PDA

View Full Version : Crazy battery

VetteLT193
06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Anyone seen this before?

Been awhile since I started the truck. went out today to get the 22 ready for pickup and it won't crank. nothing actually, no lights, etc.

Decided on a jump. hooked up to a battery, life is good, lights back on... now I'm up to lights on and barely turning over.

I opted to pull the batteries and charge them (duramax, 2 batts). Battery 1 pulled this morning and on trickle charge all day. Battery two I just pulled... WTF is this?

MOP
06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Yup it was just a hair lose and heated up under load.

DonziJon
06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Had a similar problem with my wifes 2005 Camry last month. Everythings fine and dandy. The next day NO Start. Battery reads 12.5 Volts. The little Green Eye is Green. Won't turn over at all..just click click. Ready to pull the starter.

I hooked up my nifty battery charger that says I can JUMP start the car from the battery charger. NOPE. So I charge the battery for three hours. The charger says ..YUP..It's charged. NOPE

I didn't have the luxury of having my truck along side to JUMP it with cause my wife took it to work. So I'm ready to concede that it needs a starter.

Wife comes home with the truck and as a last resort..lets try a JUMP from the truck. BINGO. It starts. The next day I went up to Sears and got a new battery and the Camry has been FINE ever since.

Bottom Line: They don't make battery's like they used to where you can tell ahead of time that the battery is running out of time. NOW:.. It's just BOOM. Your stuck. :bonk:

mrfixxall
06-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Yep! what mop said, i see it all the time..Make sure you replace the bolt and clean the ends real good and check the cables,the same thing will happen to the inside of the battery cables then the lug falls off the cable..

Cuda
06-14-2010, 07:41 AM
How long has the truck been sitting?

VetteLT193
06-14-2010, 09:35 AM
is this not salvageable? I'd prefer to not have to buy another if I can save it.

Not been started for a couple of weeks but I really haven't used the truck like it should be for 4 or more months. I'll start it and drive it somewhere every couple of weeks that's about it.

mrfixxall
06-14-2010, 09:51 AM
you could try a top post adaptor but it most likely got into the battery also..it will probably spew out the gel inside the battery over time,you may want to epoxy over the side terminal to keep it from loosing its gel..

VetteLT193
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
you could try a top post adaptor but it most likely got into the battery also..it will probably spew out the gel inside the battery over time,you may want to epoxy over the side terminal to keep it from loosing its gel..

that is a good idea. Thanks!