PDA

View Full Version : Need 2006 Donzi red gel.. who supplied it

Brian41
06-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I already talked to karen at Ferro and they do not have the color and do not know who supplied it to Donzi any help would be appreciated. Thanks Brian

mrfixxall
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
mini craft florida..if they dont have it then send the a sample and they will match it..

http://www.minicraft.com/

Brian41
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you I got it ordered

gcarter
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
FWIW I've bought over $1000.00 worth of red gel from Minicraft.
If you look at their Donzi page, you'll see there're two different reds used over the years, one early and one late.
My '88 Testa Rossa originally had the early red color, but I replaced it w/the later color because it is a lot more orange and is "brighter" than the earlier color.

LKSD
06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Neither Company supplied it in 06.. It was made by HK.. ;)

VetteLT193
06-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Neither Company supplied it in 06.. It was made by HK.. ;)

Spectrum made it as far as I know. At least that is what Donzi used on mine... and the color I ordered has years on it starting in 2003. "Donzi lite white" is the color I got for my boat. Just came in this week actually.

They sell patch paste kits made to order. $21.30 each. They also sell gel straight up but the patch paste is probably what you need for a small repair.

The phone number is 800-754-5516

Chuck from the Donzi warranty dept. gave me the information, color code, etc. to order.

LKSD
06-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Spectrum made it as far as I know. At least that is what Donzi used on mine... and the color I ordered has years on it starting in 2003. "Donzi lite white" is the color I got for my boat. Just came in this week actually.

They sell patch paste kits made to order. $21.30 each. They also sell gel straight up but the patch paste is probably what you need for a small repair.

The phone number is 800-754-5516 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************800-754-5516******end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Chuck from the Donzi warranty dept. gave me the information, color code, etc. to order.

Spectrum did NOT make the HK Research gel coat. They did however scan, have and make some repair kits that they made for those colors that were made by the HK Company.. ;) That is probably how you got the color repair kit for yours... :)

I actually have never been really excited about using mini craft's products in comparison to some of the other companies we deal with.. But that is more of a personal thing I guess...lol :) Jamie / Lakeside

gcarter
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Spectrum did NOT make the HK Research gel coat. They did however scan, have and make some repair kits that they made for those colors that were made by the HK Company.. ;) That is probably how you got the color repair kit for yours... :)

I actually have never been really excited about using mini craft's products in comparison to some of the other companies we deal with.. But that is more of a personal thing I guess...lol :) Jamie / Lakeside

Jamie, I tend to agree w/you. They've more than doubled prices in the last two years and seem to have an attitude of "customer dis-service" in that same time frame.
I've used them in the past, and may yet again, because they're located 10 miles from me.

LKSD
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Jamie, I tend to agree w/you. They've more than doubled prices in the last two years and seem to have an attitude of "customer dis-service" in that same time frame.
I've used them in the past, and may yet again, because they're located 10 miles from me.

George, You are correct, but that is just one of the reasons I have.. I personally don't like how their gel works in comparison to the other companies. You need or at least it is "recommended" by them to use their reducer/Patch aid & their MEK, Their tint adjustment kit, blah blah blah.... I always felt it more of a PITA to work with their product from those standpoints. Also I have never been happy with the way their products atomize & cover in comparison to others.. In general, I don't use their stuff unless I Have to... :) J

mrfixxall
06-12-2010, 12:00 PM
George, You are correct, but that is just one of the reasons I have.. I personally don't like how their gel works in comparison to the other companies. You need or at least it is "recommended" by them to use their reducer/Patch aid & their MEK, Their tint adjustment kit, blah blah blah.... I always felt it more of a PITA to work with their product from those standpoints. Also I have never been happy with the way their products atomize & cover in comparison to others.. In general, I don't use their stuff unless I Have to... :) J

So what your saying if you paint a car with ppg base coat you would use DuPont reducers and hardeners? :)

LKSD
06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
So what your saying if you paint a car with ppg base coat you would use DuPont reducers and hardeners? :)

That's not what I meant smart azz.... :wink:

What I mean is that there is a standard MEK that most companies use that is interchangeable with most companies gel's. Also most companies endorse or have their gel set to accept use of styrene or a high gloss additive like Duratec..

The stuff from mini craft is supposed to use their special 1/2 strength catalyst, their special blend of patch aid.

They don't like their stuff being used, with Duratech or styrene reducers or high gloss additives.

I have heard their reasons why & they are weak in my opinion. But I use a companies products in accordance with their instructions. By doing so with mini craft's, I find using their stuff doesn't yield the results that I can get with most other companies gelcoat products.

Also It means carrying more products to do the same type of work.. In My opinion other companies make better Gel coat products that spray, Lay, cover & catalize much better than Mini craft's do... Thats all... :D

J

mrfixxall
06-12-2010, 01:31 PM
That's not what I meant smart azz.... :wink:

What I mean is that there is a standard MEK that most companies use that is interchangeable with most companies gel's. Also most companies endorse or have their gel set to accept use of styrene or a high gloss additive like Duratec..

The stuff from mini craft is supposed to use their special 1/2 strength catalyst, their special blend of patch aid.

They don't like their stuff being used, with Duratech or styrene reducers or high gloss additives.

I have heard their reasons why & they are weak in my opinion. But I use a companies products in accordance with their instructions. By doing so with mini craft's, I find using their stuff doesn't yield the results that I can get with most other companies gelcoat products.

Also It means carrying more products to do the same type of work.. In My opinion other companies make better Gel coat products that spray, Lay, cover & catalize much better than Mini craft's do... Thats all... :D

J

i know what your saying,they also seem yo nickel and dime you to death if you want their additives added to their products they also don't discount the removed materials when they add wax or the high gloss additive,,reminds me of buying a gallon of imron and only getting 3 qts..:nilly:

gcarter
06-12-2010, 02:25 PM
i know what your saying,they also seem yo nickel and dime you to death if you want their additives added to their products they also don't discount the removed materials when they add wax or the high gloss additive,,reminds me of buying a gallon of imron and only getting 3 qts..:nilly:

I started buying their wax and adding it myself. It saved me a considerable amount of money.