out" the rubber seals. I know people call it a solvent, but I don't think it is any more of a solvent than regular 100 percent petroleum based gasoline.

hdsadey
06-18-2010, 07:33 AM
I do a ton of carburators on motorcycles because of this ethanol crap. it looks to me as if the fuel is actually growing algae, when i open them up they're usually filled with a green slime. i did have one instance on an outboard plastic tank that had sat out in the direct sunlight for 5 weeks or so, the 2 cycle mix was an orange color (screwdriver like orange) and rancid.

Planetwarmer
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
And, E-85 decomposes substantially faster than petrol as hdsadey indicated.

Cuda
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
All the gas pumps around here say, "No more than 10% Ethanol". I don't know what that means. If you have old gas, add a gallon of Toulene.

BUIZILLA
06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
All the gas pumps around here say, "No more than 10% Ethanol". I don't know what that means. it means there is no more than 10% ethanol.. :pimp:

Conquistador_del_mar
06-18-2010, 06:11 PM
You can also buy B 12 Chem tool in 1 gallon containers. Put a gallon or 2 of that in there. Tilt the trailer nose up for a day, nose down for a day, then level for a day. That would clean it right up.

Bingo! Aaron, add a gallon of B12 Chemdip to the tank. Keep sloshing it around over a few days and I guarantee the varnish will be dissolved by the Chemdip. That is how I cleaned out my Magnum tanks. The stuff is sold as a parts cleaner in a gallon can with a parts tray. Bill