PDA

View Full Version : Needs Advise

LiquidLunch
06-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello all Im a newbie here, and am about to shoot myself in the foot asking a few (probably dumb) questions.

I own a Early 90s' F18 I purchaced in 2005 and absolutly love this vessel, I lived in South florida and was able to fish and dive from it off shore more then where I live now, in North Florida. I sold the Motor on it a year ago and have been dry storing the hull and trailer. Was contimplating on selling but this boat is not worth what I belive it should be.

My questions are.

If I restore the boat and repower will the value increase. If so what should be my major concentrations in restoration?

I would like to install a transom bracket with addition boyancy, Has anyone done this to this boat? If so, did it help your performance at all ?

Dont get me wrong this is one of the nicest rides I have ever owned, But doesnt seem logical to me to have an offshore fishing vessel in an area that is mostly flats, and the closest reef being 30 miles offshore. It make a great pleasure cruiser and is quite comfy with the whole family. Im just unsure if it (or any boat for that matter) is worth sinking the cash into to reselll in the future.

Again sory this is so vague, but as you can probably tell im very torn over the subject if it should stay or go. Just looking for some input, eventhough biased it may be.:nilly:

Planetwarmer
06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
If you are looking to recoup the money you put into this boat, you will most likely not even come close.

You just need to decide if you want to keep that particular boat, or sell what you have and pour the money you would have used to restore your current boat into a new boat.

Decide what will work best for you, and what you can afford.

Cuda
06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
You will NEVER get your money out. Only restore a boat because you love it, not for monetary gain.

z33donzi
06-14-2010, 07:45 AM
I HAVE A 1986 Z33 CROSSBOW for sale right i have 43k in it i just lowered it to 26.000.00 i say hummmmmmm this boat is ready in so many ways my health wont allow me to keep this boat and iam so close to the finish line heres a you tube link i say buy my boat and have fun now -l o l- click here for lesson well learned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBbYu8Sv1w&feature=channel i say pass on the restore unless you just love the boat

LiquidLunch
06-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advise. Its a tough decision, I absoulutly love the boat. I wasnt really looking for monetary gain, I know I have already lost that years ago. I appreciate the heads up, If anyone else has a thought let me know.
Z33 watching you video makes me wanna getout there and start workin on it now even though it 98 degrees in the shade right now. Boat looks and runs awsome, great job.

Cuda
06-16-2010, 02:17 PM
now even though it 98 degrees in the shade right now. Boat looks and runs awsome, great job.
Where do you live?

VetteLT193
06-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm in Tallahassee. My boat lives in Carrabelle.

Offshore fishing isn't all that bad here. My old boss runs an 18 foot center console and goes all over fishing. The sandbars aren't bad for hanging out either.

My brother in law is out of Panama City and fishes all the time offshore.

Diving though, not so much.

either way, if you want the challenge and will do the work yourself it can be fun and won't totally kill financially. do your research up front though.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I HAVE A 1986 Z33 CROSSBOW for sale right i have 43k in it i just lowered it to 26.000.00 i say hummmmmmm this boat is ready in so many ways my health wont allow me to keep this boat and iam so close to the finish line heres a you tube link i say buy my boat and have fun now -l o l- click here for lesson well learned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBbYu8Sv1w&feature=channel i say pass on the restore unless you just love the boat

One of my customer/friends dropped in this afternoon to see if I had a 14'X40' stall still available for his new boat that he just purchased this morning. After he described the boat, it turns out it is the one you were selling - small world! - :yes: Mr. Brooks is excited to get it from the shipper this weekend. Unfortunately, I did not have a stall available, but I do have the set of Hydromotive QIV 24P props for the boat. I hope your health improves. Bill

Cuda
06-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm in Tallahassee. My boat lives in Carrabelle.
Offshore fishing isn't all that bad here. My old boss runs an 18 foot center console and goes all over fishing. The sandbars aren't bad for hanging out either.
My brother in law is out of Panama City and fishes all the time offshore.
Diving though, not so much.
either way, if you want the challenge and will do the work yourself it can be fun and won't totally kill financially. do your research up front though.
I lived in Panama City twice when I was a kid. I went out on a wooden boat of my best freind's dad and caught my first kingfish. I've been hooked on kingfish ever since. You only had to go about 20 miles out to be in 100 ft of water. I don't know if the Navy still has them out there, but they had two platforms out there, one about 5 miles out, and the other about 20 miles out. They were called Stage 1 and Stage 2. My dad was at the Mine Defense Lab there. Sometimes on Saturdays, they would take one of the Navy boats out to fish. First time I was on one, it would only do 9 knots. It was rough as hell. When I saw the captain go to the rail to puke, I knew I was in for a long day. It was the first place I drove a new charter boat through the jetties. It was quite a thrill for a ten year old kid. I loved that place. The water is clear and blue so it should make some excellent diving. I used to go scalloping being pulled behind a boat.

I've gone as far as 42 miles out in the gulf on my 18. I've also fished the flats in about a foot of water.

COOL CROSSBOW
09-22-2010, 09:43 PM
You will NEVER get your money out. Only restore a boat because you love it, not for monetary gain.

You got that right.:yes: