PDA

View Full Version : No Hegerty insurance for me

Planetwarmer
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
I filled out all of the info, and they rejected me because my 22C goes faster than 45 MPH.

Looks like I am going to stay with Progressive.

MOP
06-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Kind of STUPID! A large cross section of boats can do over 45, your average 2-3 engine center console can do upwards of 60!

HOWARD O
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Been happy with these guys:

http://www.foremost.com/products/boat/

mphatc
06-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Hagerty insures both my Magnum 27 and my Corsican. They are well aware that my Corsican is a 70 mph boat . .
Although your received reply was because the boat goes over 45 mph, the reality is likely that a 22C does not fit their description of a "classic boat" and is not rare nor considered to be an antique .
I went through a huge effort to get them to accept the Corsican, surprisingly the Magnum 27 Sport was easier!
Mario L.

The Hedgehog
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Hagerty insures both my Magnum 27 and my Corsican. They are well aware that my Corsican is a 70 mph boat . .
Although your received reply was because the boat goes over 45 mph, the reality is likely that a 22C does not fit their description of a "classic boat" and is not rare nor considered to be an antique .
I went through a huge effort to get them to accept the Corsican, surprisingly the Magnum 27 Sport was easier!
Mario L.

Question, why would anyone go through a huge effort to get a boat insured?

Are they that cheap or that good?

There are a number of good specialty insurers that will do a nice agreed upon policy on a classic boat without a bunch of effort.

mphatc
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Hedgehog,

After trying to get insurance for the boat for a year through many companies, including all the conventional firms, and all the classic companies, only Hagerty would insure my Corsican.

When I bought the Corsican 10 years ago insurance was easy . . US Boat accepted it with a good marine survey. I let the policy lapse while the boat was in pieces, and they would not renew.

I was turned down by every other company because I didn't hide the fact that the boat can exceed 70 mph and age of the boat. It's a 1969.
This even though I have an up to date marine survey and the boat is mechanically and electrically restored made no difference.

Mario L.

The Hedgehog
06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Hedgehog,
After trying to get insurance for the boat for a year through many companies, including all the conventional firms, and all the classic companies, only Hagerty would insure my Corsican.
When I bought the Corsican 10 years ago insurance was easy . . US Boat accepted it with a good marine survey. I let the policy lapse while the boat was in pieces, and they would not renew.
I was turned down by every other company because I didn't hide the fact that the boat can exceed 70 mph and age of the boat. It's a 1969.
This even though I have an up to date marine survey and the boat is mechanically and electrically restored made no difference.
Mario L.

Wow, ANPAC (American National) does performance boats and they did not flinch on my 1973 X-18. I had to do the survey thing and provide some pics but they did a nice agreed upon policy. They also did my 1974 Chris Craft Roamer. I have been doing business with them since the 27ZX. They actually sent someone out for pics one time. I have had lots of discussions with them and have been impressed with their underwriter's knowledge. I am getting ready to up the policy on the Chris due to some recent improvements. They have not made a big deal of that.

For the more esoteric stuff, a number of my friends have had success with Markel.

mphatc
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Hedgehog,

You have a history with the company through your big boat. This makes a huge difference . . only Hagerty admitted that my bringing two vintage boats to the table made a difference . . .

Advice to anyone with an old Donzi, or old speedboat capable of speeds in excess of 45 mph, never let your existing policy lapse!

Mario

Kirbyvv
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
I use AMICA, but I have my house and 4 cars with them also. I've also used AMICA for 30 years. That may make a difference. I did have to have a survey of my x-18 done, but had no problems having it added to the policy. FYI I've had great service from AMICA, storm damage to my house and auto accidents.

The Hedgehog
06-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Hedgehog,
You have a history with the company through your big boat. This makes a huge difference . . only Hagerty admitted that my bringing two vintage boats to the table made a difference . . .
Advice to anyone with an old Donzi, or old speedboat capable of speeds in excess of 45 mph, never let your existing policy lapse!
Mario

Yep, relationships help. When I started with them, I only had my boat. They would not do my house because of the value and hurricane losses in the area.

Just like banking and other needs, treat them right and they will treat you right. In the banking world, I am amazed at how many people don't get that. Folks will do their mortgage with Country Wide, have a checking account at a large national bank and car loan at the credit union. Then they are suprised when they take a more difficult commercial loan to a community bank and the banker does not really fall all over them to get it done. All to save a few basis points or few dollars here and there. That is the deal that I make with all of my business relationships. Treat me right and you will get my business. Probably all of it. I made good with ANPAC. They helped me and now have a house, 4 cars, 4 boats and a jet ski. Yes, I do occasionally validate the rate but as long as they are competitive, they have the business.

You may want to check into Markel. They specialize in performance boats.