PDA

View Full Version : New tow vehicle

tmh
06-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I narrowed my search to a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT with 52k miles for $5000 and a 2003 Dodge Durangoo SLT with 55k miles for $6500. Both are original owner trucks with leather, tow package, 4.7 V8, in great shape with good Carfax's. I came close to buying an 89 Grand Wagoneer with 60k miles but the seller wanted $8k (down from his initial $10 k price). The Grand Wagoneers have a cult following but they are really 1970 technology. I looked at Jeeps, Ford Sport Tracs, and a number of pickups. My budget is $5k - $7k.

My sister saw the 2003 Durango in a parking lot in St Petersburg with a sign in the window which prompted me to search Ebay, Autotrader, and Craigslists throughout Florida. Durangos seemed to be lower priced considering age, mileage, and condition and I hadn't given them any consideration. I put a deposit on the 2003 Durango and will pick it up tomorrow after I can put it on a lift to inspect the undercarriage, just to be safe. The window sticker on the 2003 was $31k and I'm smitten to get such a nice tow vehicle for $6500. It's not my choice of color but I'll live with it (seller called it burgundy but it could be called a shade of purple).

To have a newer vehicle that I can throw the 18C behind and drive anywhere with the A/C on without concern will be wonderful. The 2000 Durango with 52k miles for $5000 is a heck of a deal as well. You have no idea how happy I am to get a true tow vehicle instead of using my 71 BMW Bavaria.
T.M. Hayes

Cuda
06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Be aware that the Dodges aren't known for their great gas mileage.

onesubdrvr
06-13-2010, 11:54 AM
I agreee with Cuda, the Dodge isn't good on Gas,... but is probably just a little under the average.

I used one for 3 years to tow my 21' Ragazza with, and had NO problems (other than a burned out tail light). Also, had a problem with the condenser for the A/C, they put it in front of the radiator, and it sprung a leak (likely from road trash), but anyway, always worked great for me. I regret trading it in about now.

Wayne